It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Exercise & Fitness Message Board

  • Constant muscle cramps?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Eagle River
    Posts: 1,267
    EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
    Question Constant muscle cramps?

    I'm not sure where else to put this so I'm going to try the exercise forum since it's related.

    For the past several months, my muscles cramp regularly but ONLY when it the full extended position, and only below the waist. If I straighten my leg and flex my quad, it will cramp. If I straighten my foot into a point to fully flex my calf, it will cramp. I get groin cramps while stretching. I get foot cramps doing yoga. I don't exercise every day, and oddly enough I never cramp doing resistance training.

    I take magnesium every day. My diet is rich in potassium. I am allergic to dairy so my calcium intake may be a little low but I do drink fortified soy milk and eat leafy green vegetables.

    The only medication I am on is thyroid, and none of my other routines have changed.

    I have discussed this with my doctor, who is stumped.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this and what I can do to mitigate it?

    Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-26-2011 at 05:01 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Eagle River
    Posts: 1,267
    EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    Bump. Anyone? I am open to ANY suggestion. The cramps are bothersome, but I'm also concerned they may be some sort of symptom of an underlying condition. But I wouldn't even know what to start testing for.

     
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
    diamond839
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    diamond839's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Location: USA
    Posts: 226
    diamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB Userdiamond839 HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    I have no idea but you may want to have some blood work done if you haven't already. That may give you some answers. I do not know how old you are, but menopause and peri-menopause can cause all kinds of crazy stuff in a woman's body.
    It sounds like some sort of dietary imbalance, but thats just a wild guess. Do you drink enough water?

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to diamond839 For This Useful Post:
    EagleRiverDee (07-27-2011)
    Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Eagle River
    Posts: 1,267
    EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamond839 View Post
    I have no idea but you may want to have some blood work done if you haven't already. That may give you some answers. I do not know how old you are, but menopause and peri-menopause can cause all kinds of crazy stuff in a woman's body.
    It sounds like some sort of dietary imbalance, but thats just a wild guess. Do you drink enough water?
    I'm 38, I am overweight but have been for years and actually lost 25 lbs last year and this muscle cramping issue is rather recent, just in the past few months. It could be a dietary imbalance- I've been trying to add in foods that I don't normally eat (whole foods) in an effort to maybe hit the magic nutrient. I drink about 2-1/2 liters of water a day. More if I'm exercising. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, and no juice, alcohol, or soda. I may have had some luck yesterday- I made an effort to eat and drink foods that contained all the electrolytes- I ate a banana, drank coconut juice, took a liquid Cal/Mag/D supplement and ate shake-n-bake pork chops (sodium, haha). Today I'm not having the muscle cramps...yet.

    If this keeps up I'm going to ask for blood tests.

    Thanks for the reply. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

     
    Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
    MissAnnaAmy
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: new hampshire
    Posts: 43
    MissAnnaAmy HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    it sounds like you dont have enough liquid in your system
    drink lots of water
    also
    potassium is another great remedy (bananas)

     
    Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Eagle River
    Posts: 1,267
    EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissAnnaAmy View Post
    it sounds like you dont have enough liquid in your system
    drink lots of water
    also
    potassium is another great remedy (bananas)
    Thanks!

     
    Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
    MissAnnaAmy
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: new hampshire
    Posts: 43
    MissAnnaAmy HB User
    Re: Constant muscle cramps?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I'm not sure where else to put this so I'm going to try the exercise forum since it's related.

    For the past several months, my muscles cramp regularly but ONLY when it the full extended position, and only below the waist. If I straighten my leg and flex my quad, it will cramp. If I straighten my foot into a point to fully flex my calf, it will cramp. I get groin cramps while stretching. I get foot cramps doing yoga. I don't exercise every day, and oddly enough I never cramp doing resistance training.

    I take magnesium every day. My diet is rich in potassium. I am allergic to dairy so my calcium intake may be a little low but I do drink fortified soy milk and eat leafy green vegetables.

    The only medication I am on is thyroid, and none of my other routines have changed.

    I have discussed this with my doctor, who is stumped.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what is causing this and what I can do to mitigate it?

    youre water intake is to minimal
    also potassium (bananas ) are a great source to prevent muscle cramps

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Tightness in Calf Muscle montesflus Exercise & Fitness 0 08-08-2009 06:17 PM
    muscle sprain fawn512 Exercise & Fitness 4 06-15-2007 04:04 AM
    Leg Cramps At Night heartlandguy Exercise & Fitness 10 05-08-2005 04:58 PM

    Tags
    muscle cramps



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:59 PM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!