It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Contacts vs. Glasses

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #1
    bobafett573
    (male)

bobafett573 HB User
    Contacts vs. Glasses

i may be having to get either glasses or contacts soon since my eyes have been hurting like crazy. i'm not quite sure how contacts work though. obviously they go on your eye but that seems like it would be painful. i know just getting an eyelash in my eye hurts like crazy. also, wouldn't they possibly fall out if you looked down or something? the whole concept seems a little confusing to me. i mean, i'd be fine wearing glasses but people wouldn't notice the change if i had contacts. are contacts really as painful/uncomfortable as i seem to be thinking they are? which do you prefer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
    uberkelly
    (female)

uberkelly HB User
    Re: Contacts vs. Glasses

Hi Bobafett,
    I was in 7th grade when I first got contacts and wore them 10+ years. I couldn't even touch my eyeball without it watering like crazy and hurting. The first time I tried to put a contact in my eye, it took a half hour!! Just for one contact! Once I got it in, I couldn't feel a thing. It was great. At first, I had a really hard time putting them in, but of course, after a while it was like nothing. Now I could touch all over my eyeball and it wouldn't hurt at all.

Just please take care of your contacts and give your eyes a rest once in a while so they can breathe. Take my word for it.

Last edited by uberkelly; 05-23-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Hey,

I was afraid of contacts for the longest time too. Like uberkelly, it took me forever to get them in at first. Now it's a piece of cake. If you do decide on contacts, your eye doctor will make sure the measurements are right for your eyes. Contacts shouldn't hurt, though.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
    bobafett573
    (male)

bobafett573 HB User

let them breathe? what the heck does that mean? how can i take them out yet still see fine and for how long? doesn't it hurt to take the contacts out? it seems like it'd be harder getting them out than in.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
    fallen_5555

fallen_5555 HB User

First off when you say hurting, it might not be related to vision problems and may be another condition. Since my eyes started to get worse (problems seeing far away) the only pain I would get would be headaches from squinting.

As far as contacts go, there are two options, soft or hard ones. You can also buy weekly, daily, monthly, yearly lol contacts that you dispose of. The contacts I wear are one of the most common brand called 'acuvue 2' and they are worn during the day and removed at night when I go to bed. I store them in a case during the night with contact lense cleaner and let them soak. After two weeks, I throw them out and put in a new pair. I'm not sure of the right word, but they 'conture' or shape to your eyes when you put them in and if fitted properly won't fall out. The acuvue contacts are a light tinted blue just so if you drop one you can easily find it. And other than that people can't tell you are wearing them.

I personally find contacts much easier to wear than glasses, just since I hate staring at the frame lol. Contacts are difficult to get in when you first purchase them, but someone at the optomotrist will show you how to insert them properly. After the first few days they are very easy to put in and remove with no problems. I find contacts very comfortable and don't even really notice I'm wearing them during the day.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by fallen_5555; 05-23-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
    bobafett573
    (male)

bobafett573 HB User

to clarify the hurting things, it's an ache. for the past two weeks (with the exception of today), i've had a constant headache with my eyes aching horribly. in a previous post, someone agreed with me on my guess that it was eye strain (most likely from my high computer usage). i do have another question though. i've had a headache for the past 2 weeks and for the first time today, i actually had it feel much better. it still hurt but just not nearly as bad as usual. is it possible i could suffer from eye strain yet not get a bad headache every single day?

Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
    uberkelly
    (female)

uberkelly HB User

boba, sorry I didn't explain myself. I just meant to let your eyes "rest" by not wearing your contacts EVERY single day, all day. Maybe one day a week wear your glasses. But it's not a big deal--you haven't even started wearing contacts yet!! I only brought it up because I now have an eye disease from wearing contacts. But don't be alarmed!!! It is not common and not something you need to worry about. I shouldn't have even said anything about it.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
    greeneyes100
    Inactive
    (female)

greeneyes100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberkelly
    boba, sorry I didn't explain myself. I just meant to let your eyes "rest" by not wearing your contacts EVERY single day, all day. Maybe one day a week wear your glasses. But it's not a big deal--you haven't even started wearing contacts yet!! I only brought it up because I now have an eye disease from wearing contacts. But don't be alarmed!!! It is not common and not something you need to worry about. I shouldn't have even said anything about it.
    I wear Day and Night Contacts by Focus. They are so comfortable. They allow 6 times more oxygen into your eye than regular contacts. You can leave them in for up to 30 days. It's up to you though. You can take them out, but I have left them in for 30 days. I had a hard time getting the contacts out, but I found a tool called Contact2 which you can buy online. they look like plastic tweezers with rubber balls on the end. They are safe for your eye and your contacts. I can get contact out in less than one minute; before, it took me an hour to get it out and my eye became very irritated that I had to take a rest from the contacts.

Also, I use "Blink and Clean" eye drops which actually clean your contacts while they are in your eyes and also lubricate. I use these morning and night.

Good luck!

Closed Thread