It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• IOL Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
    Robteesit

Robteesit HB User
    IOL Problems

I had cataract surgery back in 2001 with IOL implants and everything was fine until about a month ago. I went to the Doctor about a month ago for my yearly check up and he said all was ok. But in the last few days I am having problems with my right eye, it is real sensitive to light - like right after I had the initial surgery, and I am have difficulty seeing clearing out of it sometimes. He did both eyes one is near sighted and the other is far sighted(right eye). I still wear glasses to drive and watch tv, but I can work well enought to read and work on the computer without glasses. (The Doctor changed my prescription ever so slightly this last vist but I could not focus well enought out of the right eye with the new lens so I put the old prescription back in the right side. It seems as the day goes on I have trouble. I have adjust the TV set enough times that I am driving the wife crazy. Doing the right eye left eye closed routine I notice sometimes I can't focus out to the right eye until maybe I blink about 7 or eight times. My optomitrist had mentioned before I had the surgery, that in 50% of the cases of IOL implants the lens becomes clouded and a laser is used to clear this up, but I can't find any information on it. I haven't as yet rescheduled a vist to my ophtalmoligist because I feel I in a fast food joint, he get you in and rushs you out. If anybody can offer any suggestions on how I might handle this or any imformation on the laser procedure I would be most grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
    Kaylynne

Kaylynne HB User
    Re: IOL Problems

From what I understand (I had cataract surgery 10 yrs ago and the age of 38) sometimes the capsule that holds the IOL can become clouded. It's not actually the IOL. My doctor told me that he uses a YAG laser (I think that's the one he said he used) to punch a hole in the capsule and said it was no big deal. He also told me that since I had cataract surgery at such a young age that I was a good candidate for this to happen. Here it is 10 yrs later and I've had no problems. My right eye, however, is forming a cataract (bummer) and I'm still too young for this to be happening.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:33 AM   #3
    Robteesit

Robteesit HB User

Thanks Kaylynne, that eases my mind, I quess I will have to get it checked out. He didn't mention what the proceduce was called did he?

Old 11-29-2003, 07:44 AM   #4
    Kaylynne

Kaylynne HB User

It's called a YAG capsulotomy. I did an internet search for "capsulotomy" and found many sites that talk about it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
    FC
    (male)

FC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaylynne
    From what I understand (I had cataract surgery 10 yrs ago and the age of 38) sometimes the capsule that holds the IOL can become clouded. It's not actually the IOL. My doctor told me that he uses a YAG laser (I think that's the one he said he used) to punch a hole in the capsule and said it was no big deal. He also told me that since I had cataract surgery at such a young age that I was a good candidate for this to happen. Here it is 10 yrs later and I've had no problems. My right eye, however, is forming a cataract (bummer) and I'm still too young for this to be happening.

Good luck.

What was the cause of your cataract considering you were so young.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
    Kaylynne

Kaylynne HB User

Sorry to take so long to answer your question.... My doctor really isn't sure why I have cataracts at such an age. I'm not diabetic nor did I have an injury to my left eye. When I was in my 20's, I did get hit in the right eye with a softball but that eye is taking longer to form the cataract. I kind of think it's from spending too much time out in the sun throughout my life and not protecting my eyes properly.

Both my parents had cataracts but as the age you'd expect someone to have cataracts: in their later years. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones....

Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Yesterday, 11-1-06, 5 mo. after cataract surgery in both eyes, I was told the membrane to be yagged is in the center of where the natural lens used to be, and that it's left on purpose. Is that true? And why? I couldn't hear clearly everything he was saying. Is it possible this is not in the capsule or bag supporting the IOL? Isn't a capsulotomy?

There are risks to the retina, and I just read something about treating any retina weakness p0reventively. If you have a lot of diabetic damage, so that you couldn't have a multi-focal lens such as ReSTOR with your cataract surgery, is this Yag procedure contraindicated too, by any chance? There can also be spontaneous re-closing of the hole?

Last edited by Eagle; 11-02-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Closed Thread