It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Ankle Injury

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Yido
(male)

Yido HB User
Ankle Injury

Hi People

Iím a first time user here and I hope there may be someone who could provide some advice

Basically I injured my Ankle about 12 weeks ago. I keep fit and play sports and I have been very lucky as I have always remained injury free. But I was doing some road running, nothing to aggressive, surface was smooth etc. About 20 minutes in, I felt a very sharp pain around my heel, which then travelled around the sides to the top of my foot.

This was extremely sore for a few days. I followed all the correct procedures and by the end of the week I was left with a constant pain when moving my foot and when pressure is applied. The pain also moves up the calf.

This has not changed after 12 weeks. Now after walking for around 10 minutes, I feel a tightening in the ankle and I get to the point where it feels like if I take one more step, something will snap. About 2 weeks after the injury, I had 2 weeks off work and did absolutely nothing other that play the XBOX...this seemed to make it worse! I have done strength training along with none impact training (swimming). Nothing has helped. I visited my Doc after I had the 2 weeks off, she just straight away sent me for Physio, no scans and the Physio has done nothing.

I donít know what to do really. I am getting used to living with the pain (but walk with a noticeable limp) and I have adapted to not doing certain things but by the end of each day, my ankle is swollen and I canít put any weight on it.

I have looked on the net for information and could not find anything that helped too much. Maybe some one has experienced the same or similar

Many Thanks

Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ankle Injury

The location of the pain suggests a problem with the peroneal tendons (if it's toward the outside part of the heel/ankle) or the achilles tendon (if it's right in the center of the heel.) However, there's no way I can say for sure!

Step one would be to go back to the doctor and explain that physio isn't helping and you're still having a lot of problems. If your doctor is a family doctor, try to get a referral to an orthopedist. An x-ray or MRI might also be indicated, but a good orthopedist can sometimes tell a LOT just from a physical exam.

Are there any specific ankle movements that are more painful than others? Anything that just doesn't feel right? Where exactly is the swelling, or is it all over?

Does ice help? How about massaging the calf muscle all over, back and sides?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Yido
(male)

Yido HB User

Hi Thanks for the reply

Well I can move the Ankle left to right with little pain but its up and down movements and also after about 30 seconds of putting weight on it. But the pains are different, the movement up and down is a very sharp pain (shoots up from heel/inside of ankle to calf) but the pain when weight is put on it is like a radiating ache/pain, which seems to start from the centre of the ankle. When I wake in the morning, the ankle throbs and also if I have been off my feet for an hour or so. The swelling is at the back of the heel and also on the inside of the ankle, the more pain I feel through out the day normally determines the extent of the swelling that evening. Every evening I have packed my Ankle with Ice, which reduces the swelling but not the pain. Also my other half is a Massage therapist, so she has used treatments on the calf and soft stimulation of the lower parts of the leg.

I have gone back to my Doctors but they just keep saying to rest it. The Physio just keeps getting me doing silly movements, I keep asking for a scan or XRAY as I just know there is something more to the problem than just Painkillers and rest will solve. From what the Doctors are saying, I think because I didnít injure the foot by falling or impact, they just think its nothing and im being silly. He even said loosing weight will help...I weigh 15st and im 5"11 but my Body fat is 13% so I donít think that is a practical solution and is a cop out on their part!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

A minor problem should have resolved itself by now. If you've said to the doctor, "Look, the treatment isn't working, there's something really wrong here," and the doctor refuses to listen, it might be time for a different doctor.

Weight is a factor in foot problems, but 15 stone at your height isn't that heavy. Still, even if you're fit, the larger you are the more strain your feet go through.

If it's the up and down movements, the problem is probably with the true ankle joint, between the tibia and talus. I don't know too terribly much about those problems, but it's possible to develop a serious foot injury with minor trauma or even just ordinary use.

Are you doing the PT? Even if it doesn't help, it's useful to go to the doctor with evidence that you tried PT and it failed. Keep track of your activities and pain level for a few days also. You might have to complain to get treatment for your pain. Politely of course, but complain.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Yep, had this before. I was doing a lot of road running myself and just one day for no reason had the same exact problem you describe. And you're absolutely right, it WILL NOT go away, seemingly no matter what you do.

I'd take 2 or 3 days off like you, with no improvement, then tried 2-3 weeks and the same results. So what did I do?

Well, in my case the problem was some damaged ligament or tendon, which I'm guessing is your problem. That's a big problem because there is little blood flow to either and so it takes forever to heal. Repetitive motion, such as running on smooth, flat surfaces is also bad.

Ok here's my advice. Change your running shoes to something else. This was likely partially the cause. I went with a new brand. My old ones were slightly too big and so when I got new ones, they were just a tad bit tighter. For the first week or two, maybe more, try walking first. But don't walk on the sidewalk or road. Walk on grassy surfaces or trails. Repetitive motion must be kept to a minimum. Soft surfaces are better, grass the best. Take days off between days of walking and evaluate the situation. When you can run again, do it every other day on grassy surfaces preferrably, if you can. Then gradually go back to the road. By then, when you can do it, hopefully the problem has corrected itself. As maintenance though, I always vary surfaces because humans were just simply not made to run on asphalt. I handled it for many years until the injury.

The main thing here is to make sure you did not tear anything too much. I'm sure there was microscopic tearing and then consequent inflammation and swelling. When walking or running though, I'd recommend icing still and if you can take them, occassionally anti-inflammatories don't hurt, especially ibuprofen.

Hey good luck and keep in touch with us. Keep us apprised of any progress or problems.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Let me just add that as long as you are having swelling, you should NOT be trying to run!

Closed Thread