It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Glaucoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User
    Question Glaucoma

Hi all, to say im shell shocked would be an understatement,just been told by the eye hospital i have glaucoma in both eyes, worse in the right. Have been given the drops (Xalatan--Latanoprost) to put in every night. I have many questions, so dont be shy.
    1.How the bloody hell do you put the eyedrops in?And at what time should i use them, just b4 bed or an hour or two b4?
    2.Are there any sports that cannot or recommended not be done?(this includes jumping on a trampaline)(its the kids, yes i know,but we are all kids a heart)
    3.Plane travel,long haull, short haull, if at all?
    4.Can i use any other medication, ie asprin, hayfever, tabs,beer(budd)!!
    5.computer use, is it ok to carry on useing it,(i use one at work 8hrs a day on and off) and which screen is the best option, lcd or crt?
    6.I enjoy a hot bath, not good for the blood pressure i hear, what about eye pressure?
    7.Are there any foods, natural remadies that may help the condition?
    8. And to end for now,do the drops make the eyes more sesitive to light?

Many thanks for reading, any feedback would be helpfull,

Oh and by the waY ,im a 37 year old male with no family history at all of the above condition so any views on what may have contributed would also help.

johnthebom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Glaucoma

Johnthbom, Sorry you've gotten the news on glaucoma. Just want you to know you can live your life just as you did before. You will just need the be diligent with the eye drops, and don't skip dr. visits. Those are both important.

1. Putting drops in: Tilt head back. Get bottle in position, and then look(with the eyes) as far left, right, up and let the drop go. Easier if you don't look straight at it.
    2.Sports: Go for the Gold!
    3.Travel: See the world, any way you can. Hand-carry your meds!
    4. Read all medicine labels!!...some increase eye pressure, especially decongestants (cold, allergy meds)
    5.I use computer all day at work, too. Then come home & spend another few hours on it at home.
    6. I don't know of any problems with baths.
    7. Foods/Natural remedies: Haven't found any miracles yet, but lots of vitamins are good for the eyes.
    8. Light sensitivity: I would think that the eye could become light sensitive from the drops if you were allergic to them or they dialated your eye, which I doubt Xalantan does.
    There may be many causes of IOP. Heredity, or in my case zillions of eye surgeries. I'm not sure they really know why on eperson gets it and someone else doesn't.

Find out all you can, write down questions for the dr. adn take the best care of your eyes you can.
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. I drink beer...it doesn't seem to affect the IOP adversely, but good question for the dr.
    Lots of people here probably know more about it than me...hopefuly they will put in their 2 cents.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User
    Cool Re: Glaucoma

Thanks Hellarules,can i ask how long you have had the condition and has it got worse over time while useing the medication or stayed the same?
    my main concern is the future,and the effect it may have on my life?
    does anyone out there know of anyone who,s had like glaucoma for 20-30+ years and still going strong? i know every person is different but it would be nice to know all the same.
    cheers, JTB

Last edited by johnthebom; 06-08-2005 at 03:27 AM.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey JTB, I developed high IOP about 18 yrs ago after retina surgery. It only affects one eye, but pressure has stayed same with drops for that long. Of course there are different causes of High IOP, and everyone is different. There are newer drops out there, and there are surgeries also, if the glaucoma becomes acute (as opposed to chronic).
    As far as the future...make your plans and live your life. No one has anything promised to them for tomorrow. Keep a positive attitude, make your dreams come true, & try not to dwell on "what if's". Learn all you can about glaucoma & always keep you eye check-ups.
    Wishing you smooth-sailing into the future...
    H.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User

My clinical findings now point to normal tension glaucoma which i am led to think is not the best condition to have.
    Any advice anyone?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
    qwerty75

qwerty75 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnthebom
    My clinical findings now point to normal tension glaucoma which i am led to think is not the best condition to have.
    Any advice anyone?
    Normal tension glaucoma ("normal" eye pressure) is the same as primary open angle glaucoma (higher eye pressure), except for the eye pressure readings.

