It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

pain on SIDES of legs

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
mikegeig
(male)

mikegeig HB User
pain on SIDES of legs

To start, I was in the Military and I used to run several miles a day. Since then, I have stopped running and gained approximately 90 pounds.

I have started running again in an attempt to lose weight. I am experiencing incredible pain on the outside of both legs, from knee to ankle. The pain comes when I am doing anything that involves stablization: running, walking fast, mowing on a hill, etc.

To describe the pain better: As my leg swings forward in its normal motion, there is no pain. Once my leg is planted infront of me, and weight is applied, there still is no pain. As soon as I pull off to swing my other leg forward, that is when i experience extreme pain. When I am done working out (and my legs are throbbing), if I bend my foot sideways, and apply pressure to the outside ridge of my foot (how you would expect to stretch the outside of your leg) the pain is extreme.

Besides this pain, the rest of my legs, and my cardio, is fine. What can I do to remove the pain or strengthen this portion of my legs so that I can continue to run?

Rest does not seem to be an issue, as I have tried to start running again a few times over the years, and my legs hurt the same way, every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mikegeig; 05-09-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: pain on SIDES of legs

Since rest does not correct it, you might consider the fact that there is a problem with your mechanics. Your footstrike/form is such that the outside muscles are overly stressed. If not corrected, it is unlikely it will subside. The best and cheapest thing to do is to go to a chiropractor and explain your problem to him or her. Then they can make a more professional judgment.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

You said your cardio is fine. Does that mean you were checked by a doctor for cardiovascular disease? How complete was the check-up? Did they do a stress test?

Sometimes a person's heart can seem to be fine but they can have Peripheral Vascular Disease in their legs (PVD). This is when arteries to the legs become narrowed or blocked and lack of blood flow causes pain. The only reason I mention this is because you said you gained 90 pounds.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
mikegeig
(male)

mikegeig HB User

My apologies. By "my cardio is fine" I meant to say that when I stop running due to the pain in my legs, my heart rate is not very escalated, and I am not out of breath. The pain in my legs is literally the only thing preventing me from running longer and harder.

Closed Thread