It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• unusually high heart rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
    ruskie14
    (male)

ruskie14 HB User
    unusually high heart rate

I am 67 years old and have just started doing some running again. I cannot run fast anymore. So I am doing running work to keep my heart exercised. I did some running work in France below 2 miles but now I am in the Philippines, temp 30 degrees C and high humidity. I am running at just below 10 mins a mile. I run 800 metres then walk 200 metres until I cover 2 miles. While I am doing this I monitor my heart rate. I am getting readings mostly above 150 b/m and as high as 197 b/m without feeling too bad or out of breath. My recovery heart rate is very good coming down to 110 within one to two minutes. In France my max heart rate was 165 but now at 165 plus I feel ok. Any comments, my base pulse is now 58 and used to be 40. Am I likely to do myself damage getting my heart this fast? I have read the basis of Max heart rate but I am way above the normal figures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
    Re: unusually high heart rate

ruskie14,

The traditional maximun heart rate equation that we see everywhere should not be taken literally. The same resulting numbers (220 minus age times something something) certainly cannot be used for both a couch potato and a super-fit athlete. I prefer to use more of a perceived effort scale. When doing cardio exercise, I expect to feel my heart rate go up and my breathing get deeper and a bit more labored, but I also expect to be able to carry on a conversation with whoever might be next to me (OK, I do a lot of talking to imaginary people and I get funny looks on the trail, but you get my meaning? ). Then I evaluate how I feel afterwards. If that session was too easy, then I know I can push it a bit more at the next session. If I feel totally wiped out, I know I'm pushing myself too much for my current fitness level, and I'll be a little easier on myself at the next session.

Bassically, trained people can exercise at higher heart rates than untrained people, but a number resulting from such a formula is only a guide. Listen to your body.

--Rheanna

Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
    bdrunner79
    Veteran
    (male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
    Re: unusually high heart rate

Excellent reply. Max HR is totally subjective and relative to an individual. I knew elite milers whose max HR was 220 and some that were 160. It's the % of your individual max HR that matters, not the absolute value of that max HR or any % thereof.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
    aquatilly (02-08-2011)
    Closed Thread