It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Flickering in dark, vision dark for short moments, seeing colours in dark, pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #1
    Ijsv
    (female)

Ijsv HB User
    Question Flickering in dark, vision dark for short moments, seeing colours in dark, pain

Hello,

I want to ask you people if anyone has experience with something like this, and what it might be.

The first thing I've had for a long time, maybe 2 years, but it doesn't happen often and it's usually not that bad. It usually happens when I go to bed, I lie down, lights out, and after a while I start seeing flickering light. It doesn't matter if my eyes are open or closed. It stops after a while, or I have to look at bright light to make it stop. The main reason I'm posting is because last night it was really bad, I couldn't sleep. I would look at my phone and it would stop, but when the light was gone it happened again and it just wouldn't stop.

Later when it had stopped, I saw many colours in the complete dark, like you see when you close your eyes and focus for a while. Not sure if that means anything.

I've also noticed lately my vision goes dark for a really short second. As if I blinked harder than normal, but I didn't. At first I thought it was my computer screen, but then it happened when doing other things.

Not sure if related, maybe not, but I also notice pain behind my left eye sometimes. It's not bad, I'm not immediately concerned, it's a mild to moderate pressure.

Thank you for reading, I hope someone can reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Flickering in dark, vision dark for short moments, seeing colours in dark, pain

I've experienced something similar for many years. I get bright, pulsating lights, sometimes in the shape of a moving, or floating C mirrored in both eyes, at the same time. I refer to it as Christmas lights.

After researching, I've come to the conclusion that it is a not too serious condition called Migraine Aura (without the headaches). The sparkly lights are not something wrong with my eyes, they are caused within my mind.

I don't know if this fits your situation.

Take care!

⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-15-2016 at 05:54 AM.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
    mixxmol
    (female)

mixxmol HB User
    Re: Flickering in dark, vision dark for short moments, seeing colours in dark, pain

Have you seen an eye Doctor about this? I had light flashes and floaters that I ignored and I am having my 5th surgery tomorrow for detached retina. Its been a nightmare for 8 months now.

Last edited by mixxmol; 06-15-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
    Ijsv
    (female)

Ijsv HB User

Thank you for your answers!

Machaon you might be right, although I can't find very much about it, and it certainly doesn't look anything like what you find when searching for images of "migraine aura".. But I do assume it's something like this, something not too serious, unless it gets worse.
    The thing in the darkness looks more like having some flashing light in the room while you have your eyes closed, it's everywhere and not any shape.

Mixxmol, did you notice it getting worse before you needed surgery? Or did it stay the same, not too worrying, and then suddenly it went wrong?
    I've been to the doctor quite a lot already this year for varying reasons, it didn't help me much, so I'm really not eager to go there again and find out that again "nothing" is wrong. Makes me feel like I'm going there for attention..

Last edited by Administrator; 06-16-2016 at 07:27 AM.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Ijsv, from what I have read, one way to tell if it is a Migraine Aura, and not something more serious, or structurally wrong, is if the image is in both eyes at the same time. I get the flashing lights in both eyes, and it moves across my vision in both eyes at the same time, until it disappears off the edge of my eyesight.

I also find it very difficult to focus my eyes during the event, and have significant comprehension and memory problems, kinda like an attack of Alzheimer's. Once it is gone, all mental functions return.

⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Old 06-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
    Ijsv
    (female)

Ijsv HB User

The image is the same in both eyes I think. I never pay attention to that, all I notice is the annoying fast flashing that is everywhere I can see, so covering my entire visual field. It's a bit hard to know if I have trouble focusing my eyes, when in the dark, and with flashing light. But I don't feel different in any way, no memory or awareness problems.

I read a little bit about migraine auras. It seems to me, they come on slowly, sometimes you can tell they're coming. And they last quite a while and then fade away. That doesn't sound a lot like this.
    It just starts suddenly, it can be a few flashes, or a few minutes of flashing, or a very long time, with breaks in between sometimes. It stops when I look at bright light, and doesn't usually return after the light is gone, that doesn't sound like an aura or does it?

If it is a migraine aura, is there any way you know to stop it or make it less noticeable? What did you do about it? The light works, but that's just annoying, I have to keep putting bright light in front of my eyes when I just want to sleep. I don't really like a lot of light, sometimes I have trouble just looking anywhere that is not the ground when outside.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-17-2016 at 06:43 AM.

Closed Thread