Normal tension glaucoma can be more challenging to manage b/c your "normal" eye pressure (not "high" eye pressure) is doing damage to your eyes. Basically, it can be more difficult to decrease a "normal" eye pressure, as compared to a "high" eye pressure.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
    kee4u
    (male)

kee4u HB User

Hi Johnthebom, Sorry to hear the news i have lived with Congenital Glaucoma for 45 years now. I'm almost blind out of my left eye and i have fairly good vision in my right eye using glasses.
    I also had problems getting use to taking eye drops. I take my eye drops in bed just before i go to sleep and when i just wake up in the mornings. I'm on Xalatan and Ocupress.. I can tell you that for me Xalatan lowered my eye pressure (iop) and i have no side effects maybe a little iching for a minute or so.
    Far as i know you can live a normal life and do just about anything. Smoking can increase your eye pressure ( I smoked for 20 years i stoped 8 years ago) and make sure you see your Dr. you don't want to lose your eye sight.
    Oh yes i take Xalatan at bedtime. I wish you well.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
    explorer8
    (female)

explorer8 HB User

I've have glaucoma (age 52), diagnosed & treated for 12 years now, and no significant change has occurred (thankfully) since treating with eyedrops & having regular checkups. I understand it's often hereditary occurring every other generation (for example, one of my grandmothers had it -- by the time she was 95, it was near total blindness, but she drove a car til she was 93! I never did know when she started treatment, so this may not be inevitable..) The good news is that research continues and treatments advance.

( removed - please read and follow the posting rules )

Best wishes to you.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-29-2005 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Members may not post anything about other message forums/chats/boards.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
    Dakota
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota HB User

1.How the bloody hell do you put the eyedrops in?And at what time should i use them, just b4 bed or an hour or two b4?

I do mine right before bed....I was diagnosed at the tender age of 12...so I've been dealing with this for quite some time... I don't even really tilt my head back...just pull the lower lids down and put the drop in the lid.

2.Are there any sports that cannot or recommended not be done?(this includes jumping on a trampaline)(its the kids, yes i know,but we are all kids a heart)

Never stopped me from doing anything

3.Plane travel,long haull, short haull, if at all?

Never stopped me from traveling....just make sure if you fly that you have your meds (In their prescribed box) with you instead of checking it.

4.Can i use any other medication, ie asprin, hayfever, tabs,beer(budd)!!

Some meds say do not use if you have glaucoma....so read the labels

5.computer use, is it ok to carry on useing it,(i use one at work 8hrs a day on and off) and which screen is the best option, lcd or crt?

Mine is a normal monitor and I'm on it all the time....i haven't had a problem.

6.I enjoy a hot bath, not good for the blood pressure i hear, what about eye pressure?

I'm not a bath person so I honestly don't know

7.Are there any foods, natural remadies that may help the condition?

None that I know of

8. And to end for now,do the drops make the eyes more sesitive to light?

Depends on the drop (From my experience), if your having problems with this ask your doctor as they may want to put you on something else (though I suppose it depends on how long the sensitivity occurs)...

For example I was on Timoptic for some time...and after a few years of use my eyes could not tolerate it anymore...felt like I was putting acid on my eyes and they were sensitive towards light for a short time after that. So they switched me.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User

Thankyou all who have given advice, im off for my checkup Tuesday 18/10/05 so fingers and everything else crossed it has all been stoped in its tracks with the drops im takeing, i have got over the shock of the findings way back in May and as being advised, just getting on with it.thanks again for the support, Johnthebom

Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnthebom
    Thankyou all who have given advice, im off for my checkup Tuesday 18/10/05 so fingers and everything else crossed it has all been stoped in its tracks with the drops im takeing, i have got over the shock of the findings way back in May and as being advised, just getting on with it.thanks again for the support, Johnthebom
    Just wanted to wish you good luck on the appointment. Mostly it's a treatable disease and "catching" it early is a plus!
    Anytime you have questions or concerns, check back in. Everyone here is great & will readily help if they can.
    Hellas

Old 12-21-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User

Thanks for the support, i will just keep dropping away until otherwise.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
    johnthebom
    (male)

johnthebom HB User
    Unhappy Re: Glaucoma, feeling low

Hello all, well its 2008, time does fly.

Just an update on my condition, my sight has started to get slightly worse and the doc has changed my meds to Xalacom. My pressures seem to be around 12-14 - both eyes, with every test i have, but i have lost some more vision.

Got to say im feeling low, just dont understand why i have the condition in the first place. I cannot find a connection in my past family at all so i am questioning the fact that i may be doing something wrong with my health which is the cause. Of course my main worry is what the future will bring, guess im not alone on that one.

Has anyone heard of any major medical breakthroughs recently in the study of Glaucoma, especially the normal tension version?

thanks, John

Closed Thread