It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Unknown problem with right eye

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
    LandL
    (male)

LandL HB User
    Unknown problem with right eye

Can I have your advice?

I am long-sighted and work at a computer for 8 hours a day. 30 years old.
    - 5 years ago I started having headaches and a painful right eye. My first eye test got my prescription wrong. The optician said I was short-sighted and gave me an incorrect prescription of -0.25 (L) and -0.25 (R).
    - After wearing that prescription for over a year I had several eye tests at the same time and received several prescriptions of approx. +0.25 and +0.50. The headaches eased off somewhat, though still present, but my right eye continued to cause much trouble. The pain I experience in my right eye is a continuous dull, uncomfortable pain all of the time and often a sharper sensation when I try to focus on anything. My right eye becomes tired quickly. Furthermore my right eye is much more sensitive to light and touch than my left. Furthermore I believe I am experiencing a slower blink in my right eye, which causes me discomfort every time I blink.
    - I saw a private eye doctor (Dr Bentley, highly regarded). He told me he thought the problem with my right eye was twofold: poor sight (which includes poor convergence) and an all year round allergy. He confirmed that apart from those two issues my eye is healthy and the muscles are working fine.
    - 3 years later and my right eye is no better. It is as said above, but I believe the blink in my right eye is slower. I have seen two eye doctors on the NHS. One diagnosed me with allergic conjunctivitis of the right eye, however both determined both my eyes to be healthy and therefore discharged me with no need for further appointment. The NHS is so overrun and exhausted that I do not believe the doctors gave me enough time considering the gravity of my concerns, and paid very little attention to my belief that I have a slow blink in the right eye.
    - More eye tests and a prescription of +0.25 and +0.75. I have worn that prescription for 1 year and the discomfort and pain in my right eye has not improved so I have taken matters into my own hands and ordered a higher prescription of +0.50 and +1.00, which I feel has helped slightly but my problems still remain.

Is it possible that I continue to Ďachieve high scoresí in the eye tests and therefore am being greatly under-prescribed? Why does my right eye feel like it has a biological age of 50; it is always uncomfortable and weak! It is always struggling to focus even when I am wearing my glasses. It also becomes dry quickly because I use a computer for long periods, but using dry eye drops is not solving any of my other issues; I use it 4 times a day. Could the issue be with the muscles surrounding my right eye, and therefore the eye doctors would not have picked up on it? Could wearing the incorrect prescription for one year have damaged my eye? When at a computer at work, my worsening eyesight seems to have slowed my cognition; is that normal? But my main is the slow blink in my right eye, it feels abnormal and often hurts every blink. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Unknown problem with right eye

Hi LandL,

Quote:
    poor sight (which includes poor convergence)
    You might consider finding someone who does vision therapy, poor convergence could be the main cause of your vision and pain problems.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
    Bleue
    (female)

Bleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB User

Hi,
    Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems, especially having to use your eyes intensely on a computer daily.

You didn't mention what kind of eye doctors you saw. Best to be seen by an eye MD - an ophthalmologist. Opticians & optometrists don't have the same extensive knowledge of the workings of the inner parts of the eye. I doubt an allergy would affect just one eye, so that sounds like the person didn't want to say "I don't know" to you.

Keep persisting; eventually you'll get to the bottom of it. If you're not happy with the NHS service then go private. Our eyes are too important to ignore.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #4
    LandL
    (male)

LandL HB User

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the private eye consultant I saw was one of the best in the world. And yes, I felt that my appointment with the NHS eye doctor was not an adequate or robust assessment of my eye.

Unfortunately nothing has changed since posting this question and I'm no closer to a solution.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
    Bleue
    (female)

Bleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB User

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with the eye. One other possible cause for the pain (but don't think the blink issue) might be a sinus issue. Our sinuses surround the eyes, and sometimes can cause symptoms in the eye. If you've never seen an ear nose & throat (ENT) doc, that can be a path to pursue. They put a thin scope up your nose (painless) and examine the sinus cavity - takes a minute and done in the office.

Hope you find the cause of your problem soon!

Reply Reply