It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

medium intensity cardio workout before breakfast ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Matory
(male)

Matory HB User
medium intensity cardio workout before breakfast ?

Medium intensity cardio workout such as bicycle riding or fast walking, duration 30-40min before breakfast with adequate hydration.

1. How good/bad it is for a cardio-vascular system and heart in generally?
(I'm especially interested in bad side-effects)

*I heard that any kind of activity in the mourning is no good for the spine discus because they are swollen, does it apply for mentioned type of workouts?

P.S. Sorry for my englsih.

2. And what about the side-effects of using green tea before workout as a booster?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: medium intensity cardio workout before breakfast ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matory View Post
Medium intensity cardio workout such as bicycle riding or fast walking, duration 30-40min before breakfast with adequate hydration.
I think it's a bad Idea to exercise on an empty stomach. If you stop eating at about 6 pm and get up at 6 am that means your body went twelve hours without food. The average person burns about 60 to 77 calories per hour while sleeping. I think that means your store of glucose might be somewhat depleted before breakfast and you would need to replace it. You might try something like a small bowl of fresh mixed fruit before exercising and see how long it keeps you in the mood to exercise. Or try any small snack of your choice and see how long it keeps you going. Some might recommend a balanced snack containing protein, carbohydrate and fat.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Matory
(male)

Matory HB User

First of all thanks for the answer John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
I think that means your store of glucose might be somewhat depleted before breakfast and you would need to replace it.
I thing that's the hole point with workout before breakfast, because than body uses energy from fat and not form other sources.
When I eat and then workout I'll just burn calories from the food I've just eaten and not from body fat.

Therefore I'm wondering if there's any (bad) side effects for the cardio-vascular system (and body in general) when working-out before breakfast ?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Matory
(male)

Matory HB User

And what about green tea?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Many people exercise prior to breakfast, because it forces their body to draw off of existing fat and glycogen stores for energy and claim it increases their weight loss. Many experts support morning workouts because you get the workout out of the way early and it helps people stay on track and not have excuses for not exercising later in the day. There's nothing wrong with it BUT you do need to warm up your muscles prior to working out especially in the morning because the muscles will be stiff from the night before. So long as you warm up properly, you will be fine. Some people don't like to exercise on an empty stomach because they feel lightheaded. So if it bothers you, find another time to work out, but I wouldn't choose not to do it just because of the time of day.

Green tea is a proven exercise and metabolism booster and many people recommend drinking a cup before working out. It has small amounts of caffeine, which can boost the workout performance. There is no downside to green tea unless you have a sensitivity to caffeine.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-23-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Matory
(male)

Matory HB User

@EagleRiverDee

Thanks for the answer. I'm quite familiar with proper ways to workout and it's effect to weight lose, muscle growth...(regarding warming up, stretching etc..) but not so with the effects on the cardio-vascular system and those kind of things.
I tend to avoid various types of supplements and synthetic boosters, such as all kinds of fat burners etc. as much as I can, so that's the reason I'm asking about green tea and it's possible downsides...(we all know the downsides of fat burners...)

Thanks again, you've been helpful.

P.S. Once again I apologize for my bad english and hope it's not to problematic for You to figure out what I'm trying to say.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I agree with you on so-called Fat Burners- they are full of stimulants and can cause all kinds of problems including heart palpitations, cardiac arrest and stroke.

Green tea has about 1/3 the caffeine of a cup of coffee and is a very mild stimulant, however, so it's safe (again, unless you have a sensitivity to caffeine).

And I think your English is quite good- perfectly understandable!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Couple of things. First off, it probably is much better to workout or run first thing in the morning. You will be less prone to injury. Muscle stiffness is not necessarily a bad thing at all, because of their rigidity, you will be less likely to have and overstretching or overuse injury. Depends on what type of exercise. If you're running, you don't want really loose muscles because they lose their supporting ability. That's why when we run, for warmup we jog slowly for the first 10 minutes or so and that's good enough.

On the cardiovascular system? Nope. When you burn fat stores or more likely glycogen stores instead, you teach your body energy expenditure management, which is really a good thing. Also, your fat-burning ability (likely to take place long after your workout) will increase throughout the day. There are oxidative by-products to intense exercise, but not so much for purely aerobic exercises.

The other thing, unless you exercise aerobically for more than 40 minutes, you won't draw on fat, you'll draw on stored glycogen. The fat burns later on in the day from your increased metabolism.

