It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Meibomian gland dysfunction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2004, 06:43 PM   #16
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
    Re: Meibomian gland dysfunction

Jen, what made your eyes start to turn the corner?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 11:33 AM   #17
    CSLewis

CSLewis HB User

Hi Purple - I think what helped me start to turn the corner was (maybe) when I actually STOPPED using the drugs that were prescribed for me by the FIRST doctor I saw(?). Does that make any sense? I think my eyes were just on "overload". Do you know what I mean? Has that ever happened to you? He had me on Patanol, Ciloxan (when I had Keratitis), Blephamide, and other stuff I can't even remember now. My condition just kept getting worse, not better! I even ended up in the emergency room one day. I begged him for a drug I could take orally instead of having to put in my eyes, but he said nothing was available. At that point I decided I wasn't going to put ANYTHING else in my eyes except artificial tears, and I said goodbye to that doctor for good. The next couple of months I spent just doing the warm compresses and lid massages (at least 6x a day). I also went through lots and lots of tubes of GenTeal Gel. Then I started seeing this new ophthalmologist (who diagnosed me with ocular rosacea) and began taking the doxycycline (100mg/day). I was already starting to feel a tiny bit better by this point, but I think the doxy helped move things along, once it really got into my system. The compresses and lid massages were the best, though. They helped to clear out the meibomian glands and get them functioning properly again.

How have you been? Have you experienced any improvement? What are your "tricks" for feeling better these days? I know you've had a pretty rough time in the past, so I hope you're doing better now.

P.S. I know that each person's experience with eye disease is unique, so I hope people don't think I'm suggesting they stop taking any of the drugs they are prescribed for their specific eye problems. It's just that in my personal experience the drugs I was taking were causing me more harm than good. I understand this is not true for everybody.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #18
    ajneedhams

ajneedhams HB User

To Jen:

I have ocular rosacea too and I am 35 yrs old. You have been a bit of an inspiration to me that just maybe, like you, I can get better. I have been symptomatic for 6 months, but only diagnosed with the ocular rosacea + posterior blepharitis for 6 wks. I have been on the doxy for 6 wks as well. Maybe I am noticing some minor improvements, but it comforts me to know that you said it may take much longer. I take a step forward here and there, and then a step back. I have only been doing the lid compresses and massages (in addition to scrubs) about twice a day, three at the most. You said you did them 6 times a day. Would you recommend increasing them then? I also use the Genteal Gel (at night) as that is when my dryness is the worst. Do you not experience the night burning anymore?
    I have swollen lids especially in the morning and some of my eye lashes are falling out. I wondered if you experienced anything similar. Did your redness eventually go completely away?

Well, thanks for listening to my concerns. I am happy that you are where you are today.

Amy

Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #19
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jsr, I have not heard of the doctor that you mentioned.

I think that since you are in Baltimore, and so is Dr. O'Brien (well, he's in Lutherville), it can't hurt to make an appointment with him. He does an extremely thorough eye exam and should definitely be able to tell you exactly what your problem is and what the best course of treatment is. He's one of the best in the country for dry eye treatment. A while ago I had asked a question on pay-for-advice board, where you could ask doctors questions. They told me they didn't know what is wrong, but to go see him. My local doctor told me to go see him (they're friends). I have consulted with some other ophthalmologists as well, and they all told me to go to Dr. O'Brien. (without me even mentioning his name) Unfortunately, there just may not be an adequate treatment available for this problem. I have seen him several times, and he always has good ideas for modifications to my treatment, but the "cure" has not been invented yet.

He wants to get me involved in a study for the new treatment for clogged meibomian glands, called Diquafosol. I keep calling to find out if I can be in it, but they don't know yet. I have MS, so they have to really read the study protocol and find out if I am excluded. I am going to have my local doctor call him for me on wednesday. Somehow he has an easier time getting through to him than I do.

At the very least, he has been able to tweak my treatment to try and make me more comfortable. He is also always there for my local doctor to call and get advice from regarding me.

He's a really really nice guy, too. He's very very very gentle. If you see him, tell him that Elyse from NY sent you. He'll know exactly who you are talking about (I'm the one whose local doctor grabs him by the arm at medical conferences and doesn't let go until he tells him my latest problems and asks him what to do with me. And I'm the one who came to Maryland and wound up in the Emergency Room at Sinai Medical Center with my very first gallbladder attack!!!)

I see that you are a medical student. Maybe you could make ophthalmology your specialty and find a cure for all of us. (too much to ask?? lol)

Old 10-31-2004, 07:42 PM   #20
    purple2067
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jen, my eyes have been status quo until very recently, when they started to feel worse. We just started having to put the heat on about two weeks ago, and that is exactly when my eyes started feeling worse. Almost immediately my left eye got really bad. The corneal surface is really beat up. I've been on Quixin (anti-biotic drops) since then because my doctor wanted to keep the surface clean while it heals.

