It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Eye & Vision Message Board

  • Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 103
    StayFit42 HB User
    Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Yesterday when I was using my computer, I suddenly had trouble seeing and reading. I have "floaters" in my eyes, which are normal, but it suddenly looked like I had a whole lot more of them and they blocked about half of my vision, mainly in my peripheral vision, but also in the middle of my view as well and it made it very difficult to read. I started looking up these symptoms the best I could using Google and the only thing I could find that seemed to somewhat match was a Migraine with Aura, although I didn't have a headache. I've had migraine headaches before, but not accompanied by an aura, and certainly never an aura with no headache. The blurred/blocked vision I was having lasted maybe 20 minutes and suddenly went away. Later at night, it happened again, but to a somewhat lesser degree. I started wondering if it was the onset of a stroke or something else serious.

    Since I just started eating blueberries over the past couple day, I thought maybe they had triggered these episodes. I had eaten them for the first time the previous night. But doing a bit of research into that idea doesn't seem to show anything. One place indicated that eating too many (I was eating a third of a pint each day) could cause low blood sugar.

    Any idea about what I was experiencing? My blueberries have run out and I don't plan on having any more for awhile. I'll see if the symptoms come back first. Blueberries are supposed to be super-healthy, so I'd hate to write them off if they weren't the cause.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 02-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
    xltjim
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Location: Illinois
    Posts: 21
    xltjim HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    It may be nothing and could be reaction to something you ate or maybe not. You may want to start with a visit to an Opthalmologist to take a look at your eyes. Sudden onset of new floaters can be indication of retina issues (tears, detachment). You didn't mention if it was both eyes or just one? In any event the Opthalmologist can rule out eye issues, and you can get a baseline for the future. He/She may also make recommendation to see your general practioner to check on overall health if nothing is found. Google "retina detachment" to see if this sounds like what you are experiencing. If you notice any of the warning signs consider it an emergency (like call and get in right away, ER if opthalmologist not available).

    I have had detachments in both eyes (a year apart). I had the sudden onset of floaters (but in one eye) in each case that cleared up after they appeared -- but. I began to notice loss of vision in that eye and knew something wasn't right.

    Good luck, Jim

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 103
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xltjim View Post
    It may be nothing and could be reaction to something you ate or maybe not. You may want to start with a visit to an Opthalmologist to take a look at your eyes. Sudden onset of new floaters can be indication of retina issues (tears, detachment). You didn't mention if it was both eyes or just one? In any event the Opthalmologist can rule out eye issues, and you can get a baseline for the future. He/She may also make recommendation to see your general practioner to check on overall health if nothing is found. Google "retina detachment" to see if this sounds like what you are experiencing. If you notice any of the warning signs consider it an emergency (like call and get in right away, ER if opthalmologist not available).

    I have had detachments in both eyes (a year apart). I had the sudden onset of floaters (but in one eye) in each case that cleared up after they appeared -- but. I began to notice loss of vision in that eye and knew something wasn't right.

    Good luck, Jim
    Thank you for your response!
    The problem seemed to be happening in both eyes.
    I looked up Retinal detachment and was startled to find that this seems to match my condition. It says that it's more common in people over age 50.
    I'm 48, which is close. You may be right that I should see a doctor about it. Losing my eyesight is one of my biggest fears.

    The good news is that I haven't had any further episodes since the day prior to writing my post. But I will seriously consider an appointment for the very near future.

    One thing that sucks in my case is that the major eye clinic in my area just burned down and hasn't been rebuilt yet. Bad timing!

    On the bright side of things, I guess I won't have to give up blueberries!

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
    xltjim
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Location: Illinois
    Posts: 21
    xltjim HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Well I would guess if you saw it in both eyes at the same time it may not be retina related. I don't think I ever heard of a retina detachment in both eyes at the same time. I think you have a couple ways to go about this.

    I am paranoid about my eyes after both of them gave me issues. Had to have vitrectomy and gas bubble in both of them followed soon with cataract surgery. I am not a doctor but feel like one after all this LOL. I was 58 when my first eye had a detachment followed a year to the day with the other one. I actually started losing vision (that curtain or shadow they talk about).

    If these are caught early enough, some cases can be handled right in the MD office. I wasn't so lucky though. My vitreous was very sticky and tugged the retinas and tore them. You can also google Post Vitreous Detachment. Very common thing to experience as us youngsters age, uncommon when it pulls hard enough to tear the retina. I guess being nearsighted is a factor as well.

    Now that I scared you (kidding) -

    1). You could do nothing but watchful waiting. It happens again you need to get it checked out - urgently if you notice mega floaters (like ink), loss of vision. When mine detached there was no mistaking something bad was going on - no doubt about it.

    2). While doing option 1 above....Schedule an appointment with an Opthalmologist somewhere to get that baseline. Having an established relationship with one along with an exam record will make it easier to get in for future. I would say non emergency unless you notice this again.

    3). If you haven't had an MD physical lately....probably a good idea regardless. If the opthalmologist doesn't find anything thats great, but I bet he will suggest the physical.

    Good luck to you and take care.

    Jim

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
    StayFit42
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 103
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xltjim View Post
    Well I would guess if you saw it in both eyes at the same time it may not be retina related. I don't think I ever heard of a retina detachment in both eyes at the same time. I think you have a couple ways to go about this.

