It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Progressively worse night vision

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
    sroth2407aa
    (female)

sroth2407aa HB User
    Progressively worse night vision

About a year and a half ago I started noticing vision in my left eye wasn't as sharp when I entered a dimly lit room. Then I noticed when driving at night bright signs and lights would have a halo/starburst effect around them - which continues to get worse. For example, when I now look at the moon on a clear night it blows up to a about 3 times it's size with somewhat of a kaleidoscope appearance. Now, even during the day I am starting to notice a small, faint halo effect around things. This has been in my left eye but notice my right eye is just now starting to show signs of the halo/starbursts at night.

I have had two top ophthalmologists give a full exam and lots of tests and find nothing and not neurological as I had brain/orbits MRI which was normal and I pass the "pinhole" test where when you look through a piece of paper with a very small hole in it the halos/starbursts go away. Vitaman A is good right in middle of the range. I do have Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism) which has not been treated correctly the last year and a half and we are just now working on that. I read some reports that hypothyroidism (under medicated) could cause night vision problems. I am hoping to see some improvement as I being thyroid meds again.

Thank you kind folks for any input.

Support
    Th

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2020, 04:16 AM   #2
    HistTech4
    (female)

HistTech4 HB User
    Re: Progressively worse night vision

I can not speak from personal experience, but what you said sounds like what my mother mentioned was happening to her years ago. She was told she had cataracts. I know you have seen eye doctors, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
    sroth2407aa
    (female)

sroth2407aa HB User

Thank you so much for the reply - yes I agree very much and I do have the start of a cataract in the right eye - so will keep this in mind. I appreciate your input!!

Old 12-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Definitely sounds like cataracts. I'm just waiting on mine to get to the size that they can remove them.

Old 09-22-2022, 05:44 AM   #5
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User

I have cataracts and have similar symptoms.

Poor night vision, glare from bright lights at night, blurry vision, colors appear dull or faded.

My eye doc says I have cataracts but they are not bad enough for surgery yet.

Reply Reply