My usual treatment has consisted of using hot comporesses 2-3 times a day, and using lots and lots and lots and lots of tear drops. I'm on 150 mg of Doxy for the last 4 months. We keep wanting to increase it, but the reason I'm on such a low dose is because I have acid reflux disease and anti-biotics can really upset my stomach. So we are taking it very very slowly. My GI doc was really against my being on it at all, but I've got to do something to help my eyes. I'm also using FML (steroid) ointment because my eyes are very very inflamed. And I have to always be on an allergy drop of some sort, because I've got year round allergies. So I am on Alamast, which is actually supposed to help lubricate the eyes. (yeah, right.) So when I'm not using the FML ointment, I try to use tears again gel drops or hypo tears ointment. Especially now that the heat is on, I've always got to have something thick in my eyes. I'm just soooo afraid that my eyes are going to get so dry that I'll scratch my cornea(s) again. In fact, my left eye has several microscopic scratches on the surface, which is why I'm on the anti-biotic. And winter hasn't even started yet. This is always my worst time of year. Sigh.

I have to go back to the eye doctor on wednesday. Hopefully my eye is healed and I can get off of the Quixin. I hate it. Last time I had this I was on anti-biotics for about 3 weeks until the surface healed, so I might have a little longer to go. What an ordeal. And it's not even like I did anything to make the surface bad, like rubbing it. That's just my eyes for ya.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:23 AM   #21
    lulu04

lulu04 HB User

Jen, it's wonderful to have you visiting the Boards again! I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I was starting to get concerned that, after one month on the Doxy, I hadn't seen any dramatic improvement. I feel much more relaxed now, knowing that it is normal for results to take a few months. It's great that you had a doctor with such a positive attitude; I would feel much less anxious if any of my opths had simply expressed the belief that I would get better. As it stands now, my only source of hope is reading these Boards and hearing stories like yours. So THANK YOU!

I do have one question for you, Jen: if I recall correctly, you used to experience some redness on the whites of your eyes, and at least one bright blood vessel. Has the redness completely gone away? Did the blood vessel disappear, or has it at least become less pronounced?

Old 11-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #22
    tris

tris HB User

Hi,
    I just saw this board. I am suffering the same thing you guys have. I had this problem because of lasik surgery. For the last four months, I have seen 8 doctors, 11 times. Seem no helps at all. I just want to ask you if anybody has oily pimples at the base of eyelashes. It come and go. Is the sure sign of MGD? All the docs I've seen told me that my MGD is not serious, but my eyes feel sore and irritated so much. It is very sticky when I go to sleep. No artificial tears, gel, ointment can help me at all. I am starting doxy today. I also has been doing lid scrubs, warm compress for the last two months.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #23
    Montgumski

Montgumski HB User
    MGD not serious? What would serious be, anything

that predisposes immediate blindness? Eye doctors only know the mechanics of how things work, none of them have ever had MGD because a) they would be out of job due to disability b) they know how to combat blepharitis before it progresses toward MGD. How can an eye doctor accurately gauge the impact of ones quality of life? How do you measure pain? morbidity?

Old 11-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #24
    ajneedhams

ajneedhams HB User

Hi Tris!
    Glad to have you join us on the boards. I've been suffering for 6 months and, like you, have sought out many different Drs. Hopefully starting Doxy will be a step in the right direction. Be forwarned though, MGD usually is very chronic and doesn't resolve in a few weeks. I do not have any oily pimples at the lash line, but I have a thickening in my lids which tells me the oil glands are inflamed. My eyes stick at night too. I think of my life before my eye problems and after. Life was so good just a few months ago that it is really hard and sad to comprehend the change.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say Hello. Also there is a good discussion over on the other thread "Dry Eyes...Help."

Amy

P.S.
    Montgumski, you are absolutely right. Drs who have not experienced this- would not know the level of discomfort and anquish. By the way, weren't you the one that was going to try the "Soothe?" If so, what has been your take on it??

Old 11-02-2004, 05:47 PM   #25
    Montgumski

Montgumski HB User
    Hi ajneedhams

I will keep this short, I'm not a very personable person.

I got Soothe last week and have used it a few times since. The drop itself has a different feel to it. The drops flow across the eyes very well because of the low surface tension of the fluid. They do contain a perservative and I'm not too thrilled about that. Personally, I cannot tell if they are doing much good, I refuse to put drops in every five minutes. If drug companies can't make a drop that last five minutes I will force them to make something better by not buying the drops.