    I am paranoid about my eyes after both of them gave me issues. Had to have vitrectomy and gas bubble in both of them followed soon with cataract surgery. I am not a doctor but feel like one after all this LOL. I was 58 when my first eye had a detachment followed a year to the day with the other one. I actually started losing vision (that curtain or shadow they talk about).

    If these are caught early enough, some cases can be handled right in the MD office. I wasn't so lucky though. My vitreous was very sticky and tugged the retinas and tore them. You can also google Post Vitreous Detachment. Very common thing to experience as us youngsters age, uncommon when it pulls hard enough to tear the retina. I guess being nearsighted is a factor as well.

    Now that I scared you (kidding) -

    1). You could do nothing but watchful waiting. It happens again you need to get it checked out - urgently if you notice mega floaters (like ink), loss of vision. When mine detached there was no mistaking something bad was going on - no doubt about it.

    2). While doing option 1 above....Schedule an appointment with an Opthalmologist somewhere to get that baseline. Having an established relationship with one along with an exam record will make it easier to get in for future. I would say non emergency unless you notice this again.

    3). If you haven't had an MD physical lately....probably a good idea regardless. If the opthalmologist doesn't find anything thats great, but I bet he will suggest the physical.

    Good luck to you and take care.

    Jim
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was both eyes that were affected even though it didn't occur to me to try looking out of each eye separately to find out at the time. It was too much of a surprise occurrence at the time. But I'm betting that it really was both eyes because I remember that I was having a hard time reading the words on the computer screen I was using. If only one eye was affected, then the good eye should have compensated to let me still see.

    The incident happened on Saturday (twice) and now it's been a few days without it happening again. I haven't made any appointments, and I guess now I'm waiting for another occurrence to make a decision. I hope that won't prove to be a mistake.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
    Bleue
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: New York USA
    Posts: 158
    Bleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    You should see an ophthalmologist ASAP. Sometimes the retina tears rather than detaches but with similar symptoms. If that's the case with you, waiting for another occurrence can make any damage worse and jeopardize your vision. Why gamble with your vision? It's like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand! If you had a tear(s) it won't heal by itself but catching it early can save you much worry and discomfort.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
    StayFit42
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 103
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bleue View Post
    You should see an ophthalmologist ASAP. Sometimes the retina tears rather than detaches but with similar symptoms. If that's the case with you, waiting for another occurrence can make any damage worse and jeopardize your vision. Why gamble with your vision? It's like an ostrich putting it's head in the sand! If you had a tear(s) it won't heal by itself but catching it early can save you much worry and discomfort.
    I went to an Ophthamologist yesterday. I did this after having a few more episodes, none of which were as severe as the first occurrence which happened last Saturday. I noticed that it sometimes occurred in both eyes at the same time, and sometimes just the right or left eye.

    After putting dialating drops in my eyes, the doctor shined a light in them and looked around after I explained my problem. He said everything looked just fine and concluded that what I was experiencing was migraines. I asked if it was possible that I might have a brain tumor in the vision part of my brain, but he said no. I doubt there's any way he could know that for sure though.

    When I look up the symptoms of migraines, it seems that the floaters and aura that they talk about are usually precursors of a giant headache that follows afterwards, or happens at the same time. That's not happening. I've had migraine headaches in the past many times (although not recently) and they aren't pleasant.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
    Bleue
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: New York USA
    Posts: 158
    Bleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    I'm glad you saw an ophthalmologist! Hopefully it eased your concerns as you now know the retina is OK.

    There is something called an optical migraine, which I assume the doctor meant. They are painless and apparently harmless but can be scary as visual disturbances are the primary symptom. I've had them too.

    Hopefully they'll just fade away with time.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
    StayFit42
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 103
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bleue View Post
    I'm glad you saw an ophthalmologist! Hopefully it eased your concerns as you now know the retina is OK.

    There is something called an optical migraine, which I assume the doctor meant. They are painless and apparently harmless but can be scary as visual disturbances are the primary symptom. I've had them too.

    Hopefully they'll just fade away with time.
    I looked up the term. I found ocular migraine and visual migraine. The article said that they're different from each other in that an ocular one is in one eye while the visual one is in both. I seem to have experienced both of them in the past week. Strange! The article also said it's a rare condition, and can be triggered by foods "such as aged cheeses, caffeinated drinks, red wine, smoked meats, and chocolate." Well, just before last Saturday when this started, I had started eating a lot of Blueberries, as I mentioned in my first post. I'm still wondering if that was the cause. I've still been eating them, but at a reduced rate. For the past few days, I haven't had any more episodes.
    I'm sure glad they're just irritating and not painful. I'll take ocular/visual migraines over the painful headache type any day!

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #10
    xltjim
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2018
    Location: Illinois
    Posts: 21
    xltjim HB User
    Re: Sudden fuzzy and cloudy vision, but temporary

    Its sounds like you have done everything you can. Good idea to stay away from the blueberries for awhile and see what does or doesn't happen.

    Are you an anxious type person? I am. I could swear that is part of my spots/flicketing problems that I get. Always seem to be worried about one thing or another. The mind can play amazing tricks on us. Heck I worried myself into the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack (I didn't notice the flickering or spots when this was going on LOL).

    Anyway, good luck.

    Jim

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!