It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• My new optometrist prescribed lower power contacts ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
    GoldMantis
    (female)

GoldMantis HB User
    My new optometrist prescribed lower power contacts ...

Hi everyone,

I just moved from UK to US and saw an optometrist for the first time and got a new contact lens prescription. She took a look over the lenses I had been using and saw that the prescription was for OD (Right eye) -7.0 and OS (left eye) was -7.5.

She wrote me a new prescription for -6.5 for both eyes (I'm leaving out all other measurements as this is a question about the strength of prescription). She pointed out that the prescription needed to be less than my glasses prescription, as contacts sit closer to the eye.

I understand that.

But here's the thing. I've been using contact lenses for over 15 years and have always had a -7.0 and a -7.5, for many years anyway. Maybe my previous optician's way of doing things was different, but that was what I had.

I've never had headaches, blurred vision or any problem with my contacts being 'too strong'. If I'd had I definitely wouldn't have continued with them for over a decade.

Would it be worse for me to change down to a lower prescription (and one that's the same for both my eyes - never had that before!) given that, rightly or wrongly, I'm very used to the -7.0 and -7.5?

I'm concerned I may notice I can't see things that way I had been used to. The way things are in the US, it makes sense to buy lenses online through sites like 1800 contacts, in bulk so you get the best savings, which is in itself something I've never had to do before.

Please help - need some new lenses as my supply's run out, but I don't want to get 6 months worth of lenses I can't see well out of. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: My new optometrist prescribed lower power contacts ...

I'd buy the least number possible and give them a try.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
    GoldMantis
    (female)

GoldMantis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    I'd buy the least number possible and give them a try.
    Thanks!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
    Marji116
    (female)

Marji116 HB User

Are you over 45 years old. If so, presbyopia might be starting and you will not need as strong a prescription.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
    GoldMantis
    (female)

GoldMantis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marji116 View Post
    Are you over 45 years old. If so, presbyopia might be starting and you will not need as strong a prescription.
    No, I'm in my early 30s but I have an astigmatism (both eyes, actually) and I know this can (possibly?) sometimes change a prescription to make it less strong as aging occurs. I've probably got the terminology wrong, but you get the idea.

I have now gone ahead and bought a -6.5 prescription on the advice of the previous poster - let's see how that works out! I'll be back to post more after I receive them and have tried them out.

Thank you both for your kind help!

Old 12-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
    Budgieluv
    (female)

Budgieluv HB User

My optometrist gives me samples to try before purchasing. Ask for samples and try them out first. Can't imagine buying contacts without trying first!

Reply Reply