It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Exercise and Fitness

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
bprice536
(female)

bprice536 HB User
Exercise and Fitness

Want to lose about 10 lbs and get tone... Just get back in shape...
Ok I am at 120 now.... I have been walking on the treadmill for 30 mins to hour at 3.5 mph and at 10 incline... Also have been doing some workouts... Have been eating good too... Nothing seems to be changing.... I read that I should be taking 1063 calroies a day I have tried that, it kinda hard to keep up with the calroies. But I did do it, but still nothing. Also read that walking at what I was on the treadmill I only burned about 200... that really hurt my feelings cause I was thinking I was burning what it said about 700 to 800 depending on how long I did it... Need help on what to do to burn more calroies......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
climbr
(female)

climbr HB User
Re: Exercise and Fitness

Walking isn't a fantastic way to burn calories unless your normal activity level is zero. Try cycling, swimming, jogging, hiking with a backpack on trails, taking an aerobics class, paddling, etc. These are all higher-energy exercises. Depending on your current degree of fitness, time availability, money, and geographic location there are a variety of things you can do. Besides, walking on a treadmill is dreadfully boring and it is not likely something you will stick to forever.

If you are a gym member try taking some classes there, figure out what you like. Exercise should be fun!

Also you could try burning calories throughout your day. For example, don't take the elevator/escalator, walk instead of drive when you are traveling short distances, etc... Make burning calories a life choice and not a chore you have to try and fit in somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Maybe your body is happy at 120. You do not say how tall you are. Also restricting calories is not a good idea if it makes your body go into starvation mode. Sometimes more calories means losing more weight. I do the treadmill at an incline as well because I cannot run. My knees will not support it, plus I hate running. I always challenge myself though with higher speeds and higher inclines. I make sure every workout is a challenge. I would add strength training right after your treadmill workout. Do it while your heart rate is still up to continue burning calories. Muscles also raise your resting metabolic rate, so train to build them up a bit. You will see results but at your current weight you really have to work it.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
rubato
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Those calorie readings on the treadmills are so inaccurate. I'm glad you researched and figured out how many calories you were truly burning. I have to ask though, if you thought you were burning 600-700 calories on the treadmill, why would you only eat 1063 calories? Wouldn't that be dangerous? I don't think you should be eating that little doing no exercise at all.

I agree with the above posters. Run, swim, bike, hike, or do some fun classes. I run everyday and take a zumba class 2 times a week. I also go dancing with hubby which counts in my book! Walking does burn calories, but it takes FOREVER to burn enough for me. You should be lifting weights if you can. Building more muscle will help to boost your metabolism.

I'm very concerned with the amount you are eating. I am supposed to be eating 2,000 calories a day before I figure in my calories from exercise. I weigh 135. When I'm trying to lose weight, I add in my calories from exercise to the 2000, and then, cut it by 20%. Most of the time, I'm still eating well over 2,000 because I run a lot and burn lots of calories every day.

Also, I'm sure you are VERY close to your ideal weight if not there now. It's hard to take off those last pounds and you want them to come off slowly. That way, you know they aren't water weight, but real fat loss.

Good luck!

Closed Thread