It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Unequal Pupils

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #1
    sombodyelse
    (male)

sombodyelse HB User
    Arrow Unequal Pupils

Hi, I was wondering what the general consensus is on unequal pupils, well I know what it is, its bad! but, what I don't understand is, my pupils are generally fine, but sometimes in the morning, when I wake up, they are unequal, they do react to light, but they are quite NOTICEABLY unequal, I have had my eyes checked by 2 opticians, who both say apart from being a little short sighted in my left eye, my eyes are healthy, and my doctor says I am not showing enough signs of neurological trauma to be sent to a neurologist, but I pushed and got an appointment, because of the fact I said they were unequal in the morning! I went to 2 opticians and 3 doctors and every time I am there, my pupils are equal, and fine, but in the morning, often they are REALLY not equal, for maybe 30 mins or an hour, please can somebody shed some light on this for me? I seem to have normal co-ordination, I can think OK, and balance seems fine, I only feel a bit unwell when I worry excessively about this, when I am not worrying I feel not noticably bad in any way, I can catch and play football fine, I can train weights at the gym OK, I have got a slight pressure/tension headache, but that may be because of the fact I am worrying so much, and have been under so much stress lately, ALLOT, I am worrying a GREAT deal about there being something wrong with my Brain.

Thanx very much for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
    ebmd
    (male)

ebmd HB User
    Re: Unequal Pupils

Hi sombodyelse -

I also noticed that I occasionally have unequal pupils (by about 1 millimeter or less). I've noticed it for 10-15 years. When I asked my ophthalmologist about it, she did not seem surprised, and said that something like 20% of the population has this. I'm sure it depends on what the degree of difference is, but it seemed that as long as both pupils respond to light, it's not something to be too concerned about. For me, I notice it more when I'm very tired. Best to be sure, though, so hopefully they'll see it sometime.

ebmd

Old 09-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
    myope33

myope33 HB User

Try going to the doctor as soon as you wake up and have them see your unequal pupils. How unequal are they

Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
    sombodyelse
    (male)

sombodyelse HB User

In dark light, approx O o
    In bright light a bit less different than this really o <--- no they are not goggle eyed haha these are the best characters I can find to LOSELY represent the size difference I am talking about.
    Extremes like this never happen --> O

Basically if I jump out of bed some mornings, not always, and go straight to the mirror while I am still half asleep, I can sometimes see a CLEAR, not BIG, but CLEAR difference in size, if I turn on the light quickly, they both shrink, and the size difference is smaller than when it is darker, but it IS there, you would have to have a close look mind, and even if I jumped out of bed, drove straight to the doctors and charged into his office I can garantee they would be close to, if not fine, when he got to see them.

what could cause this? am I getting neurological trauma only when I lie down or something?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
    dianneom
    (female)

dianneom HB User

Hi Sombodyeles,
    Have you seen a Neuro-Ophthalmologest?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
    sombodyelse
    (male)

sombodyelse HB User
    Unhappy Re: Unequal Pupils

No I live in the UK and we dont have fancy people like that! haha I have seen 2 opticians, and 2 doctors, and told them all, and they all say my pupils/eyes are fine, and its nothing to worry about, but I pushed and got a referal to a neurologist, which I have a week monday, I am scared..

Old 09-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
    myope33

myope33 HB User

I have an idea, can you have someone take a picture of your pupils as soon as you wake up? This will be the proof to show your non believing doctors. I hope you find an answer for this so you feel better and not get scared *hugs*

Old 09-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #8
    sombodyelse
    (male)

sombodyelse HB User

Ye thats a good idea, I will do that, mind you I dont think the doctor does not belive me, my usual doctor is a good doctor, which is why he did bother to refere me to the neurologist but he said "if it was anything bad why only in the morning! why not all the time"

But he refered me to the neuro to be on the safe side, I have my appointement a week on Monday, and along with my mild headache I can tell you, remaining NOT scared is not an easy task.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
    myope33

myope33 HB User

keep us to date and also let us know if the picture develops right. Can you post it(the said picture) here? Maybe one of us can help!

Closed Thread