It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• watery eyes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
    laxsohk5311

laxsohk5311 HB User
    watery eyes

Hello,

I have a problem with my eyes watering all the time. I've been to an eye doctor and asked him about it but he said that there is nothing I can do about it. From what I have read on this board though, it seems that it might be a clogged tear duct or something like that. Do any of you know what the problem might be? Or how to fix it? And is there any perminant solution?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User
    Re: watery eyes

You should seek another opinion. There are lots of reasons for watery eyes, such as blocked tear ducts, allergies, etc. You might even have dry eyes. There are two kinds of tears--the kind that are oily and bathe your eyes when you blink, and reflex tears, the watery kind that you get when you cry. If you don't have enough of your regular tears, sometimes your eyes will compensate by producing more of the watery kind. But these watery tears don't "stick" and you get overflow.

If I was you, I'd see a board certified ophthalmologist.

Old 06-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
    laxsohk5311

laxsohk5311 HB User

I've searched but there are no other eye doctors in my area.

I'm probubly just going to go back to him again and ask him about it. Since he already told me I can't do anything, should I just mention mabye its because I have dry eyes or clogged tear ducts, ect.?

Old 06-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User

If you don't mind my asking, where do you live? Unless you live in a very small town, there has to be more than one eye doctor around. You just might have to travel a little bit. You could also contact your local teaching hospital and ask for the ophthalmology department. They can tell you who in your area would be best to see for this particular problem.

If you do decide to go back to the same eye doctor that you saw, ask him WHY your eyes are watery. Then you could bring up such things as dry eyes or clogged tear ducts. Don't let him just brush you off.

Once I went to an ophthalmologist who told me that I must not have dry eyes because I scored high on the schirmer test (they stick a piece of paper under your eyelid to measure tear secretion). But my eyes are SEVERELY dry. I just have enough of the watery layer, but not enough oil and mucus to make the watery layer stick to my eyeballs. So my tears roll right down my cheeks. So it seems as though my eyes are very moist because I have an overflow of tears. But they are dry.

And as reni mentioned, make sure to see a board certified ophthalmologist.

Closed Thread