It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• 13 Year Old Son Lost Complete Color Vision In Right Eye

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
    MJWINNER
    (female)

MJWINNER HB User
    13 Year Old Son Lost Complete Color Vision In Right Eye

ON 12/31/04 MY SON AND I WERE ON A BOAT IN FLORIDA DURING A SUNNY AFTERNOON. HE LOOKED UP AT THE SUN AT ONE POINT AND REMARKED HOW STRONG IT WAS THEN COVERED HIS EYES WITH HIS HEAD DOWN. WHEN HE LOOKED AROUND AFTERWARDS HE NOTICED THAT HE COULD ONLY SEE BLACK,WHITE AND SHADES OF GRAY WITH HIS RIGHT EYE. I THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD GO BACK TO NORMAL AFTER WE GOT BACK IN THE SHADE. IT'S BEEN A WEEK NOW AND HIS STILL HASN'T GOTTEN HIS COLOR VISION BACK. WE VISITED HIS DR.THIS PAST THURSDAY, HIS EYE LOOKS NORMAL AND THE DOCTOR HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS. HE HAS SCHEDULED A CAT SCAN FOR THIS WEEK TUESDAY AND AN APPOINTMENT WITH A RETINAL OPHTHALMOGIST ALSO. I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND ANY INFORMATION ON THIS CONDITION ANYWHERE ON THE WEB NOR DO ANY OF THE DOCTORS OFFICES HAVE ANY PRINTED INFORMATION ON THIS ISSUE. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS CONDITION BEFORE? DOES ANYONE KNOW A WEB ADDRESS WHERE THIS TYPE OF VISION LOSS IS DISCUSSED. I HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL, IE: NATIONAL EYE INSTITUE, PREVENT BLINDNESS, MAYO CLINIC, MEDLINE,NLM GATEWAY SEARCH, JUST TO NAME A FEW. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS, ...PLEASE!undefined

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User
    Re: 13 Year Old Son Lost Complete Color Vision In Right Eye

Hello:

The following are quotes from the net. Don't know if they will be of any use.

There are many obscure macular retinal disorders that can lead to a loss of color vision, and many of these syndromes are inherited as well. There may also be a problem with a generalized loss of vision with these problems as well. Other retinal problems can lead to a temporary disturbance of color vision, such as Central serous chorioretinopathy, Macular Edema of different causes, and Macular Degeneration.

Optic nerve disorders such as Optic Neuritis can greatly affect color vision, with colors seeming washed out during or after an episode.

It sounds like you are describing light toxicity - which can occur during any eye surgery when the microscope light remains on the retina for an extended period of time. The difficulty is that what is a fine amount of light for many people can be ''too much'' for selected patients.

One useful resource may be some of the researchers into retinal light toxocity. Laurence M. Rapp, Ph.D. at Baylor College of Medicine peforms research in this field.

--------------------------------------------

Me again. The migraine is suspicious. Let's hope that this is just an unusual migraine aura that will resolve soon. I have had damage from light toxicity; however, it causes a blind spot, not only a loss of colour vision. To test your son's visual acuity, ******** an Amsler grid from the net. He will be able to tell if any areas of the grid are missing.

Torre

Old 01-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Is it the ENTIRE eye?? I have posterior vitreous detachment in half of my right eye, and in that area I can only see in washed out shades of gray and black. Did he have any flashing lights or anything like that prior to him saying he is only seeing in black and white? Did the doctor do a DIALATED eye exam? If he didn't, I'd go with that first because then he could SEE if it's a PVD, it would save the trouble of a CAT scan!
    He seems too YOUNG for that, but you never know! If it's that, it's a very benign condition and could clear up in weeks, months or even years. If he HAD a dialted eye exam and they didn't see anything, then I presume you'd have to go further.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
    MJWINNER
    (female)

MJWINNER HB User

Thank you very much for this information. Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM my son has an appointment with a RETINAL OPHTHALMOGIST. They will dialate his eyes among several other tests. They told me they will be seeing him for about 3 hours. He had no vision problems before this happened. He only looked up at the sun for a second or two. I will post what the doctor says tomorrow. Thank you again.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
    MJWINNER
    (female)

MJWINNER HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunlover
    Is it the ENTIRE eye?? I have posterior vitreous detachment in half of my right eye, and in that area I can only see in washed out shades of gray and black. Did he have any flashing lights or anything like that prior to him saying he is only seeing in black and white? Did the doctor do a DIALATED eye exam? If he didn't, I'd go with that first because then he could SEE if it's a PVD, it would save the trouble of a CAT scan!
    He seems too YOUNG for that, but you never know! If it's that, it's a very benign condition and could clear up in weeks, months or even years. If he HAD a dialted eye exam and they didn't see anything, then I presume you'd have to go further.
    yes it is his entire eye, no spots and he saw no flashing lights just before it happened as his eyes were closed. There is nobody in our family who has had this sympton before David. He had no vision problems before this happened. Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM my son has an appointment with a Retinal Ophthalmogist. They will dialate his eyes among several other tests. They told me they will be seeing him for about 3 hours. His cat scan is scheduled at 1:30. The doctor will let me know after he examines David whether he should proceed with it. Thank you for your response. Greatly appreciated. I will post what the Doctors says tomorrow evening in case you are interested. thanks again

Last edited by MJWINNER; 01-10-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
    MJWINNER
    (female)

MJWINNER HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Torre
    Hello:

The following are quotes from the net. Don't know if they will be of any use.

There are many obscure macular retinal disorders that can lead to a loss of color vision, and many of these syndromes are inherited as well. There may also be a problem with a generalized loss of vision with these problems as well. Other retinal problems can lead to a temporary disturbance of color vision, such as Central serous chorioretinopathy, Macular Edema of different causes, and Macular Degeneration.

Optic nerve disorders such as Optic Neuritis can greatly affect color vision, with colors seeming washed out during or after an episode.

It sounds like you are describing light toxicity - which can occur during any eye surgery when the microscope light remains on the retina for an extended period of time. The difficulty is that what is a fine amount of light for many people can be ''too much'' for selected patients.

One useful resource may be some of the researchers into retinal light toxocity. Laurence M. Rapp, Ph.D. at Baylor College of Medicine peforms research in this field.

--------------------------------------------

Me again. The migraine is suspicious. Let's hope that this is just an unusual migraine aura that will resolve soon. I have had damage from light toxicity; however, it causes a blind spot, not only a loss of colour vision. To test your son's visual acuity, ******** an Amsler grid from the net. He will be able to tell if any areas of the grid are missing.

Torre
    Thank you very much for this information. Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM my son has an appointment with a RETINAL OPHTHALMOGIST. They will dialate his eyes among several other tests. They told me they will be seeing him for about 3 hours. He had no vision problems before this happened. He only looked up at the sun for a second or two. I will post what the doctor says tomorrow. Thank you again.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Hi, I'm just wondering how your son made out??

Closed Thread