It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• eye symptoms make me worried!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
    Brava
    (male)

Brava HB User
    problems looking at white or bright surfaces

Hello, I have two questions about some symtoms in my eyes.

1. When I see a white or bright surface (the sky especially), I see somethings which is hard to describe. It's not floaters. It's something like bright spots moving around. It's kinda a vision of boiling. They are definetely not floaters. I have floaters also and I know what they are like. It's a really disturbing thing. Some objects make small movements. I mentioned it to my Doctor but he didn't either worried or understood the situation.

2. I have some episodes of strange feeling. It starts with some weird situation. I can see but not properly. I mean I see but I can't read for example. Then bright lights and zig zags appear in an eye, grows bigger and bigger it makes impossible to see clearly and always go off in 30 mins. Everytime I make a research in the net about it I find ocular migraine. Is it right?

Does anyone have any idea about these things?
    Thanks eveyrone in advance

Last edited by Brava; 12-03-2004 at 12:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User
    Re: eye symptoms make me worried!

Hello, Brava~ I'm not sure what your #1 problems are, but the #2, I'm pretty certain you may be having scintillating scotomas, or migraine aura or lights. I have those also, every now and then, and 30 mins. is, indeed, my average time for those things to finally drift out of my field of vision, til the "fireworks" are over. I have had them last for nearly an hour! My first episode of that occurred in about 1993. Strangely, it didn't alarm me, but it's good it didn't because I was in a small town minus an opthalmologist, and it was at night. I finally got an appt. with the one I was seeing in another town, and this is what he told me I was having. I had one just the other a.m. during sleep, woke up, and it just went away. I have no actual headache, thankfully, but I would bet that's what you are having. Hope all of that clears up for you soon!

Old 12-01-2004, 08:41 AM   #3
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I forgot to mention that I was told these "light shows" are harmless and are just the blood vessels contricting. No harm comes from them unless, of course, you do get a severe migraine, then that's a problem for your regular Dr. to help with.

Take care,

Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
    Brava
    (male)

Brava HB User

Thanks Anxiety Man.
    No I don't have headaches either. But usually after it's gone, I have these strange feeling and fatigue.
    I have them irregularly. Sometimes I have them 2 times a week and then 3 months not even one episode. I remember having one when about 15-20 years ago and another one in 10 years ago. But they are more often for about 3-4 years time.

I also heard it's harmless but it can come really inconvenient times and I don't know what to say to the people. "I can't see now, please wait for half an hour" may not be welcomed in a meeting or when people expects some urgent works from you.

My first question is almost mysterious. It seems noone, maybe not even the Doctor have any idea about it. It also happens to me for a long time. I wonder if it can be realted with stress, being tired, being sleepless, or some metabolism problems I have such high blood pressure or high uric acid levels.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
    madera74
    (female)

madera74 HB User
    Re: problems looking at white or bright surfaces

[QUOTE=Brava]Hello, I have two questions about some symtoms in my eyes.

1. When I see a white or bright surface (the sky especially), I see somethings which is hard to describe. It's not floaters. It's something like bright spots moving around. It's kinda a vision of boiling. They are definetely not floaters.

Hi Brava.. I am new to this board and actually found it because I was looking for posts on symptoms like this. I am a 30 yr old Female and have been experiencing a symptom like you describe since last Friday. It seems to be in my right eye only, and it's like I see a "shimmery" patch in the peripheral vision of my right eye. I am not sure if it is constant or not, but like you, I see it clearly when there is a light background. It's not shimmery like lights, but like a clear spot that just sort of keeps fluttering.

A bit of history on me, I had Lasik 4 years ago with excellent results and have had complete eye exams every year since. One month ago I had the Optomap retinal scan to make sure everything was fine, and it was. I was worried about this symptom and so I went back to the doctor the other morning and this time he dialated my eyes and did some additional tests. He said that everything looks just fine and that he is not concerned. I will probably not explain this correcly, but he said that the vitrious, the gel part of your eye, can sometimes contract or pull away slightly from the outer wall, which can give you some strange visual effects which are annoying but harmless. He said he saw nothing to be concerned about and that I didn't need to come back unless there was a change or I lost part of my vision. It still concerns me a bit since I've never had any floaters or visual problems, and the hypochondriac in me worries about some deeper medical issue, but if he isn't worried then I'll try not to be. Another thing is that with the changing seasons I am having quite a bit of sinus pressure and he said that could contribute also, since your sinuses are around your eyes. I do also get migraines and when I searched for symptoms it sounded like an "ocular migraine", but he said that can't be it since it has gone on for so long, that ocular migraines last under an hour.

