It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• corneal transplant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
    QOD

QOD HB User
    Question corneal transplant?

To start off...
    I had surgery on my eye when I was 7yrs old, to remove metal from my eye that wasn't even there in the end. I had had infections for months, and they couldn't resolve them. Turned out to be herpes keratitis.
    With time I realised my vision wasn't the best... thanks to the corneal scarring and the occasional flare up of the keratitis.
    My cornea is now a nice scarred mess.
    I've been told I can have a corneal transplant... BUT... I don't want to deal with rejection or medicines or a 6 month recovery period.
    My vision in that eye is... well... nil really... blurry, horrid. I wear glasses as my good eye has compensated and since become far-sighted. But I cannot wear contacts, due to the corneal scarring. And my eyes cross when tired, sting a lot, usual fun.

What I am wondering is... has anyone out there had this surgery? How did it go? Did it take long to heal? Were there any complications?

I'm still debating this one...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
    quist349
    (female)

quist349 HB User
    Re: corneal transplant?

my son also has herpetic kiratitis and they say eventually he will need a transplant.I'll have to do some checking into for the name of this eye drop he was perscribed last year it was to reduce the scar tissue on the cornea.unfortunatlly it had to be give once every hour and it was near impossible to get a small boy to cooperate plus during school time ect ect. maybe you could look into other options. what kind of eye doc are you seeing? Do they use the floresent eye drop and the special black light to look at the eye? This is the ONLY way they can truly see the damage and weather or not it is active (Having an ob) make sure your doc specializes
    in ocular herpes and/or dieases of the eye,they are the only one qualified to make accurate decisions. good luck

Old 02-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User
    Re: corneal transplant?

I had a cornea transplant in January of 2003. I had herpes in my eye as a child. My parents thought that I was around six when it happened. I am now 46, so their memory isn't the greatest. I looked at school pictures where in the first grade my eye was clear and in second grade it was foggy. My cornea was so scarred that I could not even see the letter E at the doctor's office. The doctor was hesitant to do the operation because the brain does not fully make all the connections to the eye until the age of 5. If something happens to your vision before the brain has fully made all of the eye to brain connections, then your vision can never been repaired.

I was crossing my fingers that my eye to brain connections were fully developed.

The operation is easy. It is on a outpatient basis. You only might need Tylenol for a couple of days. (Believe me I am no hero.) For a month your eye will be slightly sensitive to the light, so you will need sunglasses when outside. It will be slightly blood shot for a month or two. You have to take antibiotic drops daily for a couple of weeks. You cannot lift anything heavy or do situps, or strenuous activity for three months. You take anti-rejection drops for one year. In the beginning it is several times a day, winding down to one drop a day. After a year you do not use any drops whatsoever. My doctor has me taking Acyclovir daily for 18 months to prevent a herpes outbreak on my operated eye. I have not had a outbreak in over 30 years.

I seems that my eye did not make the brain to eye connections in time. My vision will never be the same as my good eye. However, my vision is better than it was before & I can read 4 to 5 lines down past the letter E. I do feel relieved that if something was to happen to harm my good eye, at least now I can see better than I did before out of my bad eye. I was disappointed that I did not have better results. My husband's co-worker had cornea transplants done on both of her eyes and she now has 20/20 vision. Her success is what encouraged me to go through with the operation. She did not lose her vision until she was in her thirties.

If you and your doctor believe that you had the eye to brain connections in your eye before the cornea scarring, then I would not hestitate to get the transplant. I hope I answered all of your questions.

Closed Thread