It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Weird vision problem: what on earth could this be?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User
    Weird vision problem: what on earth could this be?

I have no idea what this problem could be, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. It's hard for me to describe, so forgive any lack of clarity in what follows.

The basic symptom occurs in my peripheral vision. The best way to describe it is a "strobe light" kind of effect, with what I see in the periphery seeming to "flicker" in a fairly indescribable way. For example, I could be reading a book, and see the words fine, but the periphery around what I'm seeing appears to somehow seem "weird" as if it were a strobe - thought this description doesn't quite convey what it's like.

I first noticed this about a week ago, whilst looking at my computer screen. But it's only got noticeably bad in the last couple of days. It's worse when I'm looking at something still; when I'm moving around and my eyes are moving it's not all that noticeable.

I'm not on any medication, and I don't have many other symptoms, besides floaters. In terms of vision, I only have a light astigmatism, I don't know if that's related.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, post them. I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong, and I'm scared out of my skin right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Weird vision problem: what on earth could this be?

Hi Bin Man, Is this a constant "strobe light"? Are the lights a zig-zaging kind of light?
    Zig-zagging light could be migraine. I get those...but no headaches with them. Are you nearsighted? I've had tons of retina problems. I have a kind of fluidy light in the peripheral of my left eye. This is caused by some thinning of the retina. Can also be caused by the vitreous body, which tends to shrink as we age. This shrinking can pull on the retina, causing the lights. But if you are having floaters also, you should have you ophthamologist check it out. Best thing always with new eye things is to have them checked by a good opthamologist. Good luck and keep us informed. Everyone here is very caring and concerned for one another. ~H~

Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User

Thanks for the response.

I don't think it's constant; at least until the last couple of days it hasn't been enough for me to notice it. It's more of an odd kind of subtle "flickering" in the peripheral vision of the eye. And it's only really noticeable when I focus my vision on a single point - when my eyes are moving there's not so much of a problem. There's no zig-zagging light, however.

I suppose it could be some kind of migraine problem. I've had headaches and the like before. I'm only 18, so I'd think it unlikely to be a major vision problem related to aginf of the eyes. I'll see how things fare over the next few days.

Any other help and advice would be most welcome.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I have posterior vitreous detachment (shrinking of the vitreous that pulled away from the retina) and even as I write, I'm strobing! I've had it over a year already and I don't notice it anymore. However I also have a huge cloud in 3/4 vision of my right eye - even THAT I got used to! So I'd just have it checked to make sure the retina diddn't tear (999 out of 1,000 it didn't!), but no one wants to take even that 1/1000 chance! It may go away in a few months, it may go away in years - but after several months you'll never even "see" it anymore unless you think about it - believe me.
    When I first got it the strobing would be a horrible bright light if I closed my eyes, it would drive me "MAD" when trying to sleep at night! During the day it would be black (I'd think that I was seeing the refelection of a ceiling fan out of the corner of my eye), now it's very "muted" and like I said, I don't notice it at all.

One thing? DON'T be scared, it is NOTHING... absolultey nothing bad! The worst it could be is that it tore the retina and that could be zapped with a lazer - sometimes they don't even close it if it's really tiny, they just keep a watch on it. I already had a little hole that closed on it's own.

The only way it would be bad is if you are one of the unlucky 1 out of 1000 who's retina tore and you DON'T get it looked at - then it could detach and that you don't want!

Old 05-09-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User

Thanks for the replay, Sunlover. I'm glad someone can kind of relate to this.

I intend to get it checked out by an opthalmologist at some stage; but it still seems odd to believe it's to do with the eyes, not the brain.

The reason I say this is that it's happening in both eyes, I'm only 18 - making fluid changes and the like unlikely - and I have no other visual problems.

Whatevr it is, I just hope it goes away soon. I won't be able to adjust to something like this; my vision's literally like I'm in a nightclub with the strobes on full right now. Gah...

Thanks again for the advice, any more would be most welcome as well.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User

It's still there, it's making me dizzy, and I've been checked and given the "all-clear" in terms of retinal tears, detachments or other ocular problems.

I'm at a loss as to what this is now. Any ideas?

Old 05-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
    raqwest
    (female)

raqwest HB User

Hey. I have this problem as well, but only in one eye. Actually my problem is almost identicle to Sunlovers, although the 3 docs I have seen tell me it is nothing. If it is bothering you that much and making you dizzy I am very surprised your opthal did not recommend you see another type of doctor. I think you should see your primary GP or a neurologist. They could do other tests like an MRI to rule out any possible problems. I had 2 MRIs that showed nothing, but at least I have a piece of mind.

Please do not sit around and worry about it that will just drive you crazy!! Believe me - I have been there! Just try to find a doc that will help you and give you piece of mind.

Good luck to you.
    Raquel

Old 05-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
    Im_a_twin
    (female)

Im_a_twin HB User

I have the same thing and I had a mri done april 6th and it showed I have a arachnoid cyst pushing into my optic nerve. I get sever eye pain and it feels like I am missing part of my eye when I try to look side ways. I also have ms as well so some of my symptoms may be from both the cyst and the ms. The prizems are very weird as well. Have you see a neurologist if not then you should.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:40 AM   #9
    Bin_man
    (male)

Bin_man HB User

I've got a referral to a neurologist "in the pipeline", but it'll probably take months or at least several weeks and I don't know if I can last that long.

All I can do is hope this passes.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
    outback974
    (female)

outback974 HB User
    My weird vision problem/and dizzinessHELP

I get dizzy when i use the computer or do any close work e.g. read. i can see far i.e. drive, watch t.v.etc. i also get dizzy at other times too. i have been to all kinds of doctors. no one knows what it is.i cant work. the neuro opthamologist thinks it is ASTHENOPIA plus my eyes have always had an imbalance. I have gone to ear doc, shrink, neurologist, tropical medicine doc. No one knows

I get relief if i lie down or, believe it or not, drive. some days are better than others.

PLEASE help. it is hard for me to even use the computer. but i am desperate. been like this six months

Old 05-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Bin man, I got dizzy when I first got that problem too! I could hardly grocery shop! I'd be trying to find something on the shelves and the more I moved my eyes back and forth the worse it would be - and it would be strobing PURPLE! It doesn't do that anymore, but it was only in one eye. I don't know why it would be in BOTH eyes for you unless it's something else.

Closed Thread