Anyway, I hope this might put your mind at ease.. I am hoping that this spot is temporary, since it's rather distracting, and I hope that yours is as well!

Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
    Stella13

Stella13 HB User

Brava,

I believe your first symptom is this entopic phenomenon that i've talked about to others before. Blood vessels lie in front of the retina and very perceptive people can see the 'shadows' of them. They look like very tiny, very fast whirly-things. They can make it look as if I bright sky or white piece of paper is slightly vibrating. If you look hard enough, you can see a distinct pattern of the white blood vessels zooming around in very specific paths (the blood vessels). If you get your heart rate up, you may even be able to notice a movement to your heartbeat. Most people freak out when they first see this and run to the doctor. I've been told that it is demonstration of normal retinal fucntioning that most people block out. But some of us are too darn sensitive to seeing these things. I began noticing weird visual stuff with floaters. I'd try not to concentrate too much on them, just know that it is normal to see it.

I agree that your other visual symptom is an optical migraine - which causes no harm to the eye. You should feel lucky that the visual phenomena that you are seeing are benign! I know, it's still scary, right? I understand! Take care of yourself!

Have a good weekend!

Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
    stormygirl
    (female)

stormygirl HB User

brava,,,,I have ocular migraines too,,,i am 33 years old. It goes away after about 30 minutes,,,it's so annoying. I am always scared it wont go away when i have one..I hope we dont have anything serious.. Anyway it's called classic migraines..I do not know what causes them because i have kept a diary for about a year now, and nothing seems to trigger them. I do know i have more of them in the mornings after i wake up....Usually one . About 6 months ago i would have one every morning for about a week and sometimes i will go a couple months without one. I do feel tired after always...good luck to both of us

Old 12-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
    Ped04

Ped04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brava
    My first question is almost mysterious. It seems noone, maybe not even the Doctor have any idea about it. It also happens to me for a long time. I wonder if it can be realted with stress, being tired, being sleepless, or some metabolism problems I have such high blood pressure or high uric acid levels.
    I recently read a document elsewhere which talks about the little 'bubbles' which can sometimes be seen when you stare at a clear-light background. (i.e can be seen against a clear blue sky).

Apparently these little dots are actually white blood cells (the red ones are too small to be seen).

I have these too, although they seem to be quite obvious now, I don't have to even stare at the sky, just a quick glance and i see them.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with my other symptoms, hmm..

Last edited by Ped04; 12-15-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
    julie g

julie g HB User

i have had a permanent vision problem for several months now. i had a round of scans and tests eventually leading my neurologist to diagnose me with a kind of chronic migraine which is constant. i am now on medication. it seems such an uncommon thing that even my gp hadnt heard of this but thats what has happened to me.
    happy christmas
    julie

Old 12-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
    AvaTaylor

AvaTaylor HB User

i actually came on this board to see if anyone else saw these "shadow like boilers" i don't know how to describe it really either. they are balls that go in circles or something like that. well i dont know what they are either, but i only see them in the sky too. well just thought that i would add my two cents, i am glad that it is normal because it was scaring me for a while too!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
    starson
    (female)

starson HB User

Hi All, I am new to the group. I actually have a different problem other than eyes. This is the only site that comes up when I try looking for information. Anyway about two months ago, I was given EAR DROPS, Baush and Lomb-neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and hydrocortisone otic suspension usp. (whatever that all is) Anyway it is a very common ear drop that is applied into the ear canal. I used it exactly as directed, and after I was done, I HAVE PERMANENT HEARING LOSS in the right ear. It was the only ear I used the drops on. Now all the Doctors say it wasn't from the drops. I could hear perfectly fine before using the drops. Also did you all see the news today, where the 7 year old girl went blind from using Children's Motrin?????? I was wondering if anybody out there has ever had anything like this happen to them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have had a cat scan, there shows no fluid behind the ear drum either.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #12
    starson
    (female)

starson HB User

What about achy eyes, the feeling one would get if they had been up for days??? I sleep a good 8-10 hours a day, and when I awake, within 20 minutes, I need to go back to bed and even if I sleep 5-10 minutes, it alleviates the problem. Anybody out there with any similar symptoms???? Seen the Eye Doctor, and it was normal, thank goodness, but going back to bed everyday, just to function, is ruining my life. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread