It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

My mood from exercising is actually getting worse, not better...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
kraig
(male)

kraig HB User
My mood from exercising is actually getting worse, not better...

All:

I'm not sure if I'll get any feedback on this, but I'm having serious mood swings and going through the full gamut of emotions ever since I started P90X. On the one hand its a no-brainer that these workouts work - the calorie burn alone is enough to create a deduction each day (if weight loss is one of your goals as it is mine). I'm done with the first 30 days and I feel my skin tightening, my muscles hardening and my clothes becoming looser. In fact, I had a 10 lb. weight loss this month, so I should be thrilled right? Why then am I so miserable?

I know there are hundreds of books out there that talk about exercise and nutrition and their relation to brain chemistry. I know that working out and eating right trigger positive changes to hormones and chemicals such as Serotonin (the chemical that regulates mood), but for the past 10 days or so I have had swings that have made me feel depressed, angry, bitter, withdrawn, etc. Prior to P90X I was sort of running on an even keel by just doing moderate jogging and watching what I ate - feeling good about my progress. The only thing I can think of that has changed since starting P90X is that I have increased my protein intake considerably, my workouts have intensified and I drink the Results & Recover formula. I eat well - about 2000 calories a day and it's a mix of quality unporcessed whole foods with a ratio of about 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fat. Energy is decent and I can finish each DVD (except for Yoga) although I am exhausted after each one (as I'm supposed to be).

I tried Googling these feelings I'm having and the only thing I can think of is that maybe I am overtraining. I find that hard to believe. In fact, the negative mood was intensified over the last couple of days because I took 2 days off to "recover" just in case it was overtraining. But all that did was make me feel worse and extremely guilty for not exercising. Ugh! I want to feel like this is a great thing I'm doing for myself but for every step forward I feel like I'm taking 2 steps back.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: My mood from exercising is actually getting worse, not better...

Kraig,

I believe "overtraining" may have something to do with it, even though you took two days off. I just took about 4 days off for the same reason. Take as many days as you need. Everyone is different.

If I were you, would go back to moderate jogging and watching what you eat. Why make yourself miserable? It's not worth it. Go back to the way you were eating before and forget the high protein diet. Just try to get adequate protein from the food you eat, rather than food + protein supplements.

45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fat yields a HIGH protein diet. Your protein is not supposed to be higher than your carbs.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-29-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I used to find that weight lifting at a certain time of day would cause me to have an episode of near suicidal depression immediately after that would last for a couple of hours. VERY disconcerting, as I'm not a depressed person by nature. I was working out at lunch, I changed that to work out after work now and I do my weight lifting first and cardio second. That seems to help. Have no idea why.

Like you I could find NOTHING on the net indicating anyone else ever had this problem. Not that I'm glad you have this problem but I'm glad to know that someone else has experienced it.

I'd try moving the workout to a different time of day and see if it helps.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Interesting stuff. I too am experiencing a post work out funk. I was attributing it to being hormonal, but it has been happening after every work out now. I have been pushing myself very hard and enjoying the actual workout because of it, but I am so lethargic afterwards and very moody.
I used to get a 'high' after a good workout that would energize me throughout the day.
I think I am over doing it and I need to dial back my workouts and see if things do not improve.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I agree with John, get away from the high protein. Most of it probably isn't even being used by the body; it's just too much. And obviously something isn't right, or you would be enjoying yourself. You probably aren't getting enough glucose available to yourself because mayber, I don't know for sure, you aren't consuming enough carbohydrates. That will easily make you feel terrible and will not go away.

The other issue I find is that when people work out (I'm NOT saying this is your actual problem, from what I've read, it's not) but in general others try to work out too hard all the time. Problem is, people think they have to work hard to get a good workout. Nothing could be farther from the truth. When I was in peak form in college as a 5,000-10,000 meter runner, I only ran hard twice/week. The other days were longer distance days, but at a very easy effort. If you push too hard too often, you will run out of glycogen and you will burn out.

Long term moderation works best vs. work hard/burnout/work hard/burnout, etc. etc.

These are just some ideas to consider.

Closed Thread