It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Knee Pain with Aerobics

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Knee Pain with Aerobics

Hi

I've recently started the 30-Day Shred from Jillian Michaels, and overall, it's an outstanding workout. But my knees are positively killing me.

Anyone familiar with this workout that can offer some advice?

FWIW, I come from the "Buns of Steel" era, so I'm used to doing 45 minutes of lunges and squats and have never had this trouble. I believe I have good form in that regard.

The 30-Day Shred does have a few seconds of a knee warm up where you roll your knees in little circles while you're bent over. There are also quite a few jumping jacks, jump rope moves and side lunges. I will say I've never seen side lunges performed like this.

I think I need to modify something -- because it's a killer workout for only 22 minutes, and I'm seeing results in other areas (arms, waist). Do jumping jacks or jump rope blow out your knees? Could it be just a minute or two of side lunges/knee circles that I need to avoid?

It's so frustrating to finally find a good workout I can get excited about and motivated over, and I'm afraid of really damaging my knees!

Oh, and I wear a good pair of cross-trainers ... same sneakers I wear for my other aerobic videos that I don't get knee pain from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Knee Pain with Aerobics

My guess is that it is the side lunges. What happens is that your ligaments on the sides of your knees aren't used to this motion, and you get your knee sort of "out of tracking" if you will. However, any explosive movement can do this as well, so just be careful. You'll have to do a bit of investigating, eliminating one variable at a time.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
StenoLady1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Thanks for the response, bdrunner79. I eliminated the jumping jacks, as well as side lunges (substituted running in place and a side squat move I've done in the past without trouble), and my knees are having no problems.

Take care

Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
amberchen22
Inactive
(female)

amberchen22 HB User

However, any explosive movement can do this as well, so just be careful.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
Thanks for the response, bdrunner79. I eliminated the jumping jacks, as well as side lunges (substituted running in place and a side squat move I've done in the past without trouble), and my knees are having no problems.

Take care
Then I would keep doing that modified version. If you are getting the desired workout that want, even with these modifications, then I'd just keep doing that. There's no one set workout. If your knees are ok, and you're getting a good workout, that's all that's important

Closed Thread