It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Changes in light intensity/halos/flickers etc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
    Greenman438

Greenman438 HB User
    Changes in light intensity/halos/flickers etc

Hi! I've been reading some of the posts on here regarding light sensitivity and other problems, and, boy, do I have a doozy for you. Any suggestions/discourse would be most welcome from anyone experiencing similar phenomenon! So here's the deal:

About a year ago, following a car accident which may or may not be part of the cause, I began to notice that my eyes seemed to be having trouble adjusting for changes in light intensity. Here's the symptom: When sitting in a dark room with a window looking out to a bright day, when I move my focus from the dark to the light, there is a brief flash or halo around the outline of the window, including the window itself a little bit. It is nothing more than a change in light intensity, like someone turns the light dial up, and then back down. Interestingly, it tracks in the opposite direction of the eye movement, so when I move my eyes to the left to look at the window, the intensity starts at the left side of the widow and tracks right, then settles down. It is more responsive to sudden movement, but can happen with slow movement as well in a situation with great contrast. Wal Mart drives me nuts with the flourescent lights. Accompanying this is a general photophobia. I see starbursts and halos around street lights at night, and lights seem to "wobble" a little. Hard to describe.

Also, there is a flicker in my right peripheral vision triggered by right to left eye movement that appeared recently. It is not visible in dark conditions, only when looking at light backgrounds. It also is stationary, it doesn't move with eye movement, like a scotoma. It happens briefly with the onset of movement and then disappears.

So! Now we move to what has been ruled out, who I've seen, etc. First was a trip to the ophthalmologist, who saw nothing wrong on the inside of my eye. Ruled it a brain problem and sent me on to a world reknowned neuroopthalmologist (they don't grow on trees). But not before I got an MRI with the works. All normal, orbits, brain, face, neck. Even tested for stroke by injecting metal into my veins. Nothing.

Neuro says the same thing, says there is no known pathology for this, and I am stumped. The flicker could be movement phosphenes, but I have no neuritis pain, and it is not visible in the dark. Could be a minor stroke, most likely not a timor, as I have no headaches, no blurry vision, no double vision, no losses in the visual field, and I have 20/15 vision.

Sunglasses severly reduce/mitigate the problem.

So! Any thoughts? Anyone experience anything similar? I also have a monster floater in my left eye. (It definitely floats, not scotoma). All the usual suspects for this have been ruled out or not noticed at time of examination. Otherwise healthy person. I have used hallucinogenic mushrooms in the past, but I would figure these symptoms would occur close to the time of the last dose? Help! Talk to me!

[real name removed]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2004 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Do not post your real name. The forums are for anonymus use only. Please carefully read, know and follow the board guidelines and posting policy. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread