It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Gunky left eye after removing contact lens.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
    Stargazer776
    (female)

Stargazer776 HB User
    Gunky left eye after removing contact lens.

I have been using contact lenses for about twenty years and in the last few years, I have been atlernating between glasses and contact lenses. I use disposable soft lenses that last 2 weeks. I take them out after wearing them and soak them in solution overnight.

I have been on holidays for the last couple of months and I have been wearing my glasses most of the time. I have only worn my contact lenses a few times and each time, my left eye has become red and gunky after removing the lens. I did wear my contacts for nine or ten hours but I have done that in the past and hardly had a problem.

I made sure I did everything right, washed my hands before putting the lens in, soaked them overnight in a clean lens case etc but it made no difference. I even opened new lenses and my left eye still got gunky. I never leave my lenses in when I go to bed. My left eye becomes red and gunky like I've got conjunctivitis but I know it isn't that, I've had it before and always in both eyes. The gunk is a light yellow colour and thick. It feels like grit in my eye and after wearing them last night, my eye was itchy, then sore like something was under my eyelid. I did find that eyedrops like visine did help and antihistamines. Surely this isn't hayfever or an allergy as it keeps happening and only after wearing lenses. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Gunky left eye after removing contact lens.

Dear Stargazer,

You might have a lingering infection in your eyes that you don't notice that is contaminating your lenses.

You may need to throw the disposables away after one use, and only use glasses until you are positive that your eyes are completely recovered.

Consult your doctor and ask how to break that cycle if you can't do it yourself.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
    Stargazer776
    (female)

Stargazer776 HB User

This has only started happening while I've been on holidays, I wore my glasses most of the time but a few times I wore my contacts to go out and my left eye got gunky each time. If it was an infection, I'm guessing my eye would continue to be gunky even when I wasn't using contact lenses. It isn't gunky until I take my contact lens out which I find a bit strange. Plus if my contact lenses were contaminated, wouldn't both my eyes be gunky? I have changed lenses 3 times and I didn't use my lenses for over a month but the problem happened again after wearing them last night and they were brand new lenses.

Last edited by Stargazer776; 03-02-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:56 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

It sounds like you have an infection in your eye and you are contaminating your lenses...even a new pair isn't going to get rid of this. You need to treat the infection.
    Please go see an ophthalmologist.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
    Stargazer776
    (female)

Stargazer776 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    It sounds like you have an infection in your eye and you are contaminating your lenses...even a new pair isn't going to get rid of this. You need to treat the infection.
    Please go see an ophthalmologist.
    If I have an infection in my eye, why does it only flare up after wearing lenses? Wouldn't my eye be sore and gunky even when I wasn't wearing lenses? Eye drops seem to ease it a little and antihistamines help too. I'm wondering if it might also be an allergy to my contact lens solution or something outside. The few times I've worn my lenses in the last couple of months, I've spent a lot of time outside. Plus I realised today that I've been using the same bottle of solution for a while so maybe that could be the culprit?

I will make an appointment with my optomertrist this week.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

try switching to solutions for sensitive eyes.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #7
    Stargazer776
    (female)

Stargazer776 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    try switching to solutions for sensitive eyes.
    I was thinking the same thing, I might try that first before seeing my optomertrist. I've had an eye infection in the past and it felt different to this, this only happens after I take my contacts out.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #8
    Stargazer776
    (female)

Stargazer776 HB User

I bought some new contact lens solution yesterday, Renu by Bausch and Lomb Sensitive. I wore my contact lenses all day today and my left eye didn't get gunky at all. I'm guessing that maybe I had an allergy to my other contact solution.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Good deal. Back before they had solutions for sensitive eyes, I had to make my own saline and keep it and my lenses in the refrigerator! Was so glad when the thimerisol free stuff came on the market!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

That's great Stargazer!
    I get reactions to just about everything and have to be so careful. I'm glad you found what works better for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Reply Reply