It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Difficulties after cataract surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
    jackie820
    (female)

jackie820 HB User
    Difficulties after cataract surgery

I had surgery in the summer of 2016. Now almost 3 1/2 years later I have had 7 different glasses prescriptions; each time the measurements change slightly (the astigmatism correction changes the most), and each time the glasses are OK for a while and then become almost unbearable. I find I have extreme eye strain, compounded by dry eye, also a result of the surgery; I take my glasses off the the relief is almost immediate.

When I'm outdoors and active I almost always wear sunglasses and my eyes feel great; sometimes I wear cheap OTC bifocal sunglasses that also feel great. I've been to four different doctors, the first prescriptions was from the surgeon; I complained and was given an appointment with an optometrist at the surgical center who said the astigmatism correction was too strong; after trying her prescription I went to the same center, closer location, and another optometrist prescribed something different.

Again I tried the glasses for 3-4 months, then another prescription from the same doctor; it was even worse, and I lost confidence in him and went to a different ophthalmologist from another firm. He has prescribed 3 different times; my most recent pair is causing me the same problems. He admitted at my last visit that cataract surgery can cause problems with progressive lenses. He suggested I get trifocals and when I said I thought the progressives were just that, he said, no they are multi-focal and trifocals would have 3 lines.
    I wasn't ready to go there.

I think I may just have to use my glasses for reading and closeup only since my distance correction is very minor and I can see to drive. This is not a welcome option, as anyone knows who has carried a pair of reading glasses around with them. I'm at my wits end and just sharing this mostly to vent. As to how much money I've spent on 7-8 different pairs of glasses, I don't want to go there. I still have to add it up, but it's been considerable.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-14-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Difficulties after cataract surgery

Get a pair with clear glass at the top and reading at the bottom. That's what several of my friends have done who didn't want to carry readers around.

Reply Reply