It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Aerobic exercise is waste of time

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User
Aerobic exercise is waste of time

I read in many places that aerobic exercise is a waste of time.Even when reading this message board I found something about it being dangerous to your heart.Can someone give me an opposing view?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User
Re: Aerobic exercise is waste of time

I also read that Dr. Kenneth Cooper the originator of the term aerobic exercise has recanted all his assertions regarding aerobic exercise.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion8 View Post
I also read that Dr. Kenneth Cooper the originator of the term aerobic exercise has recanted all his assertions regarding aerobic exercise.
Where have you read this? Nothing that I have seen by or about him or his Cooper Institute indicates that.

As far as dangerous goes, you may be referring to an issue for sedentary people with existing atherosclerosis who exercise at very high intensity, often unintentionally (e.g. shoveling snow after the first snowfall of the season), causing unstable plaques to break or get clots on. That is why sedentary people or those with low physical fitness or existing heart disease are advised to consult with their doctors first and ramp up exercise performance slowly.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User

I was researching aerobics on line.I read in many places that it is not necessary. Many articles pointed out its dangers.There were much more negative articles than positive articles.Many articles said it was putting an unnecessary strain on the body. These articles were not anti exercise. They did point out the importance of exercise. The articles that favored aerobics were the ones that had some sort of exercise program or apparatus to sell. The Dr.Cooper quote I did read on line. Dr. Cooper no longer believes that aerobic fitness is needed and even goes as far as saying it may be extremely harmful. In fact most people in the world do not practice cardiovascular fitness and they seem to be doing fine

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
The Dr.Cooper quote I did read on line. Dr. Cooper no longer believes that aerobic fitness is needed and even goes as far as saying it may be extremely harmful. In fact most people in the world do not practice cardiovascular fitness and they seem to be doing fine
Neither Dr. Cooper nor his Cooper Institute makes that claim, as far as I can tell.

Regarding "most people in the world", most people in the world still do considerable amounts of manual labor and/or human powered commuting, which definitely counts as aerobic exercise leading to cardiovascular and other fitness, even though it may not be a structured exercise program. Of course, as poor countries get richer, people do less manual labor and tend to use more motorized commuting, so they get less exercise, get fat, and suffer greater amounts of heart disease, diabetes, etc..

Regarding the leading causes of death in the US, links to .gov sites are allowed. According to http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm the leading causes of death in the US are heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lower respiratory diseases, and accidents. Heart disease and cancer each cause more deaths than the other three combined. Lack of exercise is associated with risk factors for both heart disease and cancer.

Last edited by tjlhb; 10-12-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

You read ONE article that pretty much goes counter to DECADES of research, books, articles, and basic common sense. If you're willing to believe that one source over everything else that is out there, I don't think us giving an opposing view will help because there is a plethora of opposing views out there including the recommendations of the American Heart Association. Will you occasionally find a runner that drops dead of a heart attack? Sure. If you want to find an anomaly, they are out there. But when looked at generally, those who exercise live longer than those who do not. More importantly, those who exercise live healthier than those who do not.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User

I read many many articles.I do not base any decision I make on one source. I looked at many web sites and there are more negative than positive articles on aerobics.Would you change your mind if evidence is given to the contrary or would you stick to a long held belief no matter what?

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User

<All my sources> agree that exercise is needed for good health. They say say that aerobics are in excess of the exercise that is needed.They are saying you need to exercise to a certain threshold. After you reach that threshold any additional exercise does not give an added benefit.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

So you enter a biased search parameter and you get biased material back. I wondered how you were managing to get more articles that had negative info on aerobics than positive. You've answered my question.

My suggestion is this: If you have made up your mind, I say more power to you. That's great. Carry on. But if you are genuinely curious and trying to decide whether aerobic activity has any value, then you need to ditch your preconceived ideas and approach your research with an open mind.

<edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

I agree. Are you telling us it is a waste of time, or are you really curious? Anyways, a waste of time? Well my blood pressure was 148/120 and my cholesterol was pretty high too. I started running again, lost 15 pounds, got my blood pressure to 99/100, and cholesterol levels slightly below normal. Not to mention I felt much, much better. Not a waste of time for me.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
sjb
Senior Veteran
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

HI there! I know about a heart and health program that includes walking in their successful program and I know a nursing school that includes walking as a recommendation for most patients even after heart attacks unless a doctor specifically gives instructions not to do so. A film was showed about a guy who started an exercise program after his heart attack and instead of getting worse he got better.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
orion8
(male)

orion8 HB User

Finally! Some people who answer back with an opposing view. Thank you.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
They are saying you need to exercise to a certain threshold. After you reach that threshold any additional exercise does not give an added benefit.
Given that the threshold where additional exercise stops accuing health benefits is far higher than the amount and intensity of exercise that all but committed athletes or heavy manual laborers perform, it is not clear what you are suggesting people do instead.

The US CDC recommends a minimum level of exercise for adults, including older (65+) adults, of 150 minutes of "moderate" aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of "vigorous" aerobic exercise, plus 2 strength training sessions per week. And they say that for even greater benefits, doubling the aerobic exercise to 300 minutes of "moderate" or 150 minutes of "vigorous" exercise per week can be done.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/olderadults.html

Of course, you can get more exercise benefits in less time by doing "vigorous" exercise rather than "moderate" exercise. Is the latter what you mean by "waste of time"?

Some studies and organizations advocate doing high intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio exercise rather than aerobic intensity exercise, claiming that it produces a better cardiovascular training effect in less time. From their point of view, they may see longer duration aerobic exercise as a "waste of time" in that it would take longer to get the same training effect. But is that what you mean? High intensity in this context means anaerobic sprint intensity, or going all out for a minute or so each interval, with low intensity easy minutes in between.

Last edited by tjlhb; 10-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
chile2
(male)

chile2 HB User

I feel aerobic exercise is in the long run boring.Most people who begin this type of exercise usually give it up after a while as it becomes so tedious and boring. I know that people who post here will disagree with me.Why is it that so many people who after joining a gym or fitness club quit after a while? The exercise becomes tedious and boring. I am no expert on what the long term benefits or harm from aerobic exercise are.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-15-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
chile2
(male)

chile2 HB User

I remember something a famous female actress said.She said aerobics has to be the least appealing activity.I don't know how this word came into being "aerobics". I guess gym instructors got together and said"If we are going to charge money we can't call it jumping up and down" This was part of her comedy routine but it sure cannot be far from the truth

Closed Thread