It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Ripped

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Lesliesaur
(female)

Lesliesaur HB User
Ripped

I am a skinny little white girl who wants to gain weight, a lot, in muscle, fast. HOW?

(I'm 16 and want to go from 84lbs to 90)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Ripped

Lesliesaur,

It's difficult without knowing very much about you. And how fast is "fast"? Are we talking about days, weeks or months?

What's your height? What's your present physical condition? No health problems? What's your diet like? Can you give an example of what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? You have to eat a balanced diet of healthy whole foods before you begin trying to build muscle.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Gaining muscle typically means doing strength training (weight / bodyweight / resistance exercises), particularly of your large muscles like back (pullups, rows), chest (pushups, dips), and legs (squats, deadlifts), while eating a healthy diet with sufficient calories and protein to support muscle growth.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Konitz
(male)

Konitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliesaur View Post
I am a skinny little white girl who wants to gain weight, a lot, in muscle, fast. HOW?

(I'm 16 and want to go from 84lbs to 90)
It's great to see someone so motivated about the gym, the first thing I would do is calculated how many calories you would need to consume at that weight using a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator; just type that into a search engine and you should get the info you need on your calorie requirements.

Food is the main factor to determine if you will reach your goals, you need to have a high protein diet that will help you to gain lean muscle. Take you body weight goal and multiply it by 1.5 and that will be how many grams of protein you need to consume daily. The rest of your calories should come from 30% carbs and 20% Fats. You should have you carbs early in the day and before you go to the gym and your fats before bedtime.

Now for weight training. I do not know you experience in the gym so I will assume you are a beginner. I would recommended a routine that has 3-4 exercises that you do 4 sets and somewhere between 8-10 reps. The gym and building muscle can get very complicated and confusing so I recommend you keep it relatively simple.

Following this plan I think it would be relatively easy to gain those 6 lbs you are looking for.

If you don't mind me asking what are your goals or needs for this increase in muscle?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Lesliesaur
(female)

Lesliesaur HB User

JohnR41;

I was hoping to look relatively stronger by the time school starts again, so maybe early September.
I'm 5'1, I'm not sure about my physical condition haha, no health problems, and I usually eat french fries and macaroni. I'm slowly trying to add in salads and protein, though.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-23-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Lesliesaur
(female)

Lesliesaur HB User

Konitz;

It said I needed about 135 grams of protein daily, but the protein shakes I bought only have 14 in each.
Right now I'm curling 10lb weights, and can generally go about 30-35 reps before needing to rest, but started at only being able to do about 5 at a time. Should I go up on the weights now?

My doctor wanted me to gain the weight, and since muscle is heavier than fat, I thought this would be a good way to also stay in shape.

Thank you for your answer. (: It's very helpful.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-23-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
JohnR41;

I was hoping to look relatively stronger by the time school starts again, so maybe early September.
I'm 5'1, I'm not sure about my physical condition haha, no health problems, and I usually eat french fries and macaroni. I'm slowly trying to add in salads and protein, though.
I read where you said you're curling 10 lb. weights and doing 30 - 35 reps.. Hey, that's good! And you're doing that on french fries and macaroni!

That reminds me of a man I knew who worked at a gym as a personal trainer. He was 62 years old but was in great physical condition. He was all muscle. He put out a challenge that he would outlift any fourty-year-old in the gym but as far as I know, no one ever took him up on his challenge.

I wanted to find out what his secret was so I asked him how he got to be so strong. He said he started lifting weights when he was 12 years old and never stopped. He told me he was working out for 3 hours every morning before driving 1 hour to work and working 8 hours in the gym. Pretty impressive. Then I asked him what he was eating and he didn't say eggs and meat as I expected. Of all things, he said "PASTA!" "I eat lots of PASTA!" I thought he was joking so I asked him again and he said: "I'm not kidding, I eat a lot of pasta."

Personally, I don't think a high starch diet is the best way to eat but it shows that you can build muscle on something other than a diet that's high in animal protein.

For your height and weight I would guess that you could get by on about 34 to 44 grams of protein. And from what you have said, it seems like that might be more than what you consume now. For you, I would put the upper limit at about 50 grams. If you could do that and still eat a balanced diet, you should be okay. What's "bad", in my opinion, is when a person focuses on one aspect like animal protein and neglects other aspects like healthy fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.

Conclusion: Try to eat a healthy balance of whole foods (neither high starch nor high animal protein). Develop a good workout routine and stick with it, whether it be one hour every day or one hour every other day (depending on the individual and how hard you work, you may need a day for muscles to recover).

This is how I get my exercise----->

Then I do the eye-roll ----->

And the tongue extension ------>

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-25-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: word change/ changed 60 grams to 50 etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Konitz
(male)

Konitz HB User

Quote:
Konitz;

It said I needed about 135 grams of protein daily, but the protein shakes I bought only have 14 in each.
Right now I'm curling 10lb weights, and can generally go about 30-35 reps before needing to rest, but started at only being able to do about 5 at a time. Should I go up on the weights now?

My doctor wanted me to gain the weight, and since muscle is heavier than fat, I thought this would be a good way to also stay in shape.

Thank you for your answer. (: It's very helpful.
By a whey isolate protein powder such as, 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein that has 25g per scoop, You could have 1 scoop right in the morning when you wake up. I would also, have some cottage cheese before bed because that is a slow digesting protein that help keep you full and building muscle while you sleep through the night. During the day having chicken breast or fish would be excellent proteins to fill your requirements.

You don't want to to that many reps in a row. Since you want to build muscle you should do around 10 reps at a heavier weight. Do 4 exercises with 4 sets for each major muscle group: legs, back, chest, shoulders. I could write pages and pages on diet and workouts, but for you it would be better to stick to the basics.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
=Lesliesaur,
It said I needed about 135 grams of protein daily but the protein shakes I bought only have 14 in each.
Hi again,

I just received some information today from the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service. It's a three page report by Janice R. Hermann, Ph.D., RD/LD. The heading: "Protein and the Body". In this report she provides "The Dietary Reference Intake" which is the amount of protein required for the average person. It's a simple formula: Just multiply your weight X 0.4 That will give you 33.6 grams of protein. Obviously, you will need to add more if you're still growing or for working out extensively. The question is: How much more?

Another report is from the University of Florida. "Food and Fitness: Myths and Truths": This one comes with a warning for antletes who think they need protein or amino acid supplements. It states that even if you're an active person, you don't need supplements. You don't need supplements and they can be dangerous. They say this even though they acknowledge that an athlete does need more protein. According to this report, you should be able to easily get the extra protein you need from the food you eat.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-25-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adjust quote

Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
mamasaur
(female)

mamasaur HB User

Last edited by mamasaur; 05-28-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Jahkaka
(male)

Jahkaka HB User

Quote:
Konitz;

You don`t need anything near 135g of protein every day. I take in a bit more than that much and I weigh 160lbs doing 90-120 minutes of vigorous exercise. You can get protein shakes that have 60g of protein per shake. Just ask someone at a GNC store. Staff there is generally very knowledgeable.

Closed Thread