It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Can you lose weight by walking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
    LittleTeaBlosso
    (female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User
    Can you lose weight by walking?

Hi everyone. I go on a 30-40 minuet walk about 5 days a week. I was very fast and try to speed up and slow down a few times to increase my heart rate. As I was walking tody a lady came up behind me with her dog and said I see you walking a lot but just an FYI you won't lose weight by just walking. She said she tried it fir 2 years but didn't drop a pound. Ten she started to dance for a half hour everyday and lot 30lbs! Is walking ok to lose weight or is it basically just for people to maintain the weight lose? Any tips? Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
    Robocat
    (female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User
    Re: Can you lose weight by walking?

Don't listen to her! She probably wasn't watching what she ate. I walked every where for 6 months and lost 20 lbs. It's all about diet and exercise. I did 1 hour a night with my daughter. You can carry weights with you to make it more challenging. I'm now running an hour a day (not lately) and dropped an additional 27lbs. I eat a vegetarian diet and do weights 3-4 times a week. It all starts somewhere.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
    LittleTeaBlosso
    (female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robocat View Post
    Don't listen to her! She probably wasn't watching what she ate. I walked every where for 6 months and lost 20 lbs. It's all about diet and exercise. I did 1 hour a night with my daughter. You can carry weights with you to make it more challenging. I'm now running an hour a day (not lately) and dropped an additional 27lbs. I eat a vegetarian diet and do weights 3-4 times a week. It all starts somewhere.
    Thank you!!! That makes me feel a lot better! I love walking and think its the best workout without injuring your body. I'll be sure to watch what I eat closer as well! Thank you!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
    victuras
    (female)

victuras HB User

You absolutely can lose weight! I was very inactive in high school, but after I graduated I started walking for about 20 minutes a day (that's it!) and over a period of three months, I lost 30 pounds. As robo said, you do need to watch what you eat, as well, or you're just working off enough for an extra Oreo. But you can definitely lose a little while walking! Have you seen a difference? I know I felt much better when I became more active!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
    LittleTeaBlosso
    (female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

Awesome and goodfor you! That makes so much sence about watching what you eat otherwise you're just taking off one Oreo! I don't see a huge different yet but I will start watching what I eat even more so! Thank you!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
    Charice
    (female)

Charice HB User

Walking can definitely help you lose weight but the results varies with different people. If it's working for you, then keep doing it.

Keep track of your walking schedule and your diet to see how you progress. If you think you've reached a plateau with your workout, then you'll have to either pick a new routine or increase your routine.

The lady does have a point with dancing though. Dancing is very effective (it's like aerobics) as the movements work the entire body at different intensity levels. Your body is constantly moving and trying to balance itself which will use more energy (burn more calories).

Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
    jef112
    (male)

jef112 HB User

I agree with everything replied here so far. Kudos to those who replied and are trying to help. I'll just throw in my two cents....

It's difficult to just ask "will walking help me lose weight?". By itself, probably not. If you incorporate it into a complete healthy lifestyle, it will definitely help. In other words, look at the whole package of what you are doing to live a healthy lifestyle. Being active is a big part of it, of course. But you need to eat healthy foods and get enough sleep as well. Without writing a book here, I'll just try and sum it up this way: Keep moving. Walk...absolutely. Ride your bike. Stand up and move around as much as possible. Being sedentary is literally a killer. KEEP MOVING. Next, eat real, high quality, food. Fruits and veggies. Nix the processed stuff, fast food, sugary treats, etc... Finally, get enough sleep. Sleep is highly important to living a healthy lifestyle and frequently overlooked.

Also, with all the above being said, be wary of people offering fitness advice like "walking won't help you" within 2 minutes of meeting you. Anyone who would say that does not know much about health or helping people. You really can't offer advice like that without know much more about what the person you are giving the advice to is and/or is not already doing for their health.

Try and look as fitness and living healthy as a journey. It's not really a puzzle to be solved and then you're done with it. It should be a continuing learning process and is totally specific to you. What works for others, may not work for you. The above are the basics of healthy living. A good place to start. The rest will be up to you. Hope this helps and good luck to you in your journey.

Closed Thread