It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Poor visual clarity with high prism

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
    wvk
    (male)

wvk HB User
    Poor visual clarity with high prism

Iím 66, and as Iíve gotten older my double vision (which first began about 15 years ago) has gotten worse. My last prescription called for an increase in prism to 6.5 out / 4.25 up on the right, 6.5 out / 4.25 down on the left. (Until a couple of years ago I had my glasses made at Costco, but my prism needs now exceed their capabilities. And as the tech at one optical shop commented, ďWow, youíve got a boatload of prism!Ē)

My left eye needs no distance correction ever since cataract surgery (my right does due to a scleral buckle for a detached retina), and I have long been frustrated that I could see more clearly with my left eye without glasses than with them because of the correction that the optometristís which-is-better exam always said that I ďshouldĒ have. So with my last pair, when the prism was increased, I talked the doctor into giving me plano on the left Ė but my vision through that eye is still better without the glasses!

My ophthalmologist says that this is unavoidable because the increase in prism has me looking through more material. I then tried having more of the prism loaded into the right lens, but it didnít seem to help (and left me liable to have the diplopia kick in when my eyes became tired). Iíve also had a pair made by a different optical shop with no difference.

Has anyone had similar problems with visual clarity when so much prism is called for? Will a better made lens help, or is strabismus surgery the only solution?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
    wvk
    (male)

wvk HB User
    Re: Poor visual clarity with high prism

Sorry, inadvertently posted to General Health; have reposted to Eye & Vision.

Closed Thread

Tags
    double vision, prism