Bottom line is that you can exercise before breakfast and if done aerobically, no damage to cardiovascular system and green tea is fine. Caffeine actually can force your body to draw on fat stores during exercise earlier, by initiating beta-oxidation of fat cells that are available for energy. This can prolong your workout because fat provides more energy than glycogen.

Should you do really intense exercise, then yes you'd have to eat something prior, but I don't think that's what you're doing.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matory View Post
I thing that's the hole point with workout before breakfast, because than body uses energy from fat and not form other sources.
If you manage, somehow, to use up ALL of your reserves of glucose/glycogen, what happens then? Will you burn fat? Maybe a little but this is not an efficient way to burn fat. The most likely result is that you will begin to make glucose by breaking down the protein in your muscles. It's called gluconeogenesis.

Possible symptoms include 1) irritability 2) loss of mental clarity 3) fatigue 4) loss of muscle mass 5) increased hunger and 6) a tendency to regain the fat quickly when carbs are reintroduced.

Conclusion: I don't see any benefit to exercising IF your reserves of glucose/glycogen are truly exausted.

Quote:
Therefore I'm wondering if there's any (bad) side effects for the cardio-vascular system (and body in general) when working-out before breakfast ?
If you completely exaust your reserves of glucose/glycogen, you may likely feel stress and begin to produce the hormone cortisol. Elevated levels of cortisol over a prolonged period of time can cause cardio-vascular damage/disease.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-27-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Delete a word

Old 09-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Depends on the intensity. If you are working out less than 2 hours in duration, and you keep it aerobic, you will use fat cells. If you go beyond 2 hours, then protein. If you exercise high intensity, then it'll use protein as well. I ran for years in the am on an empty stomach but just kept the intensity real low and I actually felt pretty good. Any higher intensity I needed food or if I were going to go really far, I'd eat as well.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
Depends on the intensity.
Thanks. I'm glad it worked for you but I wonder if it will be the same for everyone. I know if I ever tried something like that, I would probably feel crummy the next day. Possibly it will work for him but I would like to see him check his weight and percentage of body fat before starting. That would be interesting, and possibly safer, for him to see for himself that his percentage of body fat is decreasing along with his weight.

And what about the cortisol issue? Will that be the same for everyone? Will he just need to take note of how he's feeling? If it's a problem, I think it will most likely show up as "feeling bad" the next morning. Not sure though.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-28-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: close quote

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

No you're right John. It would depend on the individual. I guess this made me think way back and yeah, I remember people who couldn't do it. Besides, eating before exercise would likely make anyone feel better during the workout, regardless. I know even though I could do without, if I did eat anyways, I felt better comparatively.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
If you manage, somehow, to use up ALL of your reserves of glucose/glycogen, what happens then?
You "bonk" or "hit the wall" and feel tired (because your brain uses glucose) and can only exercise at low intensity if at all (because increasing intensity requires a higher percentage of energy from glucose / glycogen).

Most people not on low carbohydrate diets should have enough stored glycogen to do 30-40 minutes of medium intensity (for their current level of fitness) cardio without bonking, without needing to consume any carbohydrates before or during the workout.

Last edited by tjlhb; 09-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
JumperOK
(male)

JumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB UserJumperOK HB User

Personally, I find I'm able to workout harder if I eat something prior to hitting the gym. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio then strength train. If I don't eat prior, I find I hit the wall sooner and when it hits, it hits like a 10 ton brick. Most mornings I try to eat a sensible but small breakfast just to have something in my system. This usually consists of a banana or a small bowl of cereal (Grape Nuts have been my choice lately). Based on the calorie calculator on the machines I use (elliptical and/or treadmill) I burn approximately 400-500 calories just during the cardio portion. Obviously those are not entirely accurate but they give me a pretty good indication that I've not only burned what I consumed for breakfast, but I'm now, hopefully, pulling from my body's stores of fat for energy. I could be wrong but that's what I tell myself each morning

Old 09-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #15
dewet
(male)

dewet HB User

I have found that the only time I can stick to an exercise program is early morning. If I try for later in the day there is always something that upsets the routine. I agree that it may be different for individuals, but I cannot eat before exercise. I feel best on an empty stomach and I subscribe to the view that it assists with burining fat. However I must state that I ony exercise for 30 minutes (high intensity strength training) so perhaps that is not long enough to hit the wall. As for green tea, yes it definitely will speed up the metabolism and help with fat burning. My favourite warm up is the Sun Salute.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-30-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread