It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    Question Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

The dangers of aspartame (nutrasweet) caught my attention the other day.
    Several studies have linked many eye problems with the usage of this sweetener. One writer said the methanol in aspartame converts into formaldehyde in the retina of the eye and destroys the optic nerve, which can cause various eye problems: blurred vision, floaters, double vision, etc.
    ....If you do a google search, you'll come across info on this subject.

Now, does anyone have or know of any bad effects of using aspartame, regarding eye/vision health?

I have double vision (diplopia) and have used nutrasweet for quite a while now and I am curious if this sweetener could have caused or even contributed to my condition?
    At first glance, I scoffed at the idea of nutrasweet being "dangerous", but after delving into this a bit, I am not scoffing anymore. Nutrasweet is in so many foods: soda pop, yogurt, cereals, chewing gums, candy, and the list goes on and on.........

Any info, anybody?

WarBonds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
    iicaptain

iicaptain HB User
    Re: Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

Just a short note to tell you that David Icke investigated this Apartame problem. It seems that Don Rumsfeld has some involvement with this company.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-03-2003 at 07:06 PM.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Hi guys: Isn't David Icke the guy who believes in lizardmen?

This is a copy of a post I did in Jan. 2001 elsewhere. I'm not yelling at you, Warbonds, I was a little cheesed off with the poster at that time and this is jsut a cut and paste.

----------------------------------
    To put minds concerned about "aspartame poisoning" at rest, the following institutions (a partial list only) have issued statements or papers advising that aspartame is perfectly safe:

American Cancer Society
    American Council on Science and Health
    American Diabetes Assoc.
    American Heart Assoc.
    Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Mayo Clinic
    Multiple Sclerosis Foundation
    Tufts University
    U.S. Consumer Information Center
    U.S. Food & Drug Administration
    World Health Organization

If you choose to believe that all these organizations are lying to you, or are involved in an evil conspiracy, or are being duped by the manufacturers of artificial sweetners, go right ahead. I, myself, would take the word of the Mayo Clinic over junk science on the net.

------------------------------------------------

Torre

Old 12-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User
    Angry Re: Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

I wish I still had the factual information about this poison called Aspertame that my cousin sent me on e-mail about two years ago. I've had bad experiences with it, and avoid it like the devil! It's nothing to play around with, and I just wish our FDA was a little more careful in approving what they claim is "safe".

Old 12-05-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Tony:

Some people react to things that are perfectly safe for others. The FDA says peanuts are fine, but they'll kill some folks. We shouldn't eat sugar either, but the human body is pretty adaptable and will put up with a lot. If getting aspartame out of your diet helped you--and plenty of people say it has helped them--great. It didn't make one bit of difference for me.

I'd love to launch into my "our beliefs and emotions cause our illnesses" spiel, but that really puts people off, .

Torre

Old 12-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

The information my cousin sent was documented, and not his or my imagination. I wish my migraine lights were in my head, I'd "think" them away. Maybe all of our problems are imagined, right?

Old 12-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #7
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    Wink Re: Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

.....I guess this is one of those topics, which will never have a definite answer...
    Personally, I have stopped using all products with aspartame for 6 days now, to see what happens, if anything.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions, that has to be respected.
    But Torre, I found your comments.....let's say..."abrupt".

WarBonds

Last edited by WarBonds; 12-06-2003 at 02:55 PM.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 PM   #8
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Hi WB: Abrupt...moi?

Torre

Old 12-08-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
    Mara

I eliminated use of aspartame from diet for several health reasons earlier this year. The only reason I used it in the first place was to try to correct the hypoglycemia since 1996. I won't touch the stuff ever again. I now use splenda and am looking into Stevia (natural).

Last edited by Gemi; 12-08-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

That's good that you are getting off the "poison", Gemi. Also, you, War Bonds. You will never regret that, but you might if you had continued using it. Just pays to be cautious.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:11 PM   #11
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Hi Gemi:

Aspartame is the sweetener from Hell and Splenda is ok? I have no problem with Splenda (or with aspartame), but it seems that everything is bad for you if you look hard enough. I got this from the "sucralose toxicity center", as if sucralose were toxic!
    -----------------------------
    Few human studies of safety have been published on sucralose (Splenda). One small study of diabetic patients using the sweetener showed a statistically significant increase in glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1C), which is a marker of long-term blood glucose levels and is used to assess glycemic control in diabetic patients. According to the FDA, "increases in glycosolation in hemoglobin imply lessening of control of diabetes.

Research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems in rats, mice, and rabbits, such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
    Enlarged liver and kidneys.
    Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
    Increased cecal weight
    Reduced growth rate
    Decreased red blood cell count
    Hyperplasia of the pelvis
    Extension of the pregnancy period
    Aborted pregnancy
    Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
    Diarrhea

----------------------------------

See what I mean?
    Stevia can't possibly be bad for you, but what do you wanna bet somebody will come up with a study saying it is?

Torre

Old 12-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #12
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    Smile Re: Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ??

Yes, and speaking of sweeteners.....remember sacharrin ??
    That was the golden haired kid on the block, back in the 60's and 70's. Now, you never see it anywhere, except in some toothpastes. Sacharrin is a "dirty" word nowadays.
    Maybe nutrasweet (aspartame) will follow the same road as sacharrin? Who knows?

As for myself, I am still off the nutrasweet, and I don't miss it one bit; drinking more water now, less soda pop.

WarBonds

Old 12-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #13
    Mara

Re: Dangers of Aspartame

I used to think if a product is mass produced and manufactured by a major label, distributed far and wide, FDA regulated it should not be dangerous.
    Regarding labels, you do have to read between the lines. We are in a buyer beware society.

Last edited by Gemi; 12-12-2003 at 09:31 AM.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:20 AM   #14
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    Re: Dangers of Aspartame

....basically the FDA is hooey! What they do, say or pass thru as "acceptable" means nothing....Look at all the stuff they approved of, over the years and THEN later on declared as unsafe, fenfen (spelling?) for weight loss, baycol for high cholesterol etc, etc....just to name a few.

Gemi, you are right.....buyer beware.

WarBonds

Old 01-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #15
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    Dangers of Aspartame (nutrasweet) ?? (UPDATE!!)

....Just an update.....

I still have been off Nutrasweet (aka Aspartame) completely since Dec 02, 2003; I don't miss it at all and furthermore I don't even think of it.

I am curious if there are any new comers to the boards (or old ones too!), who have had problems with nutrasweet and their eyes/vision,...ie, what happened, how long did it take you to recover?
    Not to be naive, but I did alot of google searching on aspartame a while back and the evidence against it is staggering. Now I know full well, not everyone will be effected by it in a negative way. But there must be some of you out there with stories....?

As I write this at this moment, I feel the muscles in my eyes are little more flexible and not as rigid. On certain occasions, I can make 2 images into one for a short period of time. I have diplopia/double vision. I seem to be heading into the right direction, slowly .....

Any stories to tell?

WarBonds

Last edited by WarBonds; 01-10-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Closed Thread