It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• What are some good ways to lose weight? Can an overweight person learn to swim?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
    dash498
    Inactive
    (male)

dash498 HB User
    What are some good ways to lose weight? Can an overweight person learn to swim?

I need to lose weight as I am overweight, I am 200 pounds. The main problem is I cannot exercise. If I go on a treadmill or other gym equipment I get bored after five minutes and get off. What are some other tips to maybe lose weight

I have been hearing that swimming is a great way to lose weight. I am considering learning to swim but the problem I have is since I am overweight will I be able to float and stay straight in the water like other people do? Also I am 23 years old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: What are some good ways to lose weight? Can an overweight person learn to swim?

Absolutely....start somewhere. With that, your motivation to do other modes of exercise routines, you'll find the niche that'll be of more interest.

I do suggest exercise dvds for treadmill. You'll gain better insight as to how to make routines less boring since they'll be more cognitive and involving than just "walking".

As someone who hates exercise and 60...I must stress that keeping yourself in good shape (not obsessed), will serve you a lifetime. You will always look back and wish you did. I'll be starting to implement my advice, for I would like to not set myself up for disappointment and increased discomfort (which I've had my whole life) as I age. Every month I procrastinate feels like it steals a year since recovery isn't like it was when I was "young".

You'll never regret starting to feel better by something you do for yourself.
    q

Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: What are some good ways to lose weight? Can an overweight person learn to swim?

Take a book to read at the gym. I hate walking on the treaadmill and that's the only way I can do it. When the weather is appropriate, walk outside. Watching what's blooming as you go or the Christmas decorations going up or down is also fun and distracting. I have a iPod I take when I jog outside. Or get a book to listen to. If there's a nature trail in your area, walk it. Go with a friend. Find what works best for you and go do it! If it's swimming, great. Walking, great. If you have a local track club they may do the Couch to 5K program and you could give that a try.
    Lots of options.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-04-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
    carter865
    (male)

carter865 HB User

Over weight person can learn to swim in fact swimming help in losing weight

Last edited by carter865; 01-07-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
    maxpow99
    (male)

maxpow99 HB Usermaxpow99 HB User

What about a suspension trainer. You could do it in your home too. I hate going out into public to work out.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

1/2 hour a day of walking shouldn't be too boring. Go to the mall and walk around a bunch of times.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
    mandy527
    (female)

mandy527 HB User

Swimming is a great way to lose weight and you can absolutely float. If you don't have a pool checkout your local gym or YMCA.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
    ben9XZ
    (male)

ben9XZ HB User

I agree that if you get bored using equipment inside, you should go outside to get your exercise in. I like to find different areas around the city that have nice scenery or are popular walking spots. It is a great way to add some variety to your exercise explore your surroundings at the same time.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #9
    adam846
    (male)

adam846 HB User

Swimming is an incredible approach for weight loss, swimming is best way to burns calories every day which help in weight loss, you should be able to lose upwards of 2-3 pounds per week while preserving your metabolic health, energy levels, mental balance, and mood. Stop eating sugar. Slow way down on starch & increase fiber & water intake daily. Walk each day, get some exercise.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
    SoleSearcher
    Inactive
    (male)

SoleSearcher HB User

Great words of advice from adam. Swimming will definitely burn calories if you can handle it. I'll also agree with running outdoors to break up the monotony. You might get an app or a Fitbit or something that will allow you to track your progress. Keeping stats will make it a little more fun and allow you to expand upon your goals. Once you start noticing results, it can actually get addictive.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-07-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
    LauratheLoser
    (female)

LauratheLoser HB User
    Talking Re: What are some good ways to lose weight? Can an overweight person learn to swim?

First of all, you rock for reaching out and asking for advice as you start your new healthy lifestyle.

Secondly, I am guessing you are not that experienced of a swimmer to begin with, so to get yourself comfortable in the water, why not try first a shallow water class of some sort? Most rec centers offer drop in classes - and yes, a lot of them are geared towards seniors, etc, but some centers are introducing classes geared for younger adults who need a challenge - For example, a few months ago I tried a shallow water spin class, which was lots of fun. Grab a friend and sign up for something that will get you used to the water and more comfortable! I was 230lbs when I did that class so yes, an overweight person can swim/use the pool as an effective method of exercise

Same goes for your local gym -- if you get bored easily, bring a friend and talk about the latest football/basketball/whatever game or movie or video game you mutually enjoy, it really helps to pass the time with a buddy to talk to. Or, do some sort of circuit class that combines resistance training with cardio, the variety of exercises should keep you on your toes. Kickboxing is super fun too, see if you have any beginner classes in your area. Basically, whatever your interests are, music, movies, gaming, sports, figure out a way to incorporate them into your workout -- ******** a movie on your phone to watch while you're on the spin bike, or challenge yourself to listen to the full album in its' entirety of your favourite artist while doing a light jog/walk interval on the treadmill or outdoors. Trust me when I say that from my own experience, exercise used to bore me and I hated it but slowly I realized that it's my 'me' time where i can let my thoughts wander, work out stress/anger/bad days, and at the end of the day it's something you're doing for yourself to better your life

Sorry for rambling, but hope that helps. Make exercise fun based on your interests is my point!

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
    LauratheLoser
    (female)

LauratheLoser HB User

OH! I should also mention that nutrition is equally, if not more, important than exercise. YES exercise is great but if you're not fueling your body properly and you put bad stuff in it, it won't run properly. Do some research online about eating clean and balancing your macronutrients (proteins, carbs, healthy fats), and eat clean 6 days a week and then let yourself enjoy a treat on the 7th day. It worked for me but everyone is different. I'm not sure if you're in the US or Canada but if you can, make an appt with a dr. or nutritionist for some advice tailored to your specific needs.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
    SamT33
    (male)

SamT33 HB User

Actually, being "larger" will allow you to float as opposed to being thin. Take it from a big guy as myself. Swimming is great, especially if the pool's water is cool -- it ends up like an air conditioner while exercising.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
    cw468
    (female)

cw468 HB User

I am a little overweight as well. I would also like to try swimming for exercise. We are moving to a new house soon and I want to buy a pool to exercise in. I don’t like going out in public to exercise either. I don’t have a treadmill yet but I plan to get one. I do have an exercise bike and a Pilates machine though and will be using them once we move. Where we are now, there is no room for either exercise machine. This is all great advice and I will also be taking some of it in to help with my exercise routine.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #15
    kingw364
    (female)

kingw364 HB User

Yes, you should be able to swim, just use moderation.

Closed Thread