It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Specific area of abdominals - what is it?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
LaurenL
(female)

LaurenL HB User
Specific area of abdominals - what is it?

Hi!

I have *always* wanted a flat stomach, but my body is such that if I lose enough weight to make the very front of my stomach flat, the rest of my body starts looking *too* thin (and it's just not healthy).

In order to be happy with my stomach, I would like to take another approach. The excess fat is only over the very front of my stomach (over the lower part of the rectus abdominus). So, I would like to try to gain more definition in the area to the sides, which strangely doesn't have this layer of fat, because I think this is my best shot at being happier with how my tummy looks. THe problem is I've always had trouble identifying what this area is called or how to tone it! I'm not exactly talking about the obliques ...I'm talking about the two bulges of muscle right above where the pelvic bone protrudes out to make the hips + the indentation that runs a little ways above it. You could describe the area as between the rectus abdominus and the very sides of the waist. These features are very obvious in guys but lucky girls seem to be able to achieve the look too!

My question: Does anybody know what muscles make up this area and what exercises might help to tighten up that area?

Another way to go about this might be to work the obliques, but I'm not sure if working the obliques can actually squeeze the waistline (as I would hope). I'm worried working the obliques too much might actually make the waist bigger by building muscle there!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Specific area of abdominals - what is it?

I would do core exercises. Your core is all of your abdominal area and there are many different types of core work you can do. I would start with the plank and then build on that. I incorporate a number of core moves and my abs are strong an defined all over. Much more so than just concentrating on crunches. Google core exercises and get ideas.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
LaurenL
(female)

LaurenL HB User

Yea, plank (normal and the side one) is actually my favorite exercise! I've been doing core all my life ... bicycles and weighted crunches are two others I've done a lot more of recently. More ideas about this specific area?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
calmbloke
(male)

calmbloke HB User

I thought those muscles were the external obliques. I would think you'd achieve the most balanced look (if that's what you're after) by generally exercising all of your abdominal area, and working off the bit of fat that bothers you. If you find you look too thin when that goes, you could look at exercising other areas of your body to tone them up to compensate. Overall it sounds like you maybe need a more balanced approach.

<edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-01-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread