It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Ocular hypertension and steroid nasal spray

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
    alex1987
    (male)

alex1987 HB User
    Ocular hypertension and steroid nasal spray

Hi there

I was diagnosed with ocular hypertension in September and am on latanoprost drops daily, which have lowered my pressures significantly.

Currently I have an ear issue which has been ongoing for a few weeks. It sounds like it is eustachian tube dysfunction, and the GP today has prescribed a steroid nasal spray (fluticasone furoate) and recommended an antihistamine alongside this.

I have nasal congestion on one side which appears to be causing the ear discomfort on that side, but am aware that any decongestants etc can affect IOP, so I have been reluctant to take any beechams, sudafed etc.

I am a bit concerned about using a steroid spray for 4–6 weeks as I have read that this can raise IOP, despite the doctor and a pharmacist saying that it shouldn’t cause any problems. Apparently this is a weaker steroid than another type of fluticasone? However I have done some reading online and there are plenty of mentions of raised IOP with these types of sprays, but it is unclear how this affects someone already on eye drops.

Anyway I am a bit paranoid these days about my eyes so wanted some advice - should the spray affect my pressures, or would the latanoprost counteract this and keep them low? Should I be concerned about using this or the antihistamine? The ear pain is very uncomfortable and I would like to get rid of it asap but am a bit reluctant to just do it and hope there are no effects on my eyes.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
    Bleue
    (female)

Bleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB UserBleue HB User
    Re: Ocular hypertension and steroid nasal spray

Hi Alex,
    Best to contact the eye doctor who is treating you to ask that question. Should be an easy phone call.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:32 AM   #3
    alex1987
    (male)

alex1987 HB User
    Re: Ocular hypertension and steroid nasal spray

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bleue View Post
    Hi Alex,
    Best to contact the eye doctor who is treating you to ask that question. Should be an easy phone call.
    Thanks. For anyone else who might stumble across this, the consultant confirmed that this would be ok as it’s such a small amount of steroids within this particular product.

Reply Reply