It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Cataract formation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
    FC
    (male)

FC HB User
    Question Cataract formation

I am 50 years old and recently told I have a mild cataract formation.
    Is there ANYTHING that can reverse or retard the growth of a cataract?
    The cause is either too much sun exposure or the fact I am nearsighted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
    CAGoober

CAGoober HB User
    Re: Cataract formation

Hello, FC. My understanding is that "once a cataract, always a cataract." I know the thought of surgery is rather frightening, but I've had it on both of my eyes, the first when I was 43, the second this past year at 49, and it's not as bad as you'd think. The worst part, at least to me, is the anticipation.

Did the doctor give you a time frame of the growth of it? Maybe it will be a long time before you have to have anything done.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
    FC
    (male)

FC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CAGoober
    Hello, FC. My understanding is that "once a cataract, always a cataract." I know the thought of surgery is rather frightening, but I've had it on both of my eyes, the first when I was 43, the second this past year at 49, and it's not as bad as you'd think. The worst part, at least to me, is the anticipation.

Did the doctor give you a time frame of the growth of it? Maybe it will be a long time before you have to have anything done.

My doctor told me it should be "some time" before I have to do something about it, but you never know for sure. How is your distance vision without glasses. Were you nearsighted before the cataract surgery?
    I found the following internet information encouraging and informative: [url]http://www.emory.***/WHSC/HSNEWS/releases/jun98/062998lens.html[/url]
    Was your surgery "no stitch, no patch" as the article indicates?
    Thank you for sharing information,
    Frank

Old 01-24-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
    crybabytoo

crybabytoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FC
    My doctor told me it should be "some time" before I have to do something about it, but you never know for sure. How is your distance vision without glasses. Were you nearsighted before the cataract surgery?
    I found the following internet information encouraging and informative: [url]http://www.emory.***/WHSC/HSNEWS/releases/jun98/062998lens.html[/url]
    Was your surgery "no stitch, no patch" as the article indicates?
    Thank you for sharing information,
    Frank
    I was going to see if I could have laser surgery in order to improve distance vision enough to pas a DL eye exam. The Doc said I had cataracts bad in both eyes and would have to correct them. He said no-stitch, small incision surgery with IOL implants would be enough to pass DL eye exam and also provide enough closeup vision for reading. The method used was "blended" IOL implants. The right eye implant was selected for distance since it was the dominant eye and the left eye implant selected for closeup vision. My surgery was outpatient on Jan 6 for the right eye and one week later, Jan 13 of this yearfor the left eye. I could see great the day after each surgery, after the dilation had dissapated. The only problem I'm having is adjusting to the 100% increase in the amount of light entering my eyes, since the cataracts have been removed. But its only been two weeks. I went down to the DL office on Jan 14 and passed the eye exam for my DL with no restrictions...

Old 01-25-2004, 07:04 AM   #5
    FC
    (male)

FC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crybabytoo
    I was going to see if I could have laser surgery in order to improve distance vision enough to pas a DL eye exam. The Doc said I had cataracts bad in both eyes and would have to correct them. He said no-stitch, small incision surgery with IOL implants would be enough to pass DL eye exam and also provide enough closeup vision for reading. The method used was "blended" IOL implants. The right eye implant was selected for distance since it was the dominant eye and the left eye implant selected for closeup vision. My surgery was outpatient on Jan 6 for the right eye and one week later, Jan 13 of this yearfor the left eye. I could see great the day after each surgery, after the dilation had dissapated. The only problem I'm having is adjusting to the 100% increase in the amount of light entering my eyes, since the cataracts have been removed. But its only been two weeks. I went down to the DL office on Jan 14 and passed the eye exam for my DL with no restrictions...

It's wonderful things worked out well for you. Your story gives me hope for when it is my time for surgery. How well can you now see the eye chart ie. 20/40, 20/30?

Old 01-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #6
    crybabytoo

crybabytoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FC
    It's wonderful things worked out well for you. Your story gives me hope for when it is my time for surgery. How well can you now see the eye chart ie. 20/40, 20/30?
    Since I now have "blended vision", my vision is tested with both eyes open. I have 20/25 and can read a newspaper comfortably at about 14 inches.I do a lot of computer work at about 24 to 30 inches and its fine.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:14 AM   #7
    creek14
    (female)

creek14 HB User

I am 48 and had cataract surgery about 7 months ago. I have a cataract growing in the other eye, but not bad enough to have surgery yet. My Dr suggested I try a couple multi vitamins each day to help stunt the growth. So far so good. At my last check up the remaining cataract had not progressed at all. This is amazing since the other one was a rapid grower.

BTW, don't fear the surgery. It's simple and painless. The only discomfort I had was what I would term a "scratchy eye" for less than 24 hours. I needed reading glasses before the surgery, so losing the closeup vision in that eye was no big deal. My distance vision is as clear as it was before the cataract started growing.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
    Robin52

Robin52 HB User

I also recently had both cataracts removed. You will not believe the colours when you can see again.No problems with op. I had general anaesthetic. Good Luck

Old 02-28-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
    Janni
    (female)

Janni HB User

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, 3 mos apart, 2 years ago at age 65. The outcome was wonderful! On my right eye, it was like there was a streak of cloud in front of it. I had no noticeable symptoms on the l. eye, but the Opthomal. saw it. For a week before the surgery, have to take a series of antiobiotic eye drops to prevent infection. The procedure was very simple. The outpatient eye surgery center I went to had a wonderful "assembly line" procedure set up, but the nurses and all were so nice. Go in early am without eating. They get you into a bed and started an IV, just in case needed, and gave a mild sedative called Versed. Shortly before the surgery they put numbing drops in, then wheel you into OR, and I was alert but very relaxed. I didn't feel a thing. They then put a bandage and a cover over the eye, I and was back in their recovery area in 15 min. Then they took BP etc, and give you juice or coffee and cookies! Can't drive yourself home because of the sedative in your sistem. Keep that cover on until the next day, when I went back to the dr, he checked it and took bandage off. Had to wear the protective cover to sleep for a few days. Able to shower right away, but could'nt swim for 10 days. No pain at all. Vision cleared right away. Had to use drops for, I think it was a least a couple of weeks after. Distance vision which was always good is now fantastic - can see the veins on the leaves on the trees and the feathers on the birds! Repeated the procedure 3 mos later for the second one. Believe me, I was scared beforehand. I'm like, "OMG, they're going to poke a hole in my eye!" I wear glasses for reading etc, but have since I was 40. This is probably more than you wanted to know, but I would have been glad to have had somebody tell me exactly what it was going to be like, but Ididn't know anybody to ask.

Old 02-29-2004, 01:17 AM   #10
    Robin52

Robin52 HB User

I too have had recent cataract surgery on both eyes, one last September and the other a month ago. I am 53. I was given a general anaesthetic both times, there was no pain. Previously I was unable to drive as they had got so bad. Now I drive without glasses and only need glasses for close work.Also the colours are now so bright.
    I have no regrets whatsoever. Regards Robin

Closed Thread