It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• floaters and flashes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
    somekid

somekid HB User
    floaters and flashes

i see this little tiny black spot on my right eye alot, usually when i look at light/bright stuff, like the color white. its not really big, but i still see it and everytime i try to look at it goes away. i went to some health sites to find out what it is and i found out its a floater. but i also sometimes see little tiny sparks, like bright spots that come and go, like if u look at the sun u see it in ur eye, anyways i sometimes see them, maybe not alot by i see them and i think theyre called flashes. i read about if u have these u could get retina detachment or somethin if not treated and i think that makes u blind and i really hope i dont become blind since im only 15. i also sometimes have twitching and my eyes sometimes hurt as well. does anyone know if my problem is serious?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
    somekid

somekid HB User
    Re: floaters and flashes

i think theyre sensitive to light since when i look at light they sometimes hurt and theyre also watery. anyone have any advice?

Old 12-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

The best advice I can give you is to ask your parents to take you to an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. There is no reason you should be having flashers at the age of 15. If they are sensitive to light, the flashers should go away a minute or two after the bright light has gone away.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
    somekid

somekid HB User

ok thanx, i already asked them and they said theyre gettin their eyes checked too and theyll bring me with them when they go. maybe im overreacting about this too much, cause i always overreact about little things about my health. anyways, i think i might just have allergies since my eyes get ichy, watery and hurt and i also have a headache. for the flashes, i dont know if they really are flashes, maybe i watch tv and go on the computer too much. i pretty much think i have floater cause i sometimes see a tiny black spot in my eye and it goes away when i try to look at it. is that normal for my age, the floater?

Old 12-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #5
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am glad your parents are going to take you to the eye dr. I don't think that floaters or flashers are normal for a kid your age. They are not really "normal" for anyone. They are just more common in older people. I am only 23 and I get them, but it is a side effect from an eye medication. My ophthalmologist watches me VERY carefully. The eye dr will probably want to check your intra-ocular pressure and maybe even dilate your eyes. None of it hurts and it is better to be safe than sorry. Floaters and/or flashers are not caused by allergies. However, the itchiness, redness and watering could be caused by allergies. The eye dr can check you out for that too. If you do have allergies a simple drop like Patanol would most likely solve the problem. Be sure to tell the eye dr about all of the symptoms you are experiencing. When I have a lot of things to tell my dr or ask him, I make myself a list.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #6
    somekid

somekid HB User

does it matter how long itll take for me to go to the dr, i mean do i have to go to the dr as soon as possible, or can i be patient? ive had this floater since summer, maybe even before then and i havent seen a doctor yet.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
    ILCovergirl

ILCovergirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somekid
    does it matter how long itll take for me to go to the dr, i mean do i have to go to the dr as soon as possible, or can i be patient? ive had this floater since summer, maybe even before then and i havent seen a doctor yet.
    I would call the eye doctor and get his/her opinion on whether they would want to see you as soon as possible or if it's something that can wait. I've had flashers and floaters since I was 12. Good luck to you.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:35 PM   #8
    somekid

somekid HB User

what exactly do flashers look like anyways? i dont know if i really have them. btw, once i started getting really worried about this, my eyes started hurting, but when i dont really think about it or when im not that much worried they dont really hurt, could they hurt just from anxiety?

Last edited by somekid; 12-10-2003 at 01:36 PM.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #9
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fllashers look like little (or sometimes big) flashes of light that pop out for apparently no reason. The only way I can really describe it is that it reminds me of when someone takes my picture and I have an after-affect from the flash. But it only lasts for a second or two. I would go to the doctor sooner rather than later. That way if you do have something wrong you can find out and start treatment. Any time you have a new eye problem you should go to the doctor right away.

Last edited by purple2067; 12-10-2003 at 06:20 PM.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
    somekid

somekid HB User

ok i went to the doctor n she said i was fine, the floater is normal. thanks for ur help people. cya

o yea, i thought i had flashes but i really didnt

Closed Thread