It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Presbyopia

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
    Laylalou
    (female)

Laylalou HB User
    Presbyopia

I had an eye test yesterday and I need reading glasses, admittedly I have been struggling to read etc but just kind of ignored it but having the test and being told has completely freaked me out as my eyes have always been really good. The optician said considering the bright lights in his office my eyes were quite bad, I am so worried. I have the glasses ordered but now I have been trying to read and I canít even read big writing if it is nearer than about 30 cm. I donít understand how I have suddenly got like this. I was trying to look at a photo on my phone today and literally couldnít make it out. How fast will this progress, Iím only 41.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Presbyopia

Very common in over 40 folks. It may stay right where it is or it may get worse. Just get the glasses and go on with life. I can't eat without mine on!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
    Laylalou
    (female)

Laylalou HB User

Well thanks for replying so quickly, I will no doubt get on with life, I know in the scheme of things itís a minor problem but I actually feel quite distressed that I canít see things close up, that I hadnít actually acknowledged it to myself, I went into the test thinking I wouldnít need glasses as always had perfect sight. To go from no glasses to needing them as I can see nothing properly within 30 cm or so is to me worrying. I was doing the moving things at arms length so I can see them and because I can then see them I guess I thought it was fine.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #4
    Laylalou
    (female)

Laylalou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Very common in over 40 folks. It may stay right where it is or it may get worse. Just get the glasses and go on with life. I can't eat without mine on!
    How old are you if you donít mind me asking, only people i know have reading glasses are in their sixties

Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm 73 now but wore contacts for distance for years. I started wearing readers over them in my early 40s and went to monovision contacts by 50 which I wore till about 66 when dry eye did away with the contacts and I went to glasses with progressive lenses. We learned right off that I can't do computer work with them so also have a pair of prescription readers for the computer( one eye is 3.25and one is 3.50 now) and wear my progressives for driving,movies, TV,etc.

Reply Reply