It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Key to health & fitness is Mental attitude

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
dewet
(male)

dewet HB User
Key to health & fitness is Mental attitude

One thing that I think is absolutely critical that needs to be addressed is the mental side of starting an exercise plan. Most successful sports stars will tell you this is the key, and it applies not only to the stars but to all of us at every level. We often decide on Sunday night, generally after a weekend of heavy consumption, that we are starting a new way of life on Monday morning. It is hardly surprising that for most of us by the end of the first week that commitment is out the window. A good thing here is that you should have a date that you can use as a goal - the date you are going on holiday, your birthday or the start of summer. I plan my workouts in six week stints - this is just a commitment I am happy to make in my mind. So I set a date - like going on holiday or my birthday or whatever - the last one was an annual party we get invited to every year. Once I know that target date I work my six week plan backwards and set a starting date. Because it is planned so far in advance, once I start there is no going back. No doubts, no ifs, maybes or buts - it's like I am on auto pilot - I just do it. If you reach that level of commitment you will not get bored nor will you give up easily. And once you get going your results will be the motivator that keeps you going. I would love to hear from other people how they handle the mental side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Key to health & fitness is Mental attitude

I believe the hardest part of starting an exercise and healthy eating routine is the mental readiness. Once someone is ready and has a plan like you stated and is ready to commit to it then it becomes a way of life. Also one must put exercise at the top of the list of important things to do. I plan my days around my workout routine. It was tough at first with kids and work. I made it clear to myself and my family that this time is important to me and that I will make other sacrifices before giving up that time.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Well, this may not be applicable in most cases, but I always ran races. If it was May 1, I'd plan a race September 1. This way, I knew if I wanted to do well, I HAD to train.

One thing that you must assure yourself is that the training over time gets easier. You just have to keep the belief that what you are doing is working and things get easier.

Like another poster said, it has to become a way of life and part of your daily routine. Yeah sometimes the day in and day out aspect can wear you down. So you can also plan days off ahead of time. I did. I said I'd train 10 days in a row let's say, then I get 2 off. And I enjoyed every minute of the training if I did it that way.

Before you start, make a committment to yourself that you are NOT going to lock yourself into anything. Find an exercise routine that you enjoy. If you are not enjoying it, then it's the wrong one.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
dewet
(male)

dewet HB User

Great stuff! It seems we all agree that having a goal date helps when we are trying to make that commitment. I am trying to steer clear of motivational jargon, but I suppose it comes down to goal setting in our personal lives much like we do in business. I would also find it interesting to get opinions on the time period you feel you can commit to. I have developed a Forty Day program because I find this a confortable level for me, but bdrunner plans 4 months ahead.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Yeah, I go ahead and plan that far ahead simply to give myself a lot of time. I feel more comfortable and motivated if I see that I have a lot of time ahead of me and can take my time building up. Others enjoy the "rush" of getting themselves fit in a shorter period of time. As a confession, I've found that if I don't give myself ample time I never get as fit as I wanted because I procrastinate a lot at the beginning

Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User

Its one thing to set a date to train for a race or something along that line. It is another thing to set a time frame to just 'get in shape'. It helps to have an idea of when you want to achieve certain goals, but you need to look at it as not something that has an expiration date. Once you reach your goal you still need to keep exercising. You need to make it a part of your life, not just something you do to achieve a goal.
I achieved my initial goal a long time ago, now I make smaller goals to keep me going forward.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
dewet
(male)

dewet HB User

Well there is no right way or wrong way - whatever works for each one of us. I do not procrastinate once I start, but it takes me a while to start! I give myself a month or two to plan it so that I know I can commit to s trict program for six weeks without any major disruptions. Once my six week program is over I go to a more relaxed lifestyle type of program.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I agree that attitude is the basis for success. I don't plan a goal date, but I do have a goal program. I've been going to the gym and I would set a goal to do 3 hours of weight training a week, plus walk at home. Recently I just started a program called P90X which is a 90 day commitment where you work out (different types of exercise) 6 days a week and rest on the 7th for 90 days. So I guess technically you could say that Thanksgiving Day is my goal date but I see myself counting down from my start date instead.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
BostonGirl44
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I agree that attitude is the basis for success. I don't plan a goal date, but I do have a goal program. I've been going to the gym and I would set a goal to do 3 hours of weight training a week, plus walk at home. Recently I just started a program called P90X which is a 90 day commitment where you work out (different types of exercise) 6 days a week and rest on the 7th for 90 days. So I guess technically you could say that Thanksgiving Day is my goal date but I see myself counting down from my start date instead.
I quit the gym in July from pure boredom. I also started P90X (on August 30) and have never felt this good in my life. I look forward to the workouts which has never happened to me before with any other exercise program. I think it's definitely helped with my mental attitude towards fitness.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
WanderingAround
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User

I joined a rugby team.

I have always been overweight, not obese or anything, just overweight enough to hold me back from my full athletic potential - or even wearing a bikini, hah.

Anyway, I joined a team. I know that on the day I have practice I have to eat well and take care of myself, or I WILL get destroyed at practice and that helps a lot.
For the days that I don't have practice or conditioning, I just "decide" to eat healthy and go for a long jog (20-30 minutes for me). This doesn't always work though, seeing as I'm tyiping this with a dr.pepper and a cookie in front of me. (I get crazy sugar cravings sometimes).

Anyway, I got a little off-topic up there, I agree with a lot of the above posts. Attitude is everything. If I get down on myself for whatever reason I tend to not want to work out - I just have to remember that I'll feel better after the workout and that it's better in the long run.

Last edited by WanderingAround; 10-20-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Closed Thread