It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Right Vission Loss, Numbness right fingers, pressure in right head

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User
    Right Vission Loss, Numbness right fingers, pressure in right head

Ok all. here's the deal. pressure on the right side of the head. temple area. sometimes with sharp pains.

sometimes I will have the symptoms of an ocular migraine. But, I will at the exact same time, have numbness in my right hand only in the pinky and ring fingers.

the classical fatigue, lasting for 20 minutes etc and sometimes spacy feelings are there as well. But what puzzles the optoms is the fact of the numbness.

anyone ever have this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User
    Re: Right Vission Loss, Numbness right fingers, pressure in right head

Moylan:

Absolutely. I often have numbness on one side with a migraine aura. Usually the left hand, sometimes my lips or left side of my face. Due to the side of the brain that is affected I sometimes have trouble speaking coherently as well.

Numbness is a very common symptom of migraine.

Torre

Old 02-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Right Vission Loss, Numbness right fingers, pressure in right head

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Torre
    Moylan:

Absolutely. I often have numbness on one side with a migraine aura. Usually the left hand, sometimes my lips or left side of my face. Due to the side of the brain that is affected I sometimes have trouble speaking coherently as well.

Numbness is a very common symptom of migraine.

Torre

Yes I do sometimes have trouble with speech etc too. My question is how serious is it? Most of the symptoms that i've got can be read off of tumour symptoms.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
    coppertop
    Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

If it is always on the same side, you should get it checked. Migraines should at least occasionaly occur on each side. Also, the numbness with migraines usually "moves" (called Jacksonian march) much like the visual aura usually moves across your vision than out.

I'm not saying that migraines have to fall under these rules, but those are a couple dignostic criteria that can be helpful to know if your dealing with migraine or something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coppertop
    If it is always on the same side, you should get it checked. Migraines should at least occasionaly occur on each side. Also, the numbness with migraines usually "moves" (called Jacksonian march) much like the visual aura usually moves across your vision than out.

I'm not saying that migraines have to fall under these rules, but those are a couple dignostic criteria that can be helpful to know if your dealing with migraine or something else.
    nope it does not switch sides. It is always on the same side and it is always involving the vission loss the same way, the numbness the same way. always always always. nothing changes. That's whats odd about it.

Ok, ive got enough of "second" opinions, and enough darned smarts to know its definitely time for a good exam by a doc....Anyone else have any comments continute to send em my way.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:00 AM   #6
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Moylan:

It is not unusual for the symptoms to always be on one side. In my case they were always on the left. It's only been in the last few years that they've started to switch sides.

T.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Torre
    Moylan:

It is not unusual for the symptoms to always be on one side. In my case they were always on the left. It's only been in the last few years that they've started to switch sides.

T.

Ok. But in all of these cases, have you any idea as to the root cause of the problems? how are you taking care of it now?

Old 02-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moylan69
    Ok. But in all of these cases, have you any idea as to the root cause of the problems? how are you taking care of it now?
    Moylan are you having migraines? They can cause the symptoms you described.

Common features of migraine:
    recurrent (1 to 5 times/month, but sometimes less
    last 4 to 72 hours or longer

triggered by migraine precipitating factor such as stress, foods, weather changes, smoke, hunger, fatigue, etc.

sensitivity to light, regardless of head pain

blurred vision (watch out for this one if it doesn't clear up after migraine goes away. See Eye MD)

Nausea and/or vomiting

sensitivity to noise

tenderness about scalp lasting hours or days after migraine gone

throbbing, pounding, achine or pulsating pain usually on one side of face or skull and often behind an eye (though sometimes pain can move)

cold hands or feet and maybe cold nose (not just when migraine happens)

prone to motion sickness regardless of migraine or not

dizziness/lightheadedness

lethargy

fluid retention with temporary weight gain.

