It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Pain in my lower leg...Help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
krispy
(female)

krispy HB User
Question Pain in my lower leg...Help

Just started walking for exercise. When I walk about 1/4 mile I start having severe pain in my left leg. right above my ankle to half way my knee. Will it get better if I continue to walk? Do I need to wrap...what would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Pain in my lower leg...Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy View Post
Just started walking for exercise. When I walk about 1/4 mile I start having severe pain in my left leg. right above my ankle to half way my knee. Will it get better if I continue to walk? Do I need to wrap...what would help?
It would help to know how old you are plus height and weight. If you are an older person, overweight and not used to exercising, it could be Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD). It's the same as atherosclerosis where plaque builds up in your arteries. But when it occurs in your leg(s) it is known as PAD.

It's reversible by adhering to a rather strict diet regimen, exercise and relaxation techniques. You can learn more by reading the following books: "The Cardiovascular Cure" by John Cooke or "The Spectrum" by Dr.
Dean Ornish.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Also, where does it hurt? Front, side, back of the leg? That really matters when trying to figure this out. If it's on the sides or back of the leg, then it usually isn't all that big of a deal. Down the front, which I suspect is where it hurts, then it can be a bit more serious.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
calmbloke
(male)

calmbloke HB User

Oh? How? When walking hard I would quickly find that the muscles on the front of my shin would hurt like hell very quickly, but this would subside about half way through my walk. I now find that it doesn't happen so easily.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmbloke View Post
Oh? How? When walking hard I would quickly find that the muscles on the front of my shin would hurt like hell very quickly, but this would subside about half way through my walk. I now find that it doesn't happen so easily.
Well, that's a good point. There are 2 main reasons why someone's shin area would hurt while running. One, and probably your case, is just an inflammation due to sudden use in the tissue between the front of the shin and the bone itself. This isn't severe pain and will work itself out, like yours did. Now that's great, because you can at least deal with it. Hard surfaces can also cause this.

On the other hand, I've seen folks who run and run and it gets more severe and worse. This is from another cause. This pain has absolutely nothing to do with the shin itself. The problem is originating much higher, likely in the quadriceps. This can be caused by weak hamstrings, so the quads aren't balanced and then an injury appears elsewhere, such as the calf, achilles tendon, shin, etc. In this case, the problem could be originating much higher and this makes the problem more difficult to narrow down and correct. That's why some running injuries are never completely healed, because the root cause was never found. And would you think it totally insane to think that some lower leg injuries can be caused by a chain reaction from weak ab muscles? It happens more than we'd think.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Shamsam
(female)

Shamsam HB User

Hi,
I have the same problem and doctor diagnosed so called "shin splint". Later on I started to think that maybe it is actually chronic exertional compartment syndrome. The name of it doesn't really matter to me for the pain is bad, like the bone is cracking in half :S and usually occures when running. It used to be even when brisk walking! Luckily nowadays it seems to eased after steady, long-term training and not rushing anything but taking things slower.

Doc said if decent warm up, stretching, proper shoes (specially supporting the arch), starting slow and steady (running/walking) doesn't help aka it becomes unbearable and continues and nothing helps the only way to sort is surgery. To me they've helped so far - I only get those symptoms if I start running "cold" w/o warming up or making sure my legs are covered enough (in cold weathers -they seem to worsen it).

So check out those two conditions in the internet and consult a doctor or even physiotherapist or sports therapists who know about muscles/joints and how they affect on each other.

Last edited by Shamsam; 08-07-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: no website addresses allowed, sorry for posting that :S

Closed Thread