It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Healing Muscles and Ankle Issues

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
WanderingAround
(female)

WanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB UserWanderingAround HB User
Healing Muscles and Ankle Issues

So I looked (admittedly, briefly) through the forum and couldn't find anything that answers all my questions. So, here they are -

1.Is there a way to help muscles heal faster? I am often very sore after a hard rugby practice or weight lifting session, not to mention three days in a row of conditioning/practice. I have been prescribed 800mg motrin and 10mg Flexeril (for previous back pain...unrelated to this) but I don't like to take them all the time. I know the motrin kind of increases blood flow to the muscles (or something like that), but do either of these actually help heal the muscle? I have been massaging and icing my legs as well. Just wondering if there are any certain foods I should be eating or other behaviors I should be following. I also started eating more potassium.

2. I have a pain on the inside of my knee-ankle area (calf, but on the inside of my leg), in both legs. Some days it is worse on one side. It hurts really bad right after stopping a sprint or run, to the point that I can't really talk to anyone for a couple minutes. I think it might have something to do with tendons? It seems to get better after about an an hour and some massaging, and even better with a day of rest, but with the practice schedule they have us on those are few and far between.

3. Usually only during warm-ups I get a stabbing sensation in the middle of my left rib-cage area and around my left shoulder/neck. This usually goes away after a few minutes. Should I be overly concerned?

Another thing, I am relatively new to hardcore workouts. I have always been active, but not "on-a-competitive-team" active and I am about 10lbs overweight.

Any responses are much appreciated

Last edited by WanderingAround; 10-21-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
diamond839
(female)

diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
Re: Healing Muscles and Ankle Issues

You need to rest your sore areas until healed. You cannot work injured areas. Go to a doctor and find out what exactly is wrong. Until you do that you are going to worsen your injuries if you continue to put stress on them.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

For actual injuries or sharp pain, rest them and see a doctor if they don't get better. Otherwise, you may damage them more.

For soreness from heavier exercise than you previously have done, you probably need a rest day after a hard workout. The need for a rest day may get less as you get stronger and fitter relative to the intensity of the workouts. The soreness is due to the muscles breaking down during exercise and then rebuilding themselves stronger. So be sure to eat a nourishing diet with sufficient protein.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
WanderingAround
(female)

Thank you, to both of you.
I have also been increasing my protein, although I think I need more.

The problem here is that I can't rest. We have conditioning/practice monday-thursday, then a game over the weekend. If I'm lucky I'll get a saturday off with nothing more than a long walk.
I know rest is the best way to heal muscles...I'm, unfortunately, looking for alternatives.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Do the coaches know about the injuries? They probably don't want to see a player continue to practice and compete while injured so that the injury gets bad enough to knock the player out for the rest of the season or worse. Also, I would hope that if the team is accepting novices, they would know that novices need some time to build up their fitness in order to be fully capable of handling the same workout intensity and duration as the more experienced athletes.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
WanderingAround
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Do the coaches know about the injuries? They probably don't want to see a player continue to practice and compete while injured so that the injury gets bad enough to knock the player out for the rest of the season or worse. Also, I would hope that if the team is accepting novices, they would know that novices need some time to build up their fitness in order to be fully capable of handling the same workout intensity and duration as the more experienced athletes.
No, and I'm not going to tell them, because I don't have any "real injuries," just pain, and I desperately want to play in a D1 game, I've only been playing in D2 or non-league games.
You would think that they would give us time to rest, but they say that your endurance can go down within two days of resting. So...here I am! Being stubborn and trying to heal without time.

I've always had pain in my back, neck, shoulders and knees though, even as a kid, so it could just be that I'm a wimp. Another reason I don't bring it up.

Last edited by WanderingAround; 10-22-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
tjlhb
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingAround View Post
No, and I'm not going to tell them, because I don't have any "real injuries," just pain, and I desperately want to play in a D1 game, I've only been playing in D2 or non-league games.
Sharp or unusual pains (not the typical muscle soreness after hard exercise) is usually trying to tell you that something is wrong and that you may hurt it worse if you are not careful. Is it really worth the risk of a season (or sports career) ending injury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingAround View Post
You would think that they would give us time to rest, but they say that your endurance can go down within two days of resting. So...here I am! Being stubborn and trying to heal without time.
Studies on detraining after not practicing or exercising indicate that the detraining effect starts after a few weeks not days.

Indeed, overtraining relative to your current level of fitness may result in poor gains, or even losing fitness and strength.

While the current practice and competition schedule may be fine for experienced athletes who have been training for a while, it may be overtraining for you if you just recently joined the team after not previously practiced and competed at this frequency and intensity.

Consider the possibility of using the off season to sort out the ankle issues and possibly injury problems, and/or build up your fitness so that you will be ready to practice and compete at the desired level next season.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjlhb For This Useful Post:
WanderingAround (10-25-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
bdrunner79
Veteran
(male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Well there's a big difference between sore muscles and injuries. Injuries will not heal without rest, period. Muscle soreness is different. You can speed recovery of sore muscles by keeping an increased blood flow to those muscles. I don't know much about rugby at all. All I can say is that the day after a tough workout or hard run, if I jogged easily and a really gentle intensity, my muscles healed faster than if I just sat out.

Injuries get prolonged if rest is not taken.

The Following User Says Thank You to bdrunner79 For This Useful Post:
WanderingAround (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
WanderingAround
(female)

I have read all your replies, and I thank you for them!

I decided to try to take some advice - I took this weekend off, it was only two days, but it was still two days of rest and stretching.

Closed Thread