vertigo

anxiety

a sensation of burning, prickling, tingling, numbness, (paresthesia) often occurring in one hand or forearm but may be felt in the face around jaw or in both arms and legs

auras/visual disturbances

stuff or runny nose

Less common features of migraines
    *mild loss of ability to read, write, or even speak (aphasia)
    *confusion
    *fever or moderate increase in body temp
    *seizures (rare)
    *loss of muscular coordination (rare)
    *temp paralysis (rare)

Symptoms to take seriously are listed as follows:
    * Headaches gets progressively worse over days or weeks
    * headaches have started suddenly; you've never had them before (especially important if you're over fifty***)
    *The headache comes on suddenly after coughing, straining, or exertion, which has never happened before
    *You experience changes in memory, personality, behavior, or level of consciousness (become confused)
    *Experience change in vision or in your ability to walk, general weakness, NUMBNESS, or loss of senses.
    *Stiff neck with a fever or a rash, or you experience a seizure
    *unexplained fever or breathing problem, as well as the headache
    *sudden or dramatic change in the severity of your headaches. If you get a very sudden and excruciating headache unlike you've ever had, consult a doc immediately.
    *headache after a head injury or accident, or after a sore throat or respiratory infection.
    *you have a constant headache with no relief.

***Sharp Temple pain on one side that does NOT switch sides and loss of vision for an individual 50 and over is very significant. Need to see physician to rule out Temporal Arteritis (TA)

anything that causes you to suspect it is stranger than the usual--call the doctor. Your gut instinct is the best So I hope this has helped to you discern when to call. Let us know what your doc says!

Last edited by californiasunflower; 02-20-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Moylan: I believe I know the trigger in my own case, but everybody is different. You've got to determine what seems to be the common cause for you and change that activity. I think stress is important to look out for (in my case, combined with bad back/neck, so tightening of those muscles). There is medication you can take at the onset of the aura. I found it made things worse for me, so I just take a bunch of ibuprofin. The herb feverfew (comes in capsule form) taken daily is supposed to prevent attacks. I took it for awhile, but had headaches so infrequently that I couldn't tell if it worked.

T.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User

ok, well I dont have migranes. in fact i've never had them. But you bring up a good point. back/neck pain.

I usually have a pinching type feeling around the T1 vert or possibly higher. every now and then that is.

Feverfew I took quite a bit when I had some dental problems. that stuff works like clockwork same with echinacia(spelling)

the biggest thing is that with the docs thinking its an ocular migrane, they go HMMMMMM when I tell them that the right hand, pinky and ring fingers only go numb at the same time as the vision problem starts. sometimes the speech and thought process gets tweeked, but mostly its the vision and numness as mentioned.

Once I told them that they seemed stumped.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:11 AM   #11
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User

Moylan: I think the problem is a simple confusion of terms. There is a difference between an ocular migraine and a migraine with aura (with or without headache). This is from the Cleveland Eye Clinic and should help clear things up, especially the last paragraph.

The aura of migraines
    The two main types of migraines are those that occur without aura or those that occur with aura. Aura refers to an array of psychologic or neurologic disturbances that occur shortly before migraine onset. Compared to migraine without aura, migraine with aura is the less common type, but it is perhaps more medically intriguing, and for patients who get them, more unsettling. (Aura also can occur without a subsequent migraine, a factor that can result in mischaracterization of the migraine type. More on this below.)

Auras typically last 5 to 20 minutes and involve symptoms such as vertigo (motion sickness or dizziness), imbalance, confusion or numbness; but most auras consist of visual disturbances such as partial vision loss, the appearance of "special effects" and distortion of objects. Sometimes the visual effects can be dramatic, says Dr. Mays—flashing lights, complex color patterns and shapes (e.g., triangles and dots), and floaters (the perception that some tiny foreign object is floating across the eye). An individual might also see shimmering or zig zag lines in the peripheral vision and blurriness in central vision.

