It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

aerobic exercise actually train heart to stop

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
chile2
(male)

chile2 HB User
aerobic exercise actually train heart to stop

Interesting article by Dr. Mike Nichols regarding aerobic exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
chile2
(male)

chile2 HB User
Re: aerobic exercise actually train heart to stop

<edited> He said that a healthy heart is restless heart and stops and goes all over the place in response to stimuli. He states when you do any type of aerobics you train the heart to beat at a nearly constant rate. It has very little variation and the heart goes to sleep.He also stated that marathon runners have accelerated hardening of the arteries.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-22-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile2 View Post
He said that a healthy heart is restless heart and stops and goes all over the place in response to stimuli. He states when you do any type of aerobics you train the heart to beat at a nearly constant rate. It has very little variation and the heart goes to sleep.He also stated that marathon runners have accelerated hardening of the arteries.
That's interesting. I agree that marathon runners put themselves at higher risk for cardiovascular problems because prolonged physical stress increases the level of cortisol in their blood.

Aerobics: What if you vary the speed/intensity? I heard a long time ago that the best workout on a treadmill is when you occasionally change the speed. Also, I read that in spinning classes the leader changes the intensity fairly often.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
He states when you do any type of aerobics you train the heart to beat at a nearly constant rate. It has very little variation and the heart goes to sleep.He also stated that marathon runners have accelerated hardening of the arteries.
Some people might read your description the wrong way and think that he is suggesting to not exercise. Actually, it appears that he is suggesting (for health purposes) to vary exercise intensities through one's workouts, rather than exercise at a constant intensity all the time.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
chile2
(male)

chile2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Some people might read your description the wrong way and think that he is suggesting to not exercise. Actually, it appears that he is suggesting (for health purposes) to vary exercise intensities through one's workouts, rather than exercise at a constant intensity all the time.
That was not my intention. There were no replies on this thread until I summarized what was meant about aerobics. I think many feel that because they do aerobics that they are immune from heart conditions. Exercise is unfortunately not a cure all.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
That was not my intention. There were no replies on this thread until I summarized what was meant about aerobics.
Of course, that is not the same thing as what most people might think when they see the word "aerobic". Any exercise that is of lesser intensity than an all out sprint (anaerobic) is aerobic. This would include stuff like walking in the park and other normal daily activities.

Quote:
Exercise is unfortunately not a cure all.
Perhaps not, but generally a lot better for health than not exercising. Of course, different types and intensities of exercise may be more or less effective for health and fitness, depending on the goals.

Last edited by tjlhb; 06-22-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Closed Thread