It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Aspartame causing dry eye?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
    rianny
    Inactive

rianny HB User
    Aspartame causing dry eye?

I was accidently reading an article, and it said that it is possible that Aspartame (artificial sweet) could cause dry eye. I know that Aspartame toxicity over the internet has been found to be a hoax, but I really think there is some reason why some young people (like me) can get this kind of disease. I've been dealing with dry eye syndrome since when I was 17 years old. Now, I'm 21, and will be 22 this year. The only thing that could make my eyes like this, that I can think of, is junk foods and sodas.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just becoming too sensitive in searching for a reason why I have this frustrating disease.

But, since yesterday I began eliminating all foods that may contain bad things such as Aspartame (that I mentioned above), and so on. I've eating only proper meals, and no beverage, no bread, no crack, no gum, etc.

I'm planning to do this for a few months and see if my eyes improve. It wouldn't be too hard, and I've tried everything to get rid of dry eye, but this. So, I guess it's worth a try.

Has anyone tried adjusting what you eat? Human body is all chemicals and what we intake, which is also a bunch of chemicals, must be directly related to our body. (Hmmm, I never thought about that until now)

Anyway, I'll post again here if any change occurs.

Last edited by rianny; 03-27-2004 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User
    Re: Aspartame causing dry eye?

Rianny:

I'm glad you're cutting out the crack. Drugs are never a good idea.

I don't have dry eye, but I did change my diet for a year and it didn't help my eyes one bit. I lost twenty pounds though. Hope it does work for you.

For anyone who is interested in trying a sweetener that is completely natural (made from ground plant leaves) and very sweet (so supply lasts a long time) the stuff is called stevia. Wish I could post a URL, but you can find it.

Torre

Old 03-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    Re: Aspartame causing dry eye?

I've got very severe dry eyes and I am young too. I'm 23 years old and have had it for almost 3 years. When this problem first started, my allergist put me on a very strict diet and had me eliminate all things artificial. I did it for about 2 or 3 months. My eyes didn't improve one drop. But yeah, I did lose some weight. But I'll stick with Weight Watchers for that!

Closed Thread