It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• I have a question about strabismus.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
    Peter_Griffin
    (male)

Peter_Griffin HB User
    I have a question about strabismus.

Hi all, I'm 14 years old and I'm cockeyed. I had surgery for it several months ago and it got a LOT better. But I still can only see with one eye and if I try to see with both eyes, I just see everything blury. I also noticed that a few months after my surgery that my eyes have gotten less straight, barely but enough for people to notice that I have strabismus. Right after my surgery nobody noticed that I had strabismus (that's how much better my eye got) but after i noticed my eyes getting less straight, everyone can notice and I'm very self conscious. I also noticed that when I get very close to the mirror, I can see with both eyes clearly at the same time and they actually get perfectly straight. I took a picture of me looking at the mirror very close with both eyes and indeed they are straight. I was wondering if that would be good eye exercise, to look in the mirror for a while, since looking at it up close makes it straighter. Before I forget to mention this, I only use one eye at a time to see clearly but I switch them a lot, is that good or bad? Please answer all of my questions. Thank you.

P.S. I've heard about glasses with prisms but I'm not sure if I should because I'm scared that the glasses might be too big and people will make more fun of me at school. That's basically why I'm trying to get my eyes straight. Are glasses with prisms very big or do they look like normal glasses?

Last edited by Peter_Griffin; 12-28-2004 at 07:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User
    Re: I have a question about strabismus.

Hi Peter!

Do you know by chance if during your surgery they adjusted ALL your muscles?....or did they just do two? (IE: the two horizontal ones)...

I've had strab surgery twice...the most recent a year ago....the first, did an awful lot like you were describing....looked great for a short period of time...went down hill from there. (I'd say within 6 months).....my doctor only did two of the muscles that time.

Last time he did all four muscles and did adjustable sutures (let me tell you those hurt)....anyway it's been a year and it still looks pretty good. Not perfect, and I hope your not trying to achieve perfection cause it just won't happen ....

As for the vision, it's generally normal for it to change somewhat....remember the position of your eye has changed...my RX changed both times after surgery......but if it's really affecting it dramatically do not hesitate to talk to your doctor......I only see out of my right eye anyhow (I CAN see out my left, but unless I 'need' it my brain turns it off) so I guess on that score I'm really no help.

Ask your doctor about exercises too...they help some people, but not so much so with severe cases I think. My BIL did some for a period of time when he was young, according to him it helped. I believe he just had to spend x amount ot time a day 'following' a tennis ball....but I really cannot be sure as that conversation was quite a while ago!

Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
    Peter_Griffin
    (male)

Peter_Griffin HB User
    Re: I have a question about strabismus.

I had surgery on my two horizontal muscles. I didn't even know I could do it on all 4 muscles. I'll try to ask my doctor. Thanks for your help.

Closed Thread