It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Right Side Stitch

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
jrockey0915
(male)

jrockey0915 HB User
Right Side Stitch

I'm new here, so my apologies if this has been covered before but a quick search didn't show anything I could use.

About 2 months ago I decided to get back into playing soccer and that meant getting back into shape. After a good 10 year hiatus from anything that could be considered exercise, this proved quite the daunting task. But I worked hard and noticed an increase in my fitness level and endurance. I was on my way, or so I thought.

However, recently I've started getting this nasty cramp on my right side. First it was here and there, and now it's turned into something chronic, where everytime I play soccer or go for a run it kicks in, which all but kills any running I could do or enjoyment I could derive from the sport. I've done some reading on the internet, and I've tried every remedy I could find. I'll eat a banana or two before I exercise, I try to maintain a good balance of water (not too much or too little), I try to take deeper breaths when I run, and I even tried to exhale only when I land on my left foot (though that one is nearly impossible when I'm playing soccer).

Yet, despite all that it's only seemed to get worse. I don't want to take any time off from soccer, but maybe giving my diaphragm's tendons a rest is in order? If anybody has any advice, I'd very much like to hear it.

TIA,

Josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User
Re: Right Side Stitch

What probably happened was that you were dehydrated one time and got the cramp. However, with continued effort despite the cramp, you damaged a muscle. What happens is that you incur microscopic tearing and then the blood pools in there and causes pain. You'll need to take some time off yes, to get the blood vessels to heal up. This won't likely be a serious issue. If you do not exercise for 7 days that should be sufficient. Just try it out on day 8, and start whatever you are doing very slowly, especially if you run that day.

The reason no remedies worked is because none of that stuff will heal it. Only time will in this case. Luckily, it's not a tendon you have to worry about.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
jrockey0915
(male)

jrockey0915 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
What probably happened was that you were dehydrated one time and got the cramp. However, with continued effort despite the cramp, you damaged a muscle. What happens is that you incur microscopic tearing and then the blood pools in there and causes pain. You'll need to take some time off yes, to get the blood vessels to heal up. This won't likely be a serious issue. If you do not exercise for 7 days that should be sufficient. Just try it out on day 8, and start whatever you are doing very slowly, especially if you run that day.

The reason no remedies worked is because none of that stuff will heal it. Only time will in this case. Luckily, it's not a tendon you have to worry about.
That makes a lot of sense bd, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I can afford to take a whole week off right now (long story), but I'll give it a few days and see if that helps.

Starting slowly sounds like the key, but should I bother to do some oblique stretches or anything as I warm up, or will that only make it worse?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I personally wouldn't stretch it out. Just do twists after you warm up, keeping your arms parallel to the ground and twist until you feel slight tension. It should work.

Closed Thread