It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Monovision/Astigmatism questions

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
KimT311
(female)

KimT311 HB User
Monovision/Astigmatism questions

I just had my eye exam. 48 years old and reading is becoming more difficult. Distance vision is also starting to go. Eye doctor wanted to prescribe bifocal glasses. I wanted contacts. We compromised on a trial for the contacts. So, I got a Monovision lens for my left eye to help with reading. Nothing for my right eye because he said I have an Astigmatism in that eye and they don't make lenses for it. I know they do so I said why can't we try one. He didn't have the strength he wanted in the office so he called the company and they told him they start at .50 (I think that's what I heard him say) he said he wouldn't put me in one that strong. Now, I'm wondering if it was just the particular company he uses (I think they were Acuvue). Has anyone had anything similar? I wish I had more info but, like I said he wanted to sell me glasses and I would just like to know the possibility of correction with contacts is not an option before I go ahead with the glasses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Monovision/Astigmatism questions

If you only need a .25 distance correction, you can get by without it. I never wore a contact nor glasses till it went to .50. However, you should be able to at least get a contact prescription from him and get it filled elsewhere. It is my understanding that some states do not require them to give you your prescription so you might check that out first. And you could certainly ask at another place about what is available in contacts. Go to one of the big national chains and ask.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Budgieluv
(female)

Budgieluv HB User

They do make soft lenses for astigmatism. The problem with contacts when you need correction for reading the correction causes distortion in the distance vision.

So you generally don't get crisp vision near and far. But you don't always need it so you may find something that works for you most of the time. But you will need glasses as a back up. Good luck --give the contacts a try! Only you will know what works for your visual needs.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:32 AM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have worn contacts and glasses all my life for astigmatism. They do make astigmatic contacts. They are called Toric lenses and there is one called Oasys.. Lots of eye companies make different astigmatic lenses.

As we get older, most of the time the astigmatism starts going away. It becomes harder to read up close! I also have this problem as well and after having bifocals (the line-less kind) made - which work great, I started playing around with mono vision contacts....I couldnt deal with them. They made me dizzy and unfocused. I also tried one contact lense which is actually a bifocal contact, but couldnt handle that either. Now, I stick with my old contacts and use cheater reading glasses when I want to read up close.

Aging does change the eyes and you will probably change every year until you are in your 60s. Many people give up on contacts at some point and wait until they can get lense replacements, which is similar to cataract surgery. I know I am waiting for the go-ahead to have this done. Everyone I know who has had it done now has perfect vision!

If your eye doctor isnt supplying you with the right contacts, you might want to find another one. Are you seeing an ophthalmologist (medical doctor) or optometrist (makes glasses)? A good ophthalmologist usually stocks all types of contacts in a good assortment of strengths.

Good luck!

Last edited by MSNik; 10-07-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: sp

Reply Reply