Oh, and hi everyone else, I didn't read your posts but I sympathize with you.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #26
    calibug

calibug HB User

Montgumski, I'm confused. Does blepharitis lead to MGD? I thought they were one in the same (posterior blepharitis that is). I've always wondered if my eyes got worse because I wasn't treated properly in the beginning.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #27
    Montgumski

Montgumski HB User

Hi Calibug,

MGD is just a fancy way of saying chronic blepharitis. Blepharitis can lead to chronic blepharitis, when that happens the medical community calls it MGD.

If your blepharitis was caused by an underlying skin condition its possible that you weren't treated properly because opthalmologists don't study the skin. MGD is a special case where dermatology and ophthalmology need to collaborate, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #28
    calibug

calibug HB User

O.k. that makes more sense. It was just a nuisance before but got really bad this past January. No one knew it was because of Rosacea because my skin was normal. I started with the eye symptoms. My first doctor really wasn't helpful. He put me on antibiotics and didn't tell me how long I needed to be on them. I noticed later on my prescription that there were refills so I called the doctor and the nurse said, oh those refills are just in case your eyes flare up again. I later found out that was wrong. I was suppose to stay on the doxy... My eyes progressively got worse until finally this April I got back on the doxy.

He also never told me about preservatives in eye drops...just said keep using the drops he recommended...he didn't even seem to care how often I was using the drops...hourly. I found a good opthalmologist after him and he said that those drops were not a good idea. I felt much better changing to the preservative free drops.

I wish the doctor was more informative and discussed the links with skin problems and eyes more... I was clueless... This doctor was a very insensitive guy though. I asked him once about my eyelids and the way they were looking and if it was normal and he said don't look in the mirror so much. Incredible. It would be interesting to see how these doctors would react if they were in the same situation. It was my dermatologist that mentioned that there may be a link.

Do you have chronic blepharitis too Montgumski? What are your symptoms?

Old 11-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #29
    jsr

jsr HB User

Cali,

I wholeheartedly sympathize with the anguish that you and everyone else has gone through in dealing with incompetent or insensitive physicians. I feel like my condition was caused by insensitivity as well - For 2 years I was complaining about my eyes being dry from my contact use, and never did my opthalmologist once fliip up my eyelids to look for MGD (I didnt know it existed, or I would have made her) - finally, my condition got to the point when I knew something was wrong and I went to a family friend optometrist who instantly, upon my complaints, looked under my lids and found GPC - she was great, but unfortunately she couldnt prescribe steroids and also didnt have enough equipment (she couldnt believe that my doctor had never looked under my eyelids) - so for 8 months I went from insensitive doctor to insensitive doctor, who kept prescribing me different steroids and other drugs and who did not seem too interested in A) my recovery B) any side effects, ie. increased intraocular pressure C) informing me of necessary information I needed to know or D)other possible underlying conditions

I finally went to wilmer eye institute, where they diagnosed MGD instantly, and I am trying now (I feel almost too late) to treat it effectively and consistently before it gets any worse (my main problems are blurred vision and off and on aching)

Anyways, the main point of my response is that I am currently a first year medical student, and it amazes me to see how so many doctors seem to be completely insensitive to the magnitude of these diseases' effects on peoples' livelihoods. So many of the doctors lacked motivation to provide necessary information, and did not try to place themselves in the situation and treat my condition with the seriousness that it deserves. I hope that in my own practices I will avoid the desensitization that takes place (I also hope that I won't have to be out on disability like someone suggested!) and be thorough in my investigation and my communication with my patients. I wish you all the best of luck and will keep you informed of my own progress.

Jeff

Old 11-03-2004, 05:06 PM   #30
    CSLewis

CSLewis HB User

Hi purple - I remember you told me a while back that you are sensitive to the doxycycline. I'm sorry you have to start taking it again. Have you noticed any difference in your reaction to it if you take it at certain times of the day? For me, I found that the best time to take it was at night - a little while before I go to bed (1/2 hour) and at least 2 hours after I eat dinner. If I try to take it in the a.m. before breakfast, it makes me feel really sick. So maybe that's something you could try, if you haven't already. I hope it's helping your eyes, at least!

Hi lulu and Amy - hope you're experiencing improvement. In response to your questions: 1) I do have some veins on my eyelids, but the rims of my lids aren't red or swollen anymore. 2) I haven't had that gritty, burning sensation for over a year now. 3) My eyes don't feel dry anymore, and I am not sensitive to light or wind. 4) I do have some veins on the white parts of my eyes, but they are not as pronounced as they used to be. My eyes are definitely NOT as white as they once were, though. I think that's what I miss the most - having really bright, clear eyes. But I'm learning to live with it, and I'm just thankfull I'm not in pain anymore. Okay, keep me posted and let me know how you're doing!

Jen

Closed Thread