It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• droopy upper eyelids-- can contacts be to blame?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
    kyethra
    (female)

kyethra HB User
    droopy upper eyelids-- can contacts be to blame?

I am 22 years old. For about a year now I have been wearing RGP lenses for my astigmatism and I like them as far as vision correction goes. When I first got them I had a tendancy to squint, but that went away as I got used to them.

Now my boyfriend first noticed this, and I have too, and my upper eyelids droop. My eyes are only about half open most of the time and when I look in the mirror I notice that they are starting to cover the pupil.

But I only seem to have my eyes half open when my contacts are in. Otherwise my eyelids might be a little droopy, but not as bad.

I also have chronic sinusitus.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Why would my contacts cause me to have trouble like that? When I wore soft contacts I did not have that problem, but I got dry eyes and switched to the RGP lenses. I don't feel differently or anything, but they are visably drooping. My insurance doesn't cover vision care unless it is a medical problem so I am waiting to go to the eye doctor when I can afford it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
    kyethra
    (female)

kyethra HB User
    Re: droopy upper eyelids-- can contacts be to blame?

Ok I am going to answer my own question. A friend found a website that led to an article...

turns out that the hard contacts can cause the drooping upper eyelids. probably because of either the pulling moition used during lens removal or irritation to the upper eye lid.

so I am just not going to wear my lenses for a while and see if it gets better.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
    timtim
    (male)

timtim HB User
    Re: droopy upper eyelids-- can contacts be to blame?

I have noticed this a little bit and I have soft contacts. I'm 24 and have been wearing them for a little over a year. It seems as my eyes arent as wide open as they used to be. My top eyelids look a bit bigger and more droopy to me. Also, when i went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago, she told me to open my eyes as wide as possible and i was trying so hard and they werent really getting much more open she said. I think the contacts may hahe some effect on this.

Closed Thread