It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Possible detachment--retina or vitreous?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
    turl

turl HB User
    Possible detachment--retina or vitreous?

Why on a weekend and on eve of vacation???

I did a neck flexibility exercise 2 days ago which included moving the eyes back and forth when the head was turned far to one side. I guess I got over-zealous and moved them too hard/quickly. Anyway, today I have flashes of light in sides of one eye and same eye also seems to have an increase in floaters. Does this necessitate a trip to the ER (prompt care maybe?), or can it wait til Monday to see an opthamalogist? I can't imagine doing that could cause a detached retina, but I have been reading about vitreous detachment. Vision isn't affected, except for the annoying floaters. Anyone had this happen before?

Thanks.
    Tab

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #2
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Re: Possible detachment--retina or vitreous?

Hi Tabs
    Both flashes of light and increased number of floaters can be a symptom of detached retina. Doubt if it would be caused by the exersizes you did, although a good whack to the head can precipitate a detachment. It is a very good idea to have it checked by an opthalmologist as soon as possible. It may be nothing serious, but always good to check these things out. If your vision changes or you develop any loss of vision in the peripheral, get to a doctor or Hospital ER (preferably one equipped for eye problems) sooner.
    The vitreous detaching can also cause these symptoms, so a good eye exam is essential.
    Good luck and hope it's nothing serious. Occular migraines can also cause a zig-zaggy flashing light effect. I get the zig-zag on occassion, but never accompanied by an actual migraine headache. But I've had 5 retina detachments, too, and they are both similar in what you see.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
    turl

turl HB User

Thanks for the response, Hellasrules. I think I'll keep an eye on it....since it's the weekend, etc. I'll definitely be alert to any further changes. I just imagine that those very quick "glances" back and forth that I did allowed for a detached vitreous.

Wow, 5 retinal detachments? Have you ever heard of rebounding (mini-trampoline) as a way of strengthening the eye? As I looked up eye stuff last night, I came across mention of it. Who knows....might help with preventing future occurences.

Thanks,
    Tab

Old 10-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Haven't heard of that. But with my luck I'd get dizzy, fall off the trampoline, whack my head and have another detachment !! Think I'll pass. Might help the blood circulation in the eye, but doubt if it'd help my (already) weak retinas. Thanks for the thought though.
    And take care those eyes!
    Hellas

Old 10-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
    turl

turl HB User

Rebounding is excellent for helping keep the lymph system flowing well, and also for bone density (preventing osteoporosis) because of increasing gravity on the skeletal structure. If you can't jump up and down, you could try one of those big exercise balls and gently bounce up and down on it (while sitting, of course). I'd think you'd still get many of the same benefits.

Tab

Closed Thread