It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Severe Dry Eyes- Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #1
    wifey702
    (female)

wifey702 HB User
    Question Severe Dry Eyes- Question

Ok. Well, 1st off all, let me explain my situation. I used to wear contacts, and then in Dec 1999, I had a kidney transplant. When I awoke from surgery my eyes were infected, they said it was conjuctivitis. They gave me medicine for it, and it went away. After it was gone, I wore my contacts again and eventually my eyes started getting dry. (Also, I have Lupus, since I was 12, i'm 26 now.) So, I stopped wearing contacts, and just wore my glasses. Well, my eyes started getting worse and worse. Constantly watering (literally every 5-10seconds) so I have to wipe my eyes with a tissue every 10 seconds, which sucks, I walk around with tissues all day everyday. Also, my eyes are red, burning, VERY sensitive to any light, especially the sun, and I get slimy stringy stuff which I have to wipe out b/c it blocks my vision.

I went to the eye dr, and he said my eyes are watery, red, sensitive and have slimy stringy stuff b/c my eyes are severely dry and aren't being lubricated enough. He said that's why they are always watering, b/c they aren't getting lubricated my eyes keep making tears to try and lubricate them..but everytime my eyes makes the tears, it looks like i'm crying b/c my eyes just water water water. Also, he said they make slimy stringy stuff too lubricate my eyes, b/c the tears my eyes are making aren't lubricating them enough. Also, he said they are very sensitive to the light b/c I have scars, abrasions on my cornea due to the infections I was getting (conjuctivitis) they left scars which make my eyes VERY sensitive to any light/wind, and ect ect...

SO, I asked him.. so what do I do??? He told me to use Gental Drops every 2 hours during the day, and artificial tears (preservitive free) whenever during the day... and Refresh PM Oinment before bedtime to keep them lubricated during the night. He said he'll see me back in a month, which will be Arpil 11th, and if it's not any better, we'll try something else. So far, it's not helping.. my eyes still are constantly watering, and STILL making the stringy slimy stuff.... =( Any suggestions? Ideas? Comments? Help!?

Thanks
    Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
    Veronicaberry
    Inactive
    (female)

Veronicaberry HB User
    Re: Severe Dry Eyes- Question

sounds more like blepharitis. Look at the skin right above your eye lashes? are the veins really visible?

I think you need to see a better doctor.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
    calibug

calibug HB User
    Re: Severe Dry Eyes- Question

Always good to get a second and even third opinion. I have blepharitis too (red veins on eyelids) and eyes are dry but do water too. Think those are the reflex tears. did he ever say anything about your oily part of the tears...(how well your meibomian glands are functioning??)

Veronica..do those red veins ever disappear or fade?? How long have you had bleph? Do you know what your cause is??

Good Luck, Angela. Hope you get some comfort soon!

Closed Thread