It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Want to start lifting weights... HELP!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
praitrio
(male)

praitrio HB User
Want to start lifting weights... HELP!

Okay, so I'm 18 and a guy in case anyone thinks that has any relevance to anything.

I want to start lifting weights, my college has a gym and it's free to students so I figured that this was as good a time as any to begin. I have never lifted weights before and really have no idea, at all, where to even begin; I was hoping that someone here could really break everything down for me into the simplest pieces (or point me to a site that will) because I do not want to walk in the gym and make a total fool of my self and then be too embarrassed to even set foot in the gym for the rest of the year. Again, just to be clear, I am really starting at square one (square zero if possible) so speak slowly and enunciate.

And I'm just wondering, what is the time frame is for seeing some kind of results?

Also, I know that I won't see results overnight and that I won't look like a bodybuilder or anything, I just want to be able to take my shirt off and not feel completely self conscious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
dewet
(male)

dewet HB User
Re: Want to start lifting weights... HELP!

THere are literally millions of programs out there, and every one will tell you something different as to what you need to do. The only way to get through the clutter is to be very clear on what you want to achieve. Set your goals first and then decide on a program. To advise you one would need to know what these goals are, and you should base your goals on weight loss, measurements (waist, hips, chest, arms, thighs) and most importantly BMI (body mass index) I can give you the calculation here but it is easier just to Google it and work it out online, it is basically weight versus height. I generally set my goals in 6 week time periods, so that it is not that far off, and when the 6 weeks is up I re-evaluate and set new goals.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
david614
(male)

david614 HB User
Re: Want to start lifting weights... HELP!

A great resource for someone in your situation would be Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength. He gives very detailed instructions on how to perform the basic lifts.

As an 18 year old male, you are just entering the prime muscle building time of your life. In fact, you'd probably make progress just by looking at a barbell. If you actually pick it up and get serious about lifting, you won't recognize yourself in a few months.

Good luck.

Closed Thread