The "one-eye" migraine
    In a related condition called ocular migraine, which is even less common than migraine with aura, individuals experience the same visual disturbances that occur during an aura, but the symptoms only occur in one eye. The aura that occurs before an ocular migraine is commonly followed by a migraine headache. And the same triggers that can bring on migraine with or without aura also can cause ocular migraine.

Ocular migraine can produce various degrees of vision loss or obstruction. Some patients, says Dr. Mays, report blind spots or "holes," referring to missing sections in the normal visual field, or they may experience a shade of black or gray over the visual field. Some people compare the visual phenomena of ocular migraine to the patterns produced by an old television with faulty reception, says Dr. Mays. "Others say it’s like looking through watery glass."

Ocular migraine symptoms are temporary and do not harm the eye; but they can interfere with daily activities, such as reading and driving and can interrupt the work day.

Confusing auras
    Although ocular migraine and migraine with aura are very similar experiences, one key difference is the source of the vision disturbances. In migraine with aura, the occipital cortex of the brain is the source of vision disturbances. In ocular migraine, it is the retinal blood vessels inside the eye. The retina is the thin lining on the back, inner part of the eye that prepares images for processing by the brain. An individual experiencing the aura of ocular migraine could cover or close one of the eyes and stop the symptoms. Not so for an individual experiencing traditional aura. "The symptoms affect both left- and right-sided vision," says Dr. Mays. "The source of the problem is the brain, not the eyes."

For some reason, says Dr. Mays, auras that occur without a subsequent migraine often get labeled—by patients and physicians—as ocular migraines. She speculates that it’s a combination of a lack of knowledge about migraines and the notion that if there are visual problems but no migraine, it must be an "eye," or ocular, problem.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:24 AM   #12
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User

Well H E double toothpicks....This would definitely put a damper into my flying...So essentially it comes down to this..

I've ither got or getting, migraines with auras, or i've simply got a cyst or tumor of sorts or perhaps a thrid element to this...

You see, I tend to rule out the migraines because the symptoms that I have fit the classic cyst, tumor causes along with the aspects of having increases pressure and or sometimes increased pain in the head when you bend down or what some call bearing down...

But your post is a most fascinating read...I will most definitely consider it as a major aspect to what I may have...

Another thing is that I again have had 2 blows to the head when I was younger. once to the back when I was about 6 or so.. and then once when I was about 15 or so. SO I've often thought that something could be associated with that as well.

I should be having my insurance taken care of this month and will be going ot the docs and running everything I know past them to see if they find anything.

The big thing is that If I go down there and they find nothing, like no tumors or cysts or infections, I'll sleep easier at night about that. but I will share all of your other frustrations of "if there's nothing there why am i in pain" routine.

Thanks all.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:25 AM   #13
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

Well are they ordering tests to see why you are having these symptoms, like an MRI to see if you have any unusual swelling to cause vision loss, extra CSF fluid (see intracranial hypertension aka PsuedoTumor Cerebri (PTC) to cause head pressure, or if you have any brain lesions--numbness?

Numbness, head pressure and vision loss are signs to be investigated IF not migraine.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 AM   #14
    moylan69

moylan69 HB User

yep usually when the two fingers go number, the rest of the arm feels fairly normal. but around the right temple area feels a bit numb too.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:20 AM   #15
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

Moylan, are you still experiencing vision loss in your right eye? Has anyone checked your eyes to see if there is any inflammation, hemorrhaging, etc.,
    With your vision loss, have you experienced any "flashes" of light?

I've experienced many kinds of auras, and for me, they customarily last 20 minutes, and during migraines, I typically experienced vision loss and many visual disturbances. I dismissed a vision loss as a typical migraine experience. When the vision did not return, continued weeks thereafter, I was seen by my phys who determined I had more than just a migraine aura problem. I was referred to an EYE MD. It has been almost a year later and I am still recuperating from this event.

So my questions to you is are you still having visual loss and has anyone examined your eyes?

Last edited by californiasunflower; 02-21-2004 at 11:21 AM.